Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 07:04 AM

9 posts, read 36,101 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My husband and I are seriously thinking about putting an offer on a house in Reston, VA. We're from out-of-state and hope you can give us some objective opinions. The home is gorgeous but we're a bit worried about the surrounding areas.

The house, $700K, is located directly off Fox Mill Rd., in the Courts of Fox Mill development, a very small neighborhood, maybe about 50 homes. It is right across the street the Fox Mill Estates and the Stratton Woods development literally backs up to our back yard. There is a noticable difference in the neighborhoods and we would like to know your thoughts on safety, crime, and if you think our $700K (most we can spend) would be better spent in a different area of Reston (if so, where would you recommend?).

I'm a stay at home mom and will be spending quite a bit of time with my one-year-old son in these neighborhoods so it is very important that they be safe, walkable etc. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 10:05 AM

414 posts, read 2,281,677 times
Keep in mind that Reston, and Herndon are both old towns, that used to be predominately blue collar occupied, and both towns have areas that are nicer than others. You will probably want to live in the newer developments in either town. But as a whole both towns are very nice, safe places to live, with excellent schools.

The area in Herndon that you're considering is very nice. Keep in mind that the older townhouse abutting to the subdivision you're considering where built in the mid/late '90's, and were selling for in the low to mid $100k range, so there aren't as pretty as the home you're considering. Additionally, the abbutting subdivisions, are mostly white collar families. With that said, entire section of Herndon you're considering is quite new, and very family oriented. I'd personally choose this particular area of Herndon over Reston, because it's less busy, and you still have very easy access to shopping/entertainment in Reston, Fairfax, Fairlakes, etc...

Old 07-02-2007, 10:50 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,852 times
I know it's a pain to move twice, but do you really need to buy a house now? Would you consider moving into the area first and then buying after you're more familiar with Herndon / Reston? Reading the real estate tea leaves is impossible, but housing prices around here -- particularly single family homes -- are very stable. I doubt they'll go up again for a while. Everyone's forgotten the days when NOVA real estate prices languished for years. Just something to consider. Also, check Saturday's Washington Post. There was a great article on foreclosures in Herndon, Manassass and Sterling, among others.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:54 AM

35 posts, read 110,516 times
I concur with Austin. If at all possible, rent for a year - or 6 months, if you can get a part-year lease- so you can get a feel for the area before you commit to the largest investment the average family makes - a home.

I've lived in "old" Reston for 18 years and obviously pleased. Herndon is a charming town, and a consideration, but I was concerned about the the Mayor/Council turn over and new rights and restrictions each brings to the office.

Herndon has been going through some turmoil, but (IMHO) moving along the right path now. Herndon also has a high number of foreclosures, which can be good or bad. It is a buyers market, and with lenders willing to take short mortgages, you may be able to buy a lovely home for less than market.

Meanwhile, in Reston, home prices in the established neighborhoods are holding their own. The number of foreclosures are significantly lower. That Reston is a Planned Community may be part of the reason foreclosures are not as common as surrounding communities.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:03 PM

37 posts, read 152,379 times
Also - before you buy anything or rent even check out:
Sex Offender and Crimes Against Minors Registry Home Page (http://sex-offender.vsp.virginia.gov/sor/index.htm - broken link)

with or without children, you don't want to move to an area w/o first checking the sex offender site. You should also check the local police blotters for other crimes in the area.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:44 PM

267 posts, read 1,675,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meMesa View Post
Also - before you buy anything or rent even check out:
Sex Offender and Crimes Against Minors Registry Home Page (http://sex-offender.vsp.virginia.gov/sor/index.htm - broken link)

with or without children, you don't want to move to an area w/o first checking the sex offender site. You should also check the local police blotters for other crimes in the area.

The biggest problem with those offenders sites is that an 18-19 year old can be listed on it if he slept with his 14-15 year old girlfriend so don't use them as a be all-end all for where to live. Reston is not what it was 15 years ago, but it is better than Herndon. Personally, I think a 700K home in Reston is probably in a family friendly area and just as with anything else, know where your kids are and who they are with. Do not depend on sites like the above to determine exactly where you live. Herndon has a gang problem and a huge immigrant population and day laborer issues. If you really want to avoid Herndon/Reston, I'd say look at Ashburn. Great family areas and crime is very, very low. Much lower than Herdon and Reston. We've been here 12 years and never had a problem of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia