Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2007, 01:33 AM

26 posts, read 157,293 times

Advertisements

Okay - I have read ALL the threads/notes on the subject matter(s) of relocating to VA - but my concerns are not addressed so much so I will be as detailed as possible and will 'try' not to waste anyone's time ... sorry if I do.

First off I LOVE Northern, VA but my job relocation is not there. I have been in the USA for 12 years (originally Canadian)- lived in New York City and Upstate NY as well as Ohio, Los Angeles, CA, now living in Jersey City, NJ. I went to grad school in Philly. I am a Professor and relocate more than I should and am now getting REALLY tired of it - so I am hoping this is my last move - but I am renting still since when I am sure in two years, (and have some money saved) I will buy - so for now I need renters advice.

Here it goes, I am a single young professional (well, I am in my 30's so I am not even sure if that is still young or not). I do not have kids so school districts are not so much an issue, although I do think it can make a difference in the overall area you live in. I like malls - clean new one's with a Bloomingdales, Nordstroms, SAKS and Neimans (oh my God, that sound so pretentious - sorry I am not and did not mean to sound so) BUT I do not need to live right across from one - so long as one is about 35 - 40 mins away, or preferably less.

I am also a visible minority, I have an olive brown skin coloring I am Hindu, was born and raised in Canada - I love diversity and like being around it - but I do not have to be so long as those around me really could care less and are open minded - although most people mistake me for Italian or Spanish. Why am I telling you this?

Well, I will be honest - I have heard mixed things about Richmond and not much of anything about Charlottesville with regard to racial integration - so should I be listening to these people or do they just not know? I have been in Northern VA and find the people VERY nice and VERY polite (and as a Canadian, I value polite) but am unaware of VA further south (my time was spent in the North mostly)

WOW this is getting too long - I read people asking for more details .... by the way, cake or pie? Cake. Always Cake. (reference to a thread posted by someone else)

I need to know the truth about the following:

1. Renting - the rentals in Charlottesville are not as many as Richmond - and Charlottesville received bad reviews on the site I searched.

Virginia apartments and apartment reviews - ApartmentRatings.com

2. Cost of living for things like rent, groceries, car insurance etc...

3. Both places have a great deal of students - I love my students but I do not want to love with them - are there places for young professionals - which one has more?

4. Crime rate - honest answer please - car theft etc....

5. Places to live - in richmond these down town renovations look wonderful but many have open lots with a gate - is that safe for your car?

6. I will be driving an hour to work - farmville - but there are no rentals there and I do not mind a long commute I am used to it - how is traffic versus Charlottesville and Richmond?

7. Which would you pick and why?

8. What I like to do - ice-skate - swim indoor lap pools and go to the spa - which place is better for this since I will do this daily. I also love the beach - how far is Va Beach? Map quest says two hours - which months of the year can it be utilized? And how does it compare to NC or FL beaches?

9. I teach design - which is an easier drive and or train ride to DC - I like the galleries/smithsonian.

10. Even though I like 'nice clean malls' - I go to one maybe once a month - but I love historical arch. which is more charming? Also, to add in, I like clean grocery stores - with organic food options etc ... sorry to harp on the 'clean' I live in Jersey City now, and I like it the people are pretty nice - but 'clean' it is not. My place is - but the gorcery stores ... ahh, no - so I wonder how old what I am picking up from the shelf (etc) is ...

11. Which one has more diversity overall - for example, an Asian population? I did some research on-line but I have no idea how accurate it is - it seems that there are several Indian grocery stores and a temple in Glen Alen but when I checked this site:

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

It seems the demographics show more Asians live in Charlottesville - is that due to a student population at UVA? Or do those who run the businesses in Richmond commute from elsewhere? What is the East Indian Hindu population like in Richmond vs. Charlottesville?

12. Please, if you have the time tell me 'why' each is better/different etc....

Okay - I will stop now .... not a crazy person - I promise.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 07:13 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Okay, well as I said in a previous post, I'm not an expert on Charlottesville or Richmond but have spent a good deal of time in both (although have never lived there), so I'll supply what little information I can offer:

1. The rentals are fewer just due to population size. Charlottesville has only around 40,000 people in the city and a total of under 200,000 in the metro area compared to nearly 200,000 in Richmond proper, with slightly over one million in the metro area.

2. Not 100% certain on the other things, but generally Charlottesville has higher rents.

3. Richmond has more places for young professionals. Charlottesville is pretty UVA-centric and also is a smaller city.

4. Richmond has a much higher crime rate. Charlottesville has pockets of shadiness but nothing approaching Richmond levels. With that said, crime is a very localized issue with it depending more on the individual neighborhood and/or apartment complex you'd be living in.

5. Not sure.

6. Worse in Richmond. Not horrific a la Northern Virginia, but definitely worse than Charlottesville. Both cities are about equidistant from Farmville.

7. Richmond because I'm a city boy at heart and I feel it has more to offer for those of us no longer in school. If I were in school, I'd prefer Charlottesville to Richmond.

8. You can do either activity in either city. Virginia Beach can be used in the summer months. I suppose you can go TO the beach at any point in time, but you wouldn't want to swim in that cold water until summertime. The beach itself is decent. I've never been to the NC or FL beaches so I can't compare. The city itself however is geared towards families, very sprawly and laid-back even though it's the state's largest city. It's a bit tourist-heavy but not massively geared towards them like Myrtle Beach or elsewhere.

9. Charlottesville is actually shorter distance but the roads used are more local roads so the commute out of Richmond is theoretically shorter, however I-95 can get incredibly clogged at any given time. Richmond also has Amtrak access.

10. Charlottesville leans more 1700s historic with Monticello and that sort of brick "old town-y" look to it whereas Richmond is more 1800s Southern-influenced if that makes much sense. Richmond seems to have more history to it and more interesting architecture in my book but I suppose that's subjective. So far as cleanliness, it's hard to term an entire city as "clean" or "dirty" as it varies heavily across an area and is largely a local issue. Neither are sparkling clean or rolling in dirt though.

11. The city itself, Charlottesville is more diverse largely due to the presence of UVA. The metro area, Richmond wins. There is a sizable and growing Asian community in the Henrico County suburbs north of Richmond, Indians in particular.

Overall, I think Richmond would suit you better than Charlottesville. It has a few strikes against it so far as what you're looking for (much more conservative than C-ville, higher crime rate, etc.) but I think it surpasses C-ville in enough of your other criterion to choose it.

Last edited by dullnboring; 07-02-2007 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: apparently i used a word that has a double meaning and was censored, so i changed it

Old 07-02-2007, 07:39 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
I have answered some of your questions on other threads but will try again to address as much as possible. If I don't know the answer to something I tend not to answer it. Let me preface anything I say here is not as a professional looking for clients. I used to work in Richmond, and lived there for 20 years, but I am now living in Va. Beach and work there. I will help you anyway I can.

Here it goes, I am a single young professional (well, I am in my 30's so I am not even sure if that is still young or not). I do not have kids so school districts are not so much an issue, although I do think it can make a difference in the overall area you live in. I like malls - clean new one's with a Bloomingdales, Nordstroms, SAKS and Neimans (oh my God, that sound so pretentious - sorry I am not and did not mean to sound so) BUT I do not need to live right across from one - so long as one is about 35 - 40 mins away, or preferably less.

Richmond has a couple of upscale malls. One is in the West end called Short Pump. you will find neimans there. It is an outside walking mall. the other is in the city limits, on the Southside, but towards the West End (just across the river). It has Saks. Both are fairly easily accessible.

I am also a visible minority, I have an olive brown skin coloring I am Hindu, was born and raised in Canada - I love diversity and like being around it - but I do not have to be so long as those around me really could care less and are open minded - although most people mistake me for Italian or Spanish. Why am I telling you this?

Well, I will be honest - I have heard mixed things about Richmond and not much of anything about Charlottesville with regard to racial integration - so should I be listening to these people or do they just not know? I have been in Northern VA and find the people VERY nice and VERY polite (and as a Canadian, I value polite) but am unaware of VA further south (my time was spent in the North mostly)

I won't address this except to say Richmond people are from all over. Some have lived there forever and let you know. Alot are now transplants. A lot of fortune 500 companies call this city home and have brought many people from all over the coutry and all over the world. It is what you make of it.

1. Renting - the rentals in Charlottesville are not as many as Richmond - and Charlottesville received bad reviews on the site I searched.

I can't speak for C-ville, but Richmond has plenty of rentals of all different types. You can get your suburban nice apartment complex, older brownstone types in the fan, lofts in Manchester and Shockoe Slip and the Bottom, and a mixture in the old tobacco wharehouses of Tobacco Row. And all different price points.

2. Cost of living for things like rent, groceries, car insurance etc...

check out the city data information. But I think you will find it is better than DC!!

3. Both places have a great deal of students - I love my students but I do not want to love with them - are there places for young professionals - which one has more?

In Richmond young professionals can be found all over. If you are in the city, the fan, shockoe slip, the museum district, the near westend, and around the Malls.

It happens. Again, check out city-data.com

5. Places to live - in richmond these down town renovations look wonderful but many have open lots with a gate - is that safe for your car?

I never had a problem. Once in the fan a freak went on a windshield bashing spree... but we survived.

6. I will be driving an hour to work - farmville - but there are no rentals there and I do not mind a long commute I am used to it - how is traffic versus Charlottesville and Richmond?

I think your commute will be easier to Richmond, but then I haven't commuted from Farmville to C-ville so really can't tell you.

I love Richmond. I would always pick it.

8. What I like to do - ice-skate - swim indoor lap pools and go to the spa - which place is better for this since I will do this daily. I also love the beach - how far is Va Beach? Map quest says two hours - which months of the year can it be utilized? And how does it compare to NC or FL beaches?

there are two ice skating rinks, check out Richmond Ice Zone (google them). One is located on Midlothian Turnpike, and one by the Short Pump mall. Swimming, you can check out the YMCA's, they are everywhere and have some of the best rates. Va. Beach is 2 hours away. you can swim May to Oct. since you are from Canada!! I prefer July and August!! (I like my water to be like bathwater). The strip at Va. Beach is very touristy. There is a boardwalk, highrise hotels and more.

9. I teach design - which is an easier drive and or train ride to DC - I like the galleries/smithsonian.

You can take the train from Ashville.

10. Even though I like 'nice clean malls' - I go to one maybe once a month - but I love historical arch. which is more charming? Also, to add in, I like clean grocery stores - with organic food options etc ... sorry to harp on the 'clean' I live in Jersey City now, and I like it the people are pretty nice - but 'clean' it is not. My place is - but the gorcery stores ... ahh, no - so I wonder how old what I am picking up from the shelf (etc) is ...

there are a couple of organic food stores. One is in Cary Town. Ellwood Thompson. You might be able to google them as well.

11. Which one has more diversity overall - for example, an Asian population? I did some research on-line but I have no idea how accurate it is - it seems that there are several Indian grocery stores and a temple in Glen Alen but when I checked this site:

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

It seems the demographics show more Asians live in Charlottesville - is that due to a student population at UVA? Or do those who run the businesses in Richmond commute from elsewhere? What is the East Indian Hindu population like in Richmond vs. Charlottesville?

This is very specific information that I doubt your average poster would have any idea. If that is important to you, why not contact a hindu church? temple? in both cities and see if they have this information for you?

12. Please, if you have the time tell me 'why' each is better/different etc....

Okay - I will stop now .... not a crazy person - I promise.

[/quote]

Hope some of this helps. You are definately a very detailed person. : )

shelly

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:54 AM..

Old 07-02-2007, 07:47 PM

26 posts, read 157,293 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you both so much ... I have more info but now more confused .... I will have to really think tonight .... too much detail, I know, but I saw posts that said people wanted more details ... well, I am not sure how this site works - do certain people volunteer? I don't get it completely - I did not mean to take up any one persons time - I thought just anyone would respond. Well, none-the-less I thank you all

Old 07-03-2007, 06:08 PM

29 posts, read 219,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancysi View Post

It seems the demographics show more Asians live in Charlottesville - is that due to a student population at UVA?
I lived in Charlottesville a few years ago, so I'll try to help you out. First, I think you hit the nail on the head with your observation about the demographics-- the UVA "population" (both students and professors) skews the overall city demographics.

I lived in an apartment run by MSC that was near the University, but they have other apartments that are designed for professionals too. I thought they were a good management company. Also, while those apartment ratings websites are useful to an extent, it's best to take them with a grain of salt.

Charlottesville is overall a safe city. Like another poster alluded to, there are a few "not so desirable" areas, but even the "worst" neighborhood in Charlottesville probably won't seem bad compared with places where you have lived before! The only thing that happened to my car was some minor vandalism-- my tire was slashed once. Just follow normal city safety precautions like locking your doors, and you'll be fine.

There is one mall in town, and plenty of stripmalls, but nothing "upscale" (at least, not when I lived there in 2001). In terms of organic grocery stores, there's a Whole Foods.

I drove up to DC from Charlottesville many times. I think Richmond is closer to DC, and you can take 95 straight up, but the drive from Charlottesville isn't bad. And since Charlottesville is a college town, there are a lot of cultural benefits that come along with that. Plus, a new arena was built recently, bringing many concerts and sporting events.

Oh, one more thing: There's a "young professionals" organization in Charlottesville that you could join to help get acquainted with people.

Charlottesville is a beautiful town. Good luck with your decision!

Old 07-07-2007, 01:48 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
As far as malls, Richmond has much more variety in the stores you're thinking of (Nordstrom, Sak's, etc). Grocery Stores... Ukrop's stores are very clean, and Kroger's around town are pretty nice overall as well. There are several local organic options, and Whole Foods is opening near Short Pump soon. For something better than bland suburbia, check out a place like Carytown

Since you're looking at heading up to DC for museums, it's worth mentioning that Richmond has several very good museums of its own including the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.

Richmond also has a young professionals group called HYPE:
HYPE Richmond

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia