Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:51 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,783,444 times

Advertisements

Im thinking of getting the Ultra HD FlipVideo Camcorder for $149 thru Amazon.Com . Does anyone have this specific model ? Happy with it ? Looks simple enough to work and quality is surprisingly good for the money. Comments ? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 01:32 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,863,398 times
There are a lot of sample videos:

Search videos for 'Ultra HD FlipVideo' on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/videos/search:Ultra%20HD%20FlipVideo - broken link)

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...snum=0&spell=1

I have a friend who has been using the original Flip camcorder for several years.

It really depends on what you want to accomplish and what you are capable of doing.

Video editing has been a hobby of mine for a few years....

Rich

Old 12-11-2009, 01:52 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,883,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Im thinking of getting the Ultra HD FlipVideo Camcorder for $149 thru Amazon.Com . Does anyone have this specific model ? Happy with it ? Looks simple enough to work and quality is surprisingly good for the money. Comments ? Thanks.
Seems like you want to spend about 150 dollars ?
Use that number as a guide, and then visit your local pawn shops.
Find one that you like, get the model number and manufacturing date, then do some research on the net.
I got a 350 dollar unit, with all the bells and whistles I needed, for 100 dollars *out the door*.
You'd be surprised how much good stuff is available, simply due to the bad economy today.

Some features, you *must* have.
Digital Image Stabilisation.
An external microphone input.
A way to down load your movies to your computer.
NOTE: not all computers have a way to receive a Firewire connection, so check. If you do not have a Firewire connection on your computer, is there a slot open to add one ?
If it is a USB connection, you're OK, since most all computers have a USB connection.
Just keep in mind that most *upscale* video recorders are still Tape driven, so do not let a tape driven camera stop you.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:20 PM

5,597 posts, read 15,414,408 times
Someone shot this video with a Creative Vado HD camcorder (under $125):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thrAB7ksbu8

Old 12-11-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Someone shot this video with a Creative Vado HD camcorder (under $125):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thrAB7ksbu8
That looks like a Creative Vado commercial to me. The shooting and editing appears to have been done by professionals or very experienced people. It probably represents about the best you can get and display on YouTube.

My question would be, how difficult would it be to transfer the video from camcorder to computer.

What software did they use to edit the video?

What are the formats of the video produced by the Flip and Creative? And what software comes with each camcorder?

I usually reccomend a $100 or less editing package, but that shy's people away.

Rich

Old 12-12-2009, 06:56 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,783,444 times
IVe looked at YouTube for sample videos using a FlipVideo CamCorder. For the money, clarity of image, ease of operation, and downloading to computer/ direct uploading to YouTube...I think this will fit the bill for me. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:20 AM

You might also look at Camcorders - Independent Camcorder Reviews, Ratings & Comparisons .

Rich

Old 12-12-2009, 08:49 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,924,871 times
I've been looking at the Kodak Zi8 pocket video camera. Has anyone had any experience with this make and model?

Old 12-12-2009, 10:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,158,252 times
The youtube video is not a good example because it's been converted from the source (I'm assuming) but a couple of things to note about that video. They are using tripod and any pans they do are very slow and precise, as noted by Ponch_NM it was probably done by professional. Also there isn't a whole lot of action. Because of the way highly compressed video is encoded when you have a lot of action, movement and/or if it's handheld footage it will cause issues with low bitrates. High compression video relies on previous and subsequent frames to achieve low bitrates, the encoder recycles content when little changes in the frame so you can get these very low file sizes. When you have constantly changing content such as the typical hand movement from handheld footage you need higher bitrates to compensate. If there isn't enough you'll get macroblocks which are the artifacts that are typical on a lot of video avaiable on the internet. Here's an example, I prepared this video for an article and used a low bitrate specifically to highlight the problem. The lights are producing these blocks because they are flashing and moving very fast.

When you're looking at any of these cheap cams the first to look as is does it uses a widely accepted codec, resolution and framerate. It appears the Flip passes all those tests. Why that is important is for variety of reasons especially when considering highly compressed video like that produces.

Two problems I would forsee with such a cam, firstly the bitrate is not that great. Appears that is set at 9mbps which isn't low but isn't high either considering the codec(h.2640) and resolution(1280 x 720) . When you're using this cam I'd strongly suggest using a tripod or try and make sure you stable surface to shoot from.

Secondly and probaly more imporatant it only lists 8GB of internal memeory and I don't see listing for adding external capacity, if that's the case that cam is only going to be good for less than 2 hours of viseo and you'll need computer to download it too before you get space back.

For the cost I'd suggest it's worth it, for serious video though especially if you want to be taking family moments spend the extra cash and get a video camera.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-12-2009 at 11:04 PM..

Old 12-13-2009, 10:46 AM

409 posts, read 953,049 times
I have a Flip. I love it! It's quick, easy and fun to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography