Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 02:46 PM

12 posts, read 33,329 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'll bite cava...tell me how you really feel. Give me your opinion and stop writing cryptic messages. I will accept the good bad and ugly. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. If not let it go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 10:57 PM

229 posts, read 879,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfellas View Post
You can drive yourself crazy researching every schools website to find the right one.
I can buy that

Even in those pre-internet days it was still crazy. Back in the 70's my parents wanted to send me to Wakefield Country Day School in Huntley, Virginia. I remember the stuff Wakefield had sent to my parents in the mail showing kids swimming in this large pool, riding horses, a beautiful estate in the background, the sports program..in reality all of that left much to be desired. Example that "large pool" Wakefield showed in those pictures was big enough to hold..hmmmmm..maybe 5 kids tops. Not sure what pool they had used in their ad but it surely wasn't Wakefield's. Oh and that estate, that belonged to the family across the road who had no association with Wakefield at all !!

In the end I stayed in public school.

Not sure if its the case now or not but I can remember back in the 80's as far as public schools went, if a parent was unhappy say with city schools, for a price the kids could go to County schools even if they lived within the city limits or vice-versa ( live in the county..going to city schools ). I don't know about Harrisonburg and Rockingham County but up north Winchester and Frederick County had allowed this. Of course with all the growth over the years I have no idea if they still allow it or not.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:12 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,278,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfellas View Post
Ok, I'll bite cava...tell me how you really feel. Give me your opinion and stop writing cryptic messages. I will accept the good bad and ugly. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. If not let it go!
What do you mean "cryptic"? I think I've laid it out pretty clearly. Most JMU students find Harrisonburg a great place to go to school but not to settle down in after. Part of this is due to the local economy but also because of its very conservative culture and politics. As a result, the schools aren't full of kids of college grads as in other smaller college towns like Williamstown, or Northampton, MA. The educational attainment of parents is probably the strongest predictor of a school's test scores.

Perhaps those interested in moving there might want to talk to a few JMU alums first.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:44 AM

15 posts, read 38,881 times
Bridgewater is a great town to check out outside of Harrisonburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia