Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 06:48 AM

83 posts, read 733,818 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a restaurant for lunch in Abingdon? We are driving from Greenville, SC to Roanoke, VA in mid-October and would like to stop for lunch along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times
Alison's 1220 West Main Street, Abingdon, VA 24210, 276-628-8002, Known for their "World Famous Baked Potato Soup," this casual restaurant also offers delicious ribs, hand cut steaks, fresh fish, entree salads, and homemade desserts on their menu. They are open Monday through Saturday for lunch and dinner.

Withers Hardware Company 260 West Main Street, Abingdon, VA 24211, 276-628-1111, Originally a hardware store built in 1914, this restaurant has a unique dining atmosphere and offers a menu filled with fresh seafood, Western beef, salads, and sandwiches. A lounge is also on site and they are open daily for lunch and dinner.

Alison's has great food, but it is extremely casual . . . no ambience, but great food.

Last weekend we were in Abingdon, I love it there and we ate at the Hardware company for lunch . . . . I had pasta with shrimp, the other's had reuben sandwiches, steak sandwiches, french onion soup, salads and burgers, it was GREAT, adn the price was right . . . . it's on the main street, when we left there we went antique shopping, then took a tour of the Martha Washington Inn and Barter Theatre . . . then headed to Damascus for ice cream . . . . I'd love to relocate there!!!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:38 PM

That all sounds wonderful! I've never been to Abingdon before but would like to explore the area. Where do you live, lifesigns64?

Old 06-22-2007, 10:43 AM

Hi,

We live in North Carolina, in a small town in the Brushy Mountains about 40 minutes east of Boone and Blowing Rock.

We love to go exploring, but since we found Abingdon, VA/ Bristol, VA, we go there as much as we can.

The restaurants are grate, aintquing si great and in that area is some of the best fishing and hiking.

I would love to relocate to that area . . . . there is a big Art Festival (forget the name of it) in August in Abingdon that is unbelievable, crafts, antiques, music, food, entertainment.

Every Christmas they have a Christmas walk downtown with a tour of all of historic homes, where the homeowners let you go in there homes and view the decorations . . . it was great.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:26 AM

It does sound like a lovely place. Are you familiar with any hotels in the area? We are considering stopping there for the night instead of Roanoke. Our final destination is Williamsburg. We will have our 17 year old daughter with us and want someplace that's not too expensive, just clean.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:51 PM

We actually did stay over two different times in hotels that were both clean and inexpensive. You can find there telephone numbers in yellow page city.

One was Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites . . . we didn't have a reservation, and we actually asked if we could upgrade the room . . . we had a kingsize bed, a pullout couch, a jacuzzi, cable a very nice bathroom for $70 with our AAA discount, and that was on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night.

The next time we went, my husband wanted to stay at somewhere a little cheaper . . . I think it was killed Swiss Mountain Motel . . . it was nice, comfortable and clean . . . he liked it better even, and wants to go back, but i preferred the Holiday Inn . . . the Swiss Motel was about $50 or so with AAA.

I wish we could afford to stay at the Martha Washington, I love it there. There are plent of hotels to choose from, both times we slept over we had not reservations . . . it was spur of the moment.

Are you thinking of relocating there?

Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 AM

41 posts, read 118,361 times
High end restuarants, to pubs, to diners, to pizzeria, this town has delicious eateries in every price range.

Abingdon, once you go, you want to keep going back!!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:34 PM

We do want to retire in Virginia someday and have a home in Williamsburg which we are currently renting out. We have never been to Abingdon and had not considered relocating there. But I recently read a little about it in a magazine and have seen such positive posts on this website - now I'm curious. I can't wait to visit. It sounds charming. One of our main concerns with Williamsburg is the humidity in the summer. I hear it's not quite so bad in Abingdon.

I went ahead and booked a Saturday night at the Hampton Inn and made reservations to see Driving Miss Daisy at the Barter Theater. Since we are leaving town Sunday morning, I imagine most of the shops will not have opened yet when we hit the road. That's too bad, but at least we can poke around town a little and get a bit of a feel for the area. Thanks for all the information. Any other comments are appreciated!

Old 07-06-2007, 06:51 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Default Abingdon

Abingdon is a hidden gem in our area. Yes, the Martha Washington Inn is expensive but the Inn has a casual lunch menu. You should stop by for lunch there!

Old 09-30-2007, 08:17 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
We've been to the Hardware Company many times and it is always a good meal. We also like The Starving Artist Cafe, 134 Wall Street at the Depot Station, 628-8445. Last night we went to Alison's for dinner. It was a wonderful meal and a great time. The flavor of the atmosphere was pure local and the slice of Americana was fabulous! I did call ahead for reservations and I am glad that I did. We went past waiting customers to the table that they had waiting for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia