Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 162,849 times

Advertisements

Hello:
My wife and I would like recommendations on the best places to live within 30 minutes of Virginia Beach. We want to be close to the beach and nightlife, but don't want to live in a high tourist area. It would be ideal to live in a classy town with the beach nearby. We are looking for an affordable apartment under $800. We don't have kids so schools are not an issue. We will be searching for jobs, my field is marketing and my wife is in dental assisting. We don't mind commuting 30-45 minutes to work. Thank you for your recommendations!

Last edited by Albuquerque to Virginia; 07-03-2007 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 10:20 PM

76 posts, read 408,264 times
For me, the beach and nightlife speak of two different areas. Personally, Norfolk a city near by has a better nightlife atmosphere. It has been been highly rated on Forbes.com.

As far as towns go. I do not think you will find a "town" within 30 mins of Virginia Beach.

The surrounding cities are Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake. As far as housing costs > Portsmouth (cheapest but they are reviving the city), Norfolk, Chesapeake and then Virginia Beach. Virginia Beach has what I consider the highest land values.

Now, that I think about it. Suffolk would be a nice town like area. Although you are away from everything you are looking for.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:57 AM

59 posts, read 469,417 times
Default Affordable and Nice

Hello,
If it's just you and your wife I recommend two areas that you may like, Ocean View Beach out in Norfolk, is a neighborhood that has taken on an amazing transformation in the last few years, it used to be a neglected beach fromnt community and then investors came in and did a makeover. Its the hottest area for those who want clubs, lounges, sportbars, fishing, and they have private beaches everywhere. The neighboring city is Willoughby, which is a cozy beach town connecting to Oceanview, they have beach style homes but check them out. Some of these apartments look okay outside, but when you go inside they may "WOW" you and your wife. The rents range from $500 to $1500. These areas are 25-30 minutes from Virginia Beach Oceanfront. This community rarely goes to Virginia Beach unless there is an event going on down there. They have it all in Oceanview/Willoughby.

The second area is Buckroe bach in Hampton, this ride is about 35-40 minutes away. Located in Hampton this area is also fairly affordable with waterfront properties (rentals & houses). People move here to escape the traffic of Virginia Beach. This area is connected to Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth and Suffolk, by the Monitor Merrimac Tunnel and another one, I forgot the name. Both of these locations, I really feel will make you and your wife happy, they both have alot for you to do and you can still pay your rent and afford to eat dinner at night. DO YOUR HOME WORK. You may also want to check Craigslist.org and Pilotonline.com for ads with pictures. Good Luck, and as always Do your homework!

PS: I notice that you both will be looking for Jobs. Tell you wife to Contact Sentara Healthcare, I used to work there its awesome for the medical field and also Verizon is hiring !! Go to Verizon.com and Sentara.com.

Best Wishes to you both. Good Karma, pass it on.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:46 AM

267 posts, read 1,674,353 times
Virginia Beach itself is like two different cities. It covers a large area. I lived there for 3 years in the 80's and have been back many times and avoid the "beach" resort area. Once you get a mile or two away from the beach, it's just like any other town and the proximity to Norfolk, Williamsburg, etc gives you plenty of other things to do. The thing to remember is, first and foremost, it's a military town and that's what you see more than tourists. The tourist part is mainly summertime, but there are a lot of visitors year round and that is also a large part of th economy. We lived several miles from the beach and didn't notice tourists in any way. We've talked about retiring there in a condo on the bay with a beach because even in summer it's much quieter there that the ocean front area.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:15 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
A lot of locals go to Chicks Beach, Shore Drive area on the Chesapeake Bay. I would suggest taking a look at that area. some of the neighborhoods are Ocean Park, Lynhaven Beach, and Chicks Beach. You won't get too many tourists, still have a good nightlife, and be fairly close to everything.

Shelly

Old 09-08-2007, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 162,849 times
Thank you all so much for the valuable information, I greatly appreciate it!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 89,396 times
Default Looking for Great Schools in Loundon County

Following the best places to live thread...

We are looking to relocate from California in the next 1-2 years. We have family near the Waterford and Haymarket areas and would like to be close to them. Top public schools (elementary, middle and high) are our top priority.

We have a project manager and an engineering manager in the family so the job situation is flexible. Since we are moving from a very high cost of living area, home prices shouldn't be a consideration.

Any suggestions for that area would be a great help in our research. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:12 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
1-2 years is some time away. Things change yearly. My suggestion would be to wait til you are sure of a time frame.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 71,707 times
My company is currently reviewing the Norfolk area. I have seen some good information as to the good areas to live and play. Overall is this a safe area that you would feel at ease if you had to travel for several day and leave you family alone?

Old 09-10-2011, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 65,472 times
Hi I live in CA but was born in Va my aunt lives in Norfolk and my husband and I want to move to VA, we don't have tons of $ or jobs there, we have 2 kids 11 and 12 and family is very important to us, my daughter is autistic and loves the beach and we love the countryish living,we are looking for pricing range like Roanoke but its so far from Norfolk, is there any where closer to norfolk thats not so pricey on rent? we would need a house @ $750 till we get jobs but we want a nice town to raise our kids and close enough to visit my aunt in norfolk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia