Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 13,655 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have an interview ifor a professional position next week (egad!) in the Staunton area and was wondering (don't laugh!) about whether a red dress was "too much" colorwize to wear. Should I go for something "softer"? Having lived in the south in previous years I don't want to overwhelm my interviewers, juse be on the same level with them.

Also, as a single female in my 40s, I don't care about the schools and such, but I do care about things to do in the area. I was in Staunton very briefly about a month ago and felt it was a really charming town! I just got a great feeling about it. I am not a bar person, but an arts person. I will drive a bit to my entertainment, not more than an hour though.

Lastly, while I am in the area I want to talk to reputable realtors and see what is out there and what the going rate is. Since it is just myself and my cat, I need a house (pref) with washer and dryer hookup. Not more than a half/hour from where I would work--if all works out that would be in the Staunton-Fishersville area.

Any helpful advice you can provide would be much appreciated. The sooner I can get out of DE the happier I will be!

Thanks so much!
411hk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 05:23 PM

22 posts, read 117,315 times
Default Your red dress

Red is too loud for an interview. Wear your flashy stuff after you get the job.

Staunton was a little too charming for me when I interviewed there about 17 years ago.

But, you can take Amtrak over to Charlottesville on weekends to soak up some culture. No car required. You can take the train from Staunton to NYC or Chicago too.

Good luck with your interview!

Old 07-23-2007, 05:50 PM

209 posts, read 607,213 times
Default Re: Staunton and red dress

Red's too flashy. I lived in Harrisonburg for two years. I loved it! Many people will trash talk the town, but there is a lot to do if you search it out and are willing to drive a little. C'ville is a great artsy town, but renting is expensive. There are many great shops and things. As far as Staunton, it's quiet in the evenings, but very nice. There is a Shakespeare theatre there that puts on first-rate performances throughout the year; I went often. They are wonderful. In Harrisonburg, there are many restaurants although, the shopping is a little weak in terms of clothes. JMU is there and so is EMU, so you can go to concerts and things if that is up your alley. It's also the most beautiful area of the country I have ever seen--I will never forget what some of those days looked like with the stars and the mountains. If you are an outdoorsy person, you will never want for anything to do, especially in the mild seasons. There is the Blue Ridge Parkway (free!), Skyline Drive, and many show caves. There is also a lot of bluegrass if you are into that. Grand Caverns has a huge bluegrass festival every fall, and they bring in some of the best bands. There are some cute artsy shops in downtown Harrisonburg, too. Best of luck t oyou.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,012 times
Default I have lived in Wayesboro for the last seven years.....

Staunton IS a charming town. However, because it is small, the local bar scene is what most people here go for. It can be VERY boring because although they have a lot of theatres, etc. for their arts program, they don't use them very often. These buildings sit vacant. Red for your job interview would be fine. Most of the people in this area are not from here. I am from upstate New York. My husband is from here. We met while serving together in the Marine Corps. It took me a while to get used to it here. I am in my 40's as well and have two children. It's like anything else a person does.....it can be fun but you really have to go and look for it. There is beautiful scenery here but there IS a bad drug problem in this area. We are the hub between Interstate 64 and Interstate 81 and methamphetamine is rampant here.

There are a lot of illegal aliens here, too.

Don't want to burst your bubble but unless you get into a church group or find some decent people to hang out with, it can be pretty boring. I tend bar during the week so I've been able to meet a lot of good people. They're here. You just have to find them.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 19,937 times
My husband and I are interested in moving to Staunton but after reading your post about drug problems and the high number of illegal aliens I'm a bit concerned.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:56 PM

79 posts, read 302,469 times
Staunton is SAFE, and it's very quaint. I have not seen many illegal aliens, but they might be here. The drug problem can seem bad, but it's no different from any other place. Because Staunton is small, and you tend to interact with the same people (if you go to bars especially), you will see that type of stuff. The bar scene is fun, but can get old. Once you find some cool people you will be set! It's a friendly town.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:28 PM

96 posts, read 385,894 times
Default I'd go with Stuanton

I lived in Hburg for 4 years (no I was not in college)...my wife and I would drive to Staunton to go out to eat and shop. In terms of charm, Staunton is a great little city, with a terrific historic district and lots of nice little shops and places to eat and drink..Hburg on the other hand is quite simply an ugly little turkey town with 15K college students..traffic can be terrible, and the city just has no charm at all. Zilch...If you are a college student, and want to be around other students, go for it...though the population of Hburg is general more cosmopolitian than Stuanton, as a 40 year old, I'd choose Staunton...

Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,771 times
Default bacs

out of staunton, waynesboro and surrounding areas, which is best for retired couple? want to be near hospital,shopping,doctors,etc. am spoiled and want to be near these things without having to gotoo far.want house and not townhouse or apartment.daughter lives in warrington. want to be within hour or less from her. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia