Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 10:15 AM

168 posts, read 841,004 times

Advertisements

Just looking for any insight or opionions....

We're a childless couple, looking to relocate to the peaceful, quite, no-nightlife, don't-care-how-far-shopping-is countryside of Va. We work remotely.

We ironically are in love with 2 very different places:

1) Beautiful custom home on 7 acres, on a Ridge in Bland County. It is surrounded by Jefferson forest, and the ridge is between 2 huge mountains. Extremely picturesque. Total seclusion. No grass. Completely in the forest. Closest town is Wytheville,....found it charming, (although a bit commercial)....this area really suites us due to the hiking, and overall 'in the woods' feel.

2) Small 'farm-stead' outside of Appomattox. 23 acres, 1/4 frontage mile on Appomattox river (large creek ;_) 6 acres pasture, rest woods. Home is nice, but would need alot of 'remodeling' to suit our tastes,....I love carpentry so no problem there. Very remote area,....only a few houses in the surrounding miles. Again, seclusion. Additional 2200sqft studio with huge glass office on property as well....

What is interesting is that each of these homes has appeal, the epicness of the mountain home vs the diversity of the 'country home'. Such contrast between the 2 areas, the homes,.....everything really.

I am not asking for someone to 'make my decision',....but am curious of peoples thoughts about these areas in general.....or any thoughts at all about the choice.

Pics, if interested at Index of /house (http://www.gfxmoo.com/house - broken link)

Thanks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 04:04 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,243 times
Wow! THat will be a hard decision as both are absolutely beautiful pieces of property. I like both areas (I have family up there and also own land in Scott County myself), but think the house and the creek that go with the homestead property would make me choose that one. The other house seems more like a vacation home than a primary residence...I need more space to cook.
Whichever property you choose, though, you can't go wrong with the peacefulness and the beauty you will wake up to each day.
Best of luck to you!

Old 07-07-2007, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,562 times
Default Wytheville

Both Appomattox and Wytheville are similar in size and nature with the exception of one thing. Wytheville (where I live) is experiencing a huge sudden growth due to the Pepsi Co building two large plants here. We have also had a bunch of other industry move into the area recently. The job market is excellent right now but the housing market is tight, as many new people are moving into the area. I own some rental property and have people fighting over getting it. Wytheville is becoming very commercialized having two major interstates joining and two more in the planning stages. Growth in the next ten years will be well above average.

I grew up in Wytheville (pronounced Weth) and have seen it change from a small rural town to what it is today. With the exception of a 10 year absence when I lived in VA beach, this town has been my home and I am not too happy about the local governments choice to entice large industry and tourism. On an average summer day, there are ten travelers for every resident in the town. A large Wellness center was just opened with indoor pool and full exercise equipment. The town has many eating establishments and shopping.

The nice thing about the area is it's rural outskirts. A ten minute drive from the center of the town will take you to farmland in the rolling hills that dominate the area.

If I can answer any specific questions about the town, just ask. Best to contact me by email as I do not regularly visit this forum.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,173 times
Default Are you looking to still move to Appomattox, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Jim View Post
Just looking for any insight or opionions....

We're a childless couple, looking to relocate to the peaceful, quite, no-nightlife, don't-care-how-far-shopping-is countryside of Va. We work remotely.

We ironically are in love with 2 very different places:

1) Beautiful custom home on 7 acres, on a Ridge in Bland County. It is surrounded by Jefferson forest, and the ridge is between 2 huge mountains. Extremely picturesque. Total seclusion. No grass. Completely in the forest. Closest town is Wytheville,....found it charming, (although a bit commercial)....this area really suites us due to the hiking, and overall 'in the woods' feel.

2) Small 'farm-stead' outside of Appomattox. 23 acres, 1/4 frontage mile on Appomattox river (large creek ;_) 6 acres pasture, rest woods. Home is nice, but would need alot of 'remodeling' to suit our tastes,....I love carpentry so no problem there. Very remote area,....only a few houses in the surrounding miles. Again, seclusion. Additional 2200sqft studio with huge glass office on property as well....

What is interesting is that each of these homes has appeal, the epicness of the mountain home vs the diversity of the 'country home'. Such contrast between the 2 areas, the homes,.....everything really.

I am not asking for someone to 'make my decision',....but am curious of peoples thoughts about these areas in general.....or any thoughts at all about the choice.

Pics, if interested at Index of /house (http://www.gfxmoo.com/house - broken link)

Thanks.....
Hi,

I was wondering if you ever made the move to Appomattox, VA? I live there now, but am relocating. It's beautiful there. I am selling my home and was wondering if you had already bought one yet? Thanks and God Bless You!!

Old 10-31-2008, 03:37 PM

506 posts, read 1,402,506 times
Appomattox is a very, very conservative area, Jesus and Nascar teritory. If that is your cup of tea I would pick Appomattox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: