Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 7,313 times

Advertisements

hi
i live in north carolina and while driving back to mryland where i work i was charged with a ticket as i was driving at 83 on a 65mph.the officer gave me a ticket saying reckless driving.It only has a court date mentioned.i got a speeding ticket 21/2 yrs ago.cud anyone please tell me wud my license get suspended? do i have to pay hefty fines? and do i need a lawyer..
please can anyone be kind enough to reply soon
thanx in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 09:11 PM

743 posts, read 3,902,172 times
Not sure about the lawyer... basically, you either need to show up to court, or else they'll just give you the standard punishment, which could be fines, points, and all that stuff. Since you are not from the state, I'm not sure what exactly would happen...

Good luck, last Friday through Sunday the state troopers were out in force... most I have ever seen.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:08 AM

Default need advice

thank u EricD for ur reply.
Could anyone else tell me what wud happen to an out of state driver charged for reckless driving ( 65/83)..will my license get suspended? do i need a lawyer?
please anyone...

Old 06-28-2007, 05:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,477 times
Default Reckless Driving

Yes you will need a lawyer. Reckless is a serious offense. New lawws have been past. going into effect July.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:44 AM

267 posts, read 1,675,092 times
Virginia cannot take away the license of someone from another state, but they can report you to the state that holds your license. One of the reasons the whole new traffic law applies only to VA residents is that they only have the power to take away the license of someone who is resident of the state. Reckless can and will probably get you a large fine and as I said above, VA will report to the NC DMV and your insurance company will probably find out. The new laws will not affect anyone ticketed before 1 July.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:03 PM

It's still reckless driving and you can get it reduced with an attorney.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:29 AM

Do u think i shoud plead for Not guilty and explain the situation?would that have any effect in getting my charges reduced?
I have also read bout some books whichwud help beat the system.They discuss about different defense techniques v can use to crossexamine in the absence of a lawyer.i have read reviews where this person going on 92 in 65 speed limit zone used the defense techniques in the book and got his case dismissed.Am not sure how true is this.But do u think its a gud idea to defend myself than going through an attorney ?cos they are too expensive.I am so confused..

Old 07-03-2007, 08:34 PM

not sure about any defense techniques do not plead guilty. if you are not going to use an attorney try to get some professional advice
the old saying is a person thats defends their self has a fool for a client
GOOD LUCK

Old 07-15-2007, 08:40 AM

267 posts, read 1,675,092 times
Also, from what I understand, you'll have to come back after the initial hearing if you plead not guilty. After you plead, they will set a new date and have you come back for the actual trial. My friend's daughter recently got a ticket for an accident and when she went to court, the judge said if you please guilty now, then you do x, y and z. If you're pleading not guilty, he said, come back on x date with an attorney. So, it also depends on how much time you may have to give up to fight something you probably wont' get completely dismissed anyway. Just because someone (from a book) supposedly got his ticket dismissed by defending himself doesn't mean anything. While, it'll probably sell a few books, it's never a good idea to defend yourself. You do realize lawyers usually hire their own lawyers to defend them and almost never defend themselves. I've also got a strange idea, how about telling the truth and accepting responsibilty? BTW, what can explain away driving that much over the speed limit? Was someone holding a gun to your head? You mentioned the "situation". What was the situation?

Old 07-16-2007, 01:51 PM

hi
thanx for all ur advice...My ordeal has finally ended...well my court date was on the 12th .i was sceptical about hiring a lawyer and didnt so.i plead "no contest" wch gave me an oppurtunity to explain the reason.the judge told me to attend a drivers improvemnt clinic and tht my charge wud be dismissed.well i attended the clinic and produced the certificate in court and my charge was dismissed..i cudnt believe it..all i had to pay was $70 towards court fee and $60 for the clinic...no points and no hefty insurance rates..phew...not only my case but even drivers with 86/65 were askd to attend the clinic and that their charges wud be dismissed...
well this certainly goes against the saying "the person that defends their self has a fool for a client"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia