Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:27 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,444,707 times

Advertisements

Fldude, Let me see if I understand this. You're upset that Virginia has an "unfair" law against a device that allows you to break the law. Just curious: what makes you so special that you're allowed to drive faster than other people?

And Bob.Ford, I-95 runs north and south on the eastern side of the state. Virginia Tech is on the western side of I-81. So, I'm not sure where the "infamous" corridor is located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 03:14 PM

156 posts, read 369,907 times
very true I was caught on rt 29 coming back from NJ and I had forgotten abought the radar detector because it had fallen off the dashboard .It was off and I still got a ticket because he saw it on the floor of the truck .I live in VA and moved down here from NJ and I use the radar detector more for my safety because it has a feature on it that picks up rescue vehicles and also accidents where there are emergency vehicles of any kind .I usually drive at night and being alone I take precautions for my safety .I do not believe in the law against radar detectors and have E-mailed every state official I can think of over the years telling them there other features in the new detectors that are for peoples safety .This cop who stopped me even gave me a warning on my GPS device because it has a speed sensor in it that tells me I am going over the speed limit .I was going 55 in a speed zone that was to be 35 and he stopped me just passed the 55 speed sign . I took picture of my vehicle with my cell phone and the police car in it and showed it in court and the ticket was thrown out .I also took a picture of the speed sign before that one and it said 45 not 35 .The judge said the sign was far enough back that I could have gotten up to that speed and then he threw out the radar detector ticket too because the cop stated it was on the floor of the vehicle .I think alot of laws down here need looked into better .If I had not taken the time to go back to the other sign the ticket might have been my first ticket ever and cell phones that take pictures are great.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:32 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
Better to have a radar jamming or stealth device so your car is invisible on police radar. You can get one cheap at

Old 03-12-2010, 10:37 AM

84 posts, read 287,802 times
Just be glad that he didn't take the detector and make you come to court to get it back

Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,739 times
Are there any requirements or request a security code when buying a radar Detector from an authorized distributor?

Old 10-25-2010, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,739 times
i am in a visit to Illinois

Old 10-28-2010, 01:43 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy77 View Post
This cop who stopped me even gave me a warning on my GPS device because it has a speed sensor in it that tells me I am going over the speed limit
By this logic wouldn't speedometers and your eyeballs be illegal too? You can also use those to see how fast you're going.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,711 times
here is my story, my family and I left Georgia on my way back to Boston on Saturday after Thankgiving its 1:30am , its a 4 lane highway (2 in each direction) there are no street lights on the highway , I notice the cop behind me in the other lane, I was traveling 5mph below the speed limit, and for about 5 miles the cop stayed with me and pulls me over after I enter the so called safety corridor) and says you have a radar detector and gives me a 150 dollar ticket cause he got to double it cause I was in the safety corridor or I could fight if I want. I can bet you I will not even by air for my tires in that state and we normally stop in virginia cause its a half way point but not no more will i ever spend a dime in that state and to top it off the radar detector didnt even work.
I believed he picked on me because I have outer state plates.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:29 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Can anyone adequately explain WHY a radar detector is needed? Drive the speed limit or 5 or so above on highways. When I was young I did drive faster but have come to realize that I'd rather get to my destination in one piece, not have the stress, etc. Honestly, speeding "may" get you from Point A to Point B a few minutes sooner, BIG DEAL.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:36 AM

148 posts, read 370,774 times
Maybe because some people have bad luck with traffic cops? They can technically pull you over for going 1 mph over the speed limit if they really wanted to. Traffic cops are a huge pain and I don't think they should be able to pull you over unless you're going extremely fast and driving reckless. What's the big deal if someone is doing 70 on a highway? Honestly, 70 is still kind of slow, especially on long, straight ways; and that's where they always camp out as well because they know people begin to drive faster in those more rural areas. It's all a scam in my opinion as far as speed limits go. Virginia needs to get with the times and stop living in the 1950's or whenever it was established that highway speeds be 55. They're finally slowly starting to raise them up to 65 but even that is still slow and unworthy of attention. Radar detectors are a worthy instrument to have (I don't have one) because people naturally will drive higher than any posted speed limit and unless they're endangering peoples lives or driving way over the posted limit than there is no issue. Heck, the speed limit is 80 in some places in Texas and as high as 75 in some parts of California. Chill out VA. 55 ain't ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: