Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 08:24 AM

7 posts, read 28,094 times

Advertisements

Lexington has been growing rapidly in the past decade. This past year especially. There is a Papa John's opening up in October. I know most cities have one but we didn't. There is another pizza place opening up on Rt. 11 right by the interstate exit. Some California Pizza. There is word a Macadoo's is opening. There are currently two seperate plaza's under construction. It's growing fast, and I for one, welcome it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 08:27 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,581 times
Smile Answers regarding Lexington

Hello,

I would like to try and answer some of your questions about Lexington and the surrounding areas. I can hopefully give you a great deal of information and here is why. I grew up in Covington, VA (45 minutes away),have resided the past 7 years in Buena Vista ,VA (6 miles away). I work part time for Rockbridge area Tourism (Lexington Visitor Center) and have an extensive knowledge of the surrounding area from Buena Vista, Lexington and Rockbridge County to the cities of Covington, Clifton Forge and Alleghany County. My husband was the former Director of Community Development for the city of Buena Vista and now holds that same position with Fluvanna County, Va. I am also A Realtor with a local hometown Company. I work a great deal with those wanting to relocate to an area that offers a vast array of cultural and outdoor activities, yet with a much needed slower pace. Let me tell you about some of those such as the Lenfest Center for the Performing Arts on the campus of Washington & Lee,with over 127 public performances each year, they offers plays, lectures, ballet, opera to name a few. Next would be The Theater at Lime Kiln (a 19th century lime kiln and quarry) with its restored arched hearth kilns and towering stone chimney, there is nothing more spectacular then a a concert or play under the stars. VMI (Virginia Military Institue) also has a vast array of activites that go on through out the year and as always they public is invited. For the outdoor lover, we are located at the foot of the Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, the parkway with its many hiking trails and waterfalls is within a 15 minute drive from Lexington. The AppalachianTrail, it's here too. Take leisurely stroll by the Maury River on the Chessie Trail. Hike to Panther Falls, how about a drive out to Goshen Pass where in the summer you can crawl out on massive rocks and sunbath, The drive in the spring offers Mountain Laurel and Rhododendron and the fall colors are unbelievable. If Rafting, tubing and canoeing are your thing. The Maury River runs through Lexington and Buena Vista and turns into The James River near Glasgow (10 minute drive) offering several classes of rapids. A new indoor/outdoor pool has just been completed for those of you that enjoy swimming all year round. Need exercise? Join the YMCA here in town. How about Golf? The Lexington Golf and Country Club and the newer Vista Links public golf courses(Buena Vista) which is rated one of the top hardest golf courses in Virginia. Glen Maury parks calendar of events stays full of Bluegrass, country, rock & pop concerts.They also have Fridays in the parks and Lexington offers Fridays Alive at the Old Liberty Hall Ruins ( thats where W&L got it's start!) If your going to live here you need to know the great places to eat and we have some of the best around. Cafe Michel, consistenly a 5-star fine dining, Sheridan Livery Inn, Bistro on Main, Tuscanny Italian, Southern Inn and The Palms to name a few.
You are only going to be bored here if you allow yourself to be. We have alot of history in the little town, so next time your here stop by the visitor center and ask for the self guided walking tour. You won't be sorry.

We have great schools in both Lexington and Buena Vista. Stonewall Jackson Hospital is located in the heart of Lexington. True, Lexington doesnt offer large shopping malls but we have some great little shops in town. We have several grocery stores and for those of you who can't exist without Walmart, we have that too. We are located right off the I-64 & I 81 interchange. Staunton (30 minutes I-81 north) Charolttesville & UVA Football (75 minutes I-64 East), Roanoke (45 minutes I-81 South) LOL, Blacksburg & VA TECH football is (75 Minutes away)
You like it so far? Well ask yourself this. When is the last time my kids or any of us for that matter, could walk down main street in the evening with homemade ice cream (we have that too) and enjoy such a peaceful warm feelign that truly can not be defined, I hope I have peaked your interest in Lexington and the srurrounding areas. I havent even touched base on Staunton and Stuarts Draft but I will save that for another time. If you'd like anymore information. Just let me know. I will be glad to try and answer your questions.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:27 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,943 times
Hey Cdshiflett, welcome aboard! A very helpful first post. If you're a realtor then take care to read the guidelines here, I mention just in case you haven't yet. I know a few very helpful folks who were also realtors and despite being very helpful their accounts were banned due to violations of (overly?) sensitive regulations of realtors on these forums. I think your post is perfectly fine. If memory serves folks got into trouble when they linked to their blog/real estate site.

Sean

Old 08-20-2007, 05:08 AM

Macado's will be opening where the former Wilson-Walker House was on main street.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:34 AM

7 posts, read 28,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdshiflett View Post
Macado's will be opening where the former Wilson-Walker House was on main street.
Thats great. I've eaten at the one in Salem a couple of times and it was good. Is there a bulletin somewhere that lists all the new businesses coming to the area?

Old 08-31-2007, 02:21 PM

9 posts, read 41,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
Thats great. I've eaten at the one in Salem a couple of times and it was good. Is there a bulletin somewhere that lists all the new businesses coming to the area?
Lexington is a small town and it's been common knowledge about Macado's coming to town all summer. I think the information was in the local papers, but I don't really know. Try these websites for the most up to date info:

DOWNTOWN LEXINGTON
Lexington Rockbridge Chamber of Commerce
Lexington, Virginia Visitor's Center promoting all of Rockbridge County
Rockbridge Weekly
The News-Gazette, Lexington, VA

Old 09-01-2007, 04:56 PM

4 posts, read 19,936 times
Thank you all so much! Everyone's input has been very helpful. My husband and I have visited Lexington seveal times and love it more and more! The only downfall is the expense of the in town homes. We'll keep looking! Thanks again!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
There is a discussion forum for Rockbridge County, with many Lexingtonians posting there:

Rockbridge Forum :: Index (http://maisestudio.com/rock/index.php - broken link)

This is NOT a commercial site, administrators!

I've joined up but have not posted yet. I'm considering applying for a job in Lexington, so I'm going to be seeking out more info about it.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:42 AM

I have been to the forum once in a while......... I just avoid it . Seems to be more of a bashing forum then anything else. But hey maybe they can use a different topic....... If It changes I may sign up.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,732 times
I grew up in Lexington and remember playing and climbing around the lime kilns. What great memories. I sometimes wish I could move back to Lexington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia