Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 03:04 PM

430 posts, read 836,517 times

Advertisements

Having lived in different parts of Virginia for nearly 30 years (but not anymore) I can say that Virginia is unquestionably a "border state" and a Mid-Atlantic state. It's not quite Southern, but it's a little more Southern than it is Northern.

Virginia Beach, Charlottesville, and Northern Virginia are not Southern at all. The first is distinctly "Coastal" in culture, and the other two are very much Mid-Atlantic but leaning more Northern than Southern.

Richmond is increasingly a progressive city, but nearly as much as progressive Atlanta, remains Southern in identity. Winchester is hardly progressive at all, but only about 1% more Southern than Charlottesville.

The rural and suburban parts of the state that are not near Virginia Beach or Northern Virginia are pretty darned Southern. The exception may be Roanoke and the Southwest, which is more (Northern / West Virginian) Appalachian than Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 05:36 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,503,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Having lived in different parts of Virginia for nearly 30 years (but not anymore) I can say that Virginia is unquestionably a "border state" and a Mid-Atlantic state. It's not quite Southern, but it's a little more Southern than it is Northern.

Virginia Beach, Charlottesville, and Northern Virginia are not Southern at all. The first is distinctly "Coastal" in culture, and the other two are very much Mid-Atlantic but leaning more Northern than Southern.

Richmond is increasingly a progressive city, but nearly as much as progressive Atlanta, remains Southern in identity. Winchester is hardly progressive at all, but only about 1% more Southern than Charlottesville.

The rural and suburban parts of the state that are not near Virginia Beach or Northern Virginia are pretty darned Southern. The exception may be Roanoke and the Southwest, which is more (Northern / West Virginian) Appalachian than Southern.
What would you say about North Carolina? Just out of curiosity.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
What would you say about North Carolina? Just out of curiosity.
I haven't been to NC as much and never lived there even for a day, but my impression of North Carolina is that everything is just a bit more Southern than its Virginia counterpart. Durham-Chapel Hill is slightly more Southern than Charlottesville. Charlotte, slightly more Southern than Richmond. And the beach areas like Wilmington are a bit more Southern than Virginia Beach. Additionally, North Carolina is definitely a lot more into NASCAR than Virginia is, a taste which I associate to some degree with "Southernness". At the same time, it's not much into college football and much more into college basketball, something I associate as relatively un-Southern.

My overall impression is that Virginia is a 5 on a Southern scale of 1 to 10, while North Carolina is a 6+ and South Carolina is a 9.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:55 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,503,800 times
Quote:
I haven't been to NC as much and never lived there even for a day, but my impression of North Carolina is that everything is just a bit more Southern than its Virginia counterpart. Durham-Chapel Hill is slightly more Southern than Charlottesville. Charlotte, slightly more Southern than Richmond. And the beach areas like Wilmington are a bit more Southern than Virginia Beach. Additionally, North Carolina is definitely a lot more into NASCAR than Virginia is, a taste which I associate to some degree with "Southernness". At the same time, it's not much into college football and much more into college basketball, something I associate as relatively un-Southern.

My overall impression is that Virginia is a 5 on a Southern scale of 1 to 10, while North Carolina is a 6+ and South Carolina is a 9.
College basketball is more of an Upper South thing (i.e. North Carolina, Kentucky, Virginia) while college football is king in the Deep South (i.e. Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi). Around Raleigh/Durham, college basketball is obviously huge but not so much NASCAR. I'm from Raleigh, but I can honestly say I didn't know anyone big into NASCAR growing up. I'm sure it's a different story in Charlotte, though. North Carolina is known as the "birthplace of NASCAR" after all.

I'd say you're pretty accurate, yes. Virginia and North Carolina are similar states, but North Carolina feels more southern to me. Just drive from Raleigh to Greensboro and compare it with driving from Richmond to Charlottesville or maybe Norfolk. You'll notice, just by looking at the billboards and your surroundings, that North Carolina is just a little more southern. In a very general way, North Carolina is becoming more suburban as transplants continue to flood the state, but head into rural areas away from the major metros and it'll be very southern (especially Eastern NC). Some areas like the Research Triangle are probably more similar to the Virginia major metros, though. I always thought Raleigh/Durham, Richmond, and the outer Northern Virginia suburbs felt similar. However, I'd still say Raleigh/Durham feels more southern than any Virginia metro despite all the transplants.

Virginia is basically a transition zone between the South and Mid-Atlantic, while North Carolina is more so comfortably in the South. Some people will say "Oh, Raleigh isn't the South anymore" but I think Raleigh is comfortably in the South, as thing start to get iffy north of Richmond (probably 3 hours from Raleigh).

Old 05-08-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia33 View Post
Take Charlottesville, for example. Why would a place that doesn't consider itself Southern be referred to as Southern by magazines, historians, restaurants and music venues?

Wayside Chicken - Breakfast, Takeout, Dine In and Catering; Ole Virginia Fried Chicken, Fried Chicken,UVA, Jefferson Park Avenue - "Wayside Takeout & Catering, featuring Ole Virginia Fried Chicken...Listed in Southern Living’s
“Best of the South”..."

http://www.virginianrestaurant.com/thevirginian/ - "The Virginian Restaurant is lauded as “one of the south’s most famous eateries” in Coy Barefoot’s book, The Corner..." Coy Barefoot is a local historian.

The Southern Cafe & Music Hall :: Home - Small music venue

C-VILLE Weekly - Charlottesville News and ArtsC-VILLE Weekly - About Bluegrass Grill and Bakery, a good ol' Southern breakfast joint. (End edit)
Long time Charlottesvillian and current New Yorker here.

I've eaten at all four of those restaurants (or taken out in the case of Wayside), and they are delicious. They are not, however, indicative of local recipes, cuisine, or culture.

They are each purposely a lot more Southern than Charlottesville is ("The Southern" being an exception, as it's just a meaningless name for a very Mid-Atlantic feeling venue that is little changed from "The Gravity Lounge" before it) so that transplants from the true South or people who are just hankering for real Southern food will come on by since they can't get anything resembling Southern food at about 90% of eating establishments in Charlottesville.

It's much the same in New York City, where some of the best Southern food I have ever eaten is in the East Village.

Another local example of "what's in a name, not much" is Shenandoah Joe, the most popular coffee in Charlottesville. It's named 'Shenandoah' and yet no one would claim C-ville is actually in the Shenandoah Valley.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:42 AM

3,751 posts, read 2,584,289 times
Quote:
I can say that Virginia is unquestionably a "border state'...
Yeah, you can say that.. but it's neither geographically, or historically, accurate.

Maryland, Delaware, Missouri, and Kentucky are the Border States. Virginia was/is Old South. peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia