Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:42 AM

26 posts, read 157,342 times

Advertisements

I am curious...I have asked quetions regarding Virginia - Charlottesville vs. Richmond - but seem to get little response - where as others seem to get more - is this a silent way of telling me that racial diversity is not welcomed further south? Sorry to be blunt - but is there a racial problem in these areas??? I am an Ivy League educated Professor - originally from Canada - I am Canadian but I am also a visible minority - I am Hindu and proud to be so. I am very western in who I am but I do value my culture and the cultures of many - should I not move? Will I get the cold shoulder there?

It seems that everyone else is getting some sort of response - I have had one and I thank that person tremendously - but somone posted that if you are going to ask about moving to VA be specific and I was - yet they have failed to even respond - seems it is easier to poke fun of others, I guess.

Is VA in these areas not friendly??? Please advise - I am thinking that I should not move. I have lived in the USA for over 12 years now - grew up in Canada .... maybe I should stay in the NYC area .... I actually think they are friendly here - a little harsh at times but overall nice and definately open minded - I thought they would be in VA as well - I loved Northern Va - is the Southern part of the state different???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 AM

743 posts, read 3,900,421 times
You just started posting yesterday... and personally, I saw that you had made 2 threads so quickly, plus asked in the sticky thread, I didn't want to bother replying.

Both areas are very different, and are also very large (especially Richmond) It’s impossible to give a blanket answer as to which is better. As for your race/religion or whatever being an issue... it shouldn't be, especially on these forums. Yes, others have received answers, but did they receive all of those posts in 1 day? I doubt it. It's near the 4th of July, and a lot of people are on vacation this week... be reasonable with us please, and don't be so quick to pull the racism card, especially online.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:34 AM

Default New to this site ...

sorry for posting threads so 'quickly' I am not sure why that would turn anyone away (?) and yes, people did and do receive responses very quickly - I am intelligent enough to see this - that is why I was wondering if I wrote something 'wrong'. Sorry I was not worth your time (as you did 'want to bother') I guess I should be grateful you even did (?)

I am not pulling a 'racism card' - sorry you feel that way. Right now I am on the computer a lot looking into things/apts/ movers etc which is why I see the 'updates' on this site - I certainly do not expect you to use up your holiday weekend on me (PLEASE!) Others of differnt origins asked questions and recieved a reply right away - you might want to check instead of not validating my perceptions - which were more of a question anyhow. Yo know, I am a human being with rights and can ask questions if I want - I have said nothing offensive - yet you have.

Last edited by nancysi; 07-02-2007 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake - I am sure there still are ....

Old 07-02-2007, 12:06 PM

743 posts, read 3,900,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancysi View Post
Yo know, I am a human being with rights and can ask questions if I want - I have said nothing offensive - yet you have.
What have I said that was offencive? Harsh maybe, but I wouldn't say offencive.

And anyways, within 30 hours you post your question 4 times in 4 different threads (3 of which you make yourself) and then complain when people have not answered your question fast enough? Relax, you aren't moving tomorrow, are you? I know college won't start until late august. What I ment by 'not bothering' is that I saw your 2 threads, plus a third post in another thread (just from the main page) and I didn't have time last night to read all three before replying.

BUT, my recomendation is the West-end of Richmond. Lots of malls, closer to DC/VA Beach for your weekend trips, less crime than in the inner city... And there should be a lot of places to rent. I know I didn't go all the way down your list, but maybe this helped some. I'm sorry if I came accross as an ass, your first post in this thread just pushed one of my buttons.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:29 PM

414 posts, read 2,280,566 times
I don't know exactly why you haven't recieved many replies to your question. But I will say that many folks aren't very comfortable about dialouging about racism. etc.

SoVa, and NoVa are different are very different in terms of people's mentality, racial/cultural diversity/integration, income, etc. You probably won't be subjected to overt, and constant racism, or ingorant behaviors because of your ethnicity; but the you will most likely experience more in SoVa than you ever would in NoVa.

You should consider visiting for a few days, so you get a first hand experience of what people's mentalities are like in SoVa. SoVa is primarily, whites, and blacks...

Old 07-02-2007, 02:03 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,134 times
I would have answered but quite honestly you asked too many questions and I would need a good half an hour to answer it completely which one does not get when one has a three-year-old running around the house and if I actually do get a spare 30-minutes straight I prefer to bounce around and answer and pose lots of questions and not spend my time on one thing...

Nothing to do with the race thing. Nothing to do with you personally. Just know there are some on here that have time and are willing to answer specific point-by-point questions like yours. It seemed like you either wanted the WHOLE answer to everything or nothing. Not sure why I got that impression but I did.

So anyway. That's my reasoning... I'll look at it again and answer what I feel like answering this time....

Old 07-02-2007, 02:20 PM

Default I am grateful for your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post

And anyways, within 30 hours you post your question 4 times in 4 different threads (3 of which you make yourself) and then complain when people have not answered your question fast enough? Relax, you aren't moving tomorrow, are you?

BUT, my recomendation is the West-end of Richmond. Lots of malls, closer to DC/VA Beach for your weekend trips, less crime than in the inner city... And there should be a lot of places to rent.

I am moving in less than a week (and even it were in three weeks - don't you think someone would have to decide on a place to live early enough?) - due to personal family emergencies nothing could be done till now - classes begin early Aug. for me - but hey, if you know better ....

I can post as many threads(?) as I like - I am new to this site and trying to figure out how it works. You seem to have a strong sense of 'entitlement' and good for you, I suppose.

Thank you for the west end reference - I will look into it.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
I don't know exactly why you haven't recieved many replies to your question. But I will say that many folks aren't very comfortable about dialouging about racism. etc.

SoVa, and NoVa are different are very different in terms of people's mentality, racial/cultural diversity/integration, income, etc. You probably won't be subjected to overt, and constant racism, or ingorant behaviors because of your ethnicity; but the you will most likely experience more in SoVa than you ever would in NoVa.

You should consider visiting for a few days, so you get a first hand experience of what people's mentalities are like in SoVa. SoVa is primarily, whites, and blacks...
Thank you so much for your feed back - it goes in sync with what I have heard from a few others not from the area - I do not have time to visit (but I know it would have been the best thing) the people who live there would likely know best. I am aware that the west end is safe based on police reports etc on-line (I have had to do a great deal of on-line research due to circumstances) but am having a harder time getting answers on the safety of the city - I did find a report on-line but it only helps if you know which 'county' each rental is in - so would you know about these renovated buildings (they look really nice) in Shockhoe area? Are these open lots safe for your car? I have never seen gated lots before (in association with rentals/living spaces) so I have no idea (I am used to garages) - if you are not familiar with this then that is fine - I just thought I would ask. I want to thank you though for your response - I am not sure why people do not want to discuss racial issues - a person is just trying to find the more comfortable place so any info would help - the truth is fine it doesn't mean people agree so much with how things are but I would like to know the truth of how things are - I am (clearly) completely clueless in this area - I have always lived more or less in very large cities so I understand and know how they work - and I am also aware that they have problems as well.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:32 PM

Default oh I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
What have I said that was offencive? Harsh maybe, but I wouldn't say offencive.

And anyways, within 30 hours you post your question 4 times in 4 different threads (3 of which you make yourself) .....

Oh I see, the fact that I have 'thanked people' shows up ... sorry, will no longer thank people ....

Old 07-02-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
I would have answered but quite honestly you asked too many questions and I would need a good half an hour to answer it completely which one does not get when one has a three-year-old running around the house and if I actually do get a spare 30-minutes straight I prefer to bounce around and answer and pose lots of questions and not spend my time on one thing...

Nothing to do with the race thing. Nothing to do with you personally. Just know there are some on here that have time and are willing to answer specific point-by-point questions like yours. It seemed like you either wanted the WHOLE answer to everything or nothing. Not sure why I got that impression but I did.

So anyway. That's my reasoning... I'll look at it again and answer what I feel like answering this time....
Sorry about the length - I read that people were unhappy with vague questions and wanted more specifics ... you don't need to answer a three year old is more important
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia