Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,154 times

Advertisements

There is a new form of discrimination on Virginia highways. Let's take the scenario of two drivers speeding down I 95 at 82 MPH, one has a VA plate on the car and the other a NY plate on the car. A state trooper can only stop one of them...Who does the trooper stop? The Virginia driver for sure..The VA driver will be assessed the new civil penalties attached to certain traffic offenses and have to pay an additional $1000 over the fine to the state coffers. The out of state driver will only be assessed the fine. Pulling over the VA driver is much more profitable!!!
It's not racial profiling that we hear so much about that VA drivers have to fear, it's residential profiling!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 12:30 PM

743 posts, read 3,901,098 times
It's only been 5 days... have you even seen this occur, or are you assuming this would happen? My assumption would be that, at 82 MPH, an out of state driver will be much less likely to fight the charge, and would be much more eager to pay the fine and be done with it. It's generally easier money to ticket an out of state driver, because you almost know they won't attend their court date...

That's my thoughts on it anyways.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:03 PM

61 posts, read 122,335 times
Just another corrupt State Rep. that is looking to make money. You see,.....the idiot that pushed for this Bill is a Lawyer, and his firm represents Traffic Offenders in the State of Virginia. His firms gonna make alot more money now because of what he passed through. Dont believe me,......check it out.

Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket

Vote this fool out of office,.....and then have the newly elected Rep's get rid of such an outrageous law.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:29 PM

267 posts, read 1,674,769 times
Why does anyone "need" to do 82? Knowing it's illegal and reckless regardless of where you live, it's just plain stupid, not profiling. I drive down I-95 to Fredericksburg about once a month and doing 70-74 is plenty fast enough to stay with traffic and not enough to get reckless. 82 is one of those idiots flying past everyone and weaving in and out of traffic, IMO and my experience.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 14,558 times
Here I go stirring up the pot - Okay, not that I am an advocate of speeding or driving badly however, there have been a few times when I flew down the highways:
1. my uncle in hospital dying
2. I was late for a multi-million dollare business deal
3. my best friend's wedding.

The benefit that I have over other area drivers is - the my uncle was a stunt car driver and taught me how to speed "safely". I have never been in an accident that was my fault. He taught me how to slide, gain control of an out of control vehicle, drive on two wheels, use my emergency brake in ways you could never imagine. He took me onto a skid pad - made me test the limits of not only my car - but myself. The best thing he ever taught me - was how to work on my own car!

I must say that if you know your car inside and out, know how not to be a bully on the road, and other unmentionables, then I would feel safe that if there were more drivers like my uncle on the road, I would rather a highway full of us than a highway full of those that have just gone to DMV and "received: their license. They are the dangerous people!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:15 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,765 times
Only Va drivers are going to be given the stiff fines and consequencs, not out of staters, it would hurt the travel industry they say, not fair I say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia