Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 11:19 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
So as to break it up a bit, here is the rest of my reply to your post...

The survey was furnished.

Otherwise, the rest of this drivel boils down to can it be proven the respondents were natives of Maryland?

No, it can't be. Just as it might or not be that the respondents from Texas, Viriginia, Florida, Arkansas, Mississippi, etc...were actual natives of the said states. BUT? Over a 7 year period and 17,000 people surveyed? The results are clearly consistent. The stats I furnished are the aggregate of the 7 year bi-annual poll. It is the most extensive study ever done on self-identification.

There are 13 states where a clear majority of residents consider themselves to live in the South and consider themselves Southerners. Maryland is not one of those states. Bottom line is that the same criteria applied to Maryland was applied to all the others.

Now then, that is really all I have to say to you. You can take it or leave it. I have wasted quite a bit of time as it is, and I don't consider bantering back and forth with a parrot (*squawk squawk...everyone hates maryland...everyone hates maryland...polly wanna a cracker...squawk* ) the ideal way to spend a Saturday night.

At your obvious age, don't you ever have a date...?
Can't answer the last three questions so when in doubt resort to opinionated statements that does not weigh against the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State.......

Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 PM

37 posts, read 84,702 times
Southern but with Northern influences. In 50 years, it might become a northern state.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:57 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,964 times
Well I was born and raised in Maryland. I also lived and went to school in DC and it has never ever even crossed my mind until I joined CD that Maryland was Southern. I've never ever even looked at myself as a Southerner for that matter and when ever I visit places that are further South like NC or SC I always stick out like a soar thumb, where as all other people from further south all blended with each other very easily. It's like they could tell that I was not from down there and most of them can tell that I was from the DC area or somewhere further North. I've never been called a Southerner my entire life Until someone on CD told me that I was a Southerner because my state is just below some line. I was already aware of the "M.D Line" BTW, but what I didn't know was that as soon as you step one foot over the M.D line from the PA side of the line to the Maryland side of the line that you were automatically culturally considered a "Southerner" as if the M.D line is far far away or something LOL. Geographically the state of Maryland is in the South, but it barley made it though. The Northern half of the M.D Line missed Maryland by that much and you could do one hop scotch over the M.D. Line and whala.... just like that your in the North that fast, so Maryland can't possibly be all that Southern when it's the first State South of the M.D. Line. It cant even be a gateway to the South IMO. The Gateway to the South has to be Richmond being as though it's a good little ways away from the line and it's also where things began to shift to the Southern like attitudes culturally IMHO.

Culturally Nova is not Southern by any means.

Geographically it is, even though it's further away from the M.D. Line than Maryland is.

Last edited by DMV; 03-27-2011 at 12:17 AM..

Old 03-27-2011, 03:48 AM

115 posts, read 243,256 times
I was born and raised in the lower eastern shore of Maryland. I do think the state has aspects of southerness culturally, but I never thought of it as a southern state. Along the I-95 and I-270 corridor in Maryland is not southern because of the population of people born and raised elsewhere living there. The rest of the state is questionable though. I do have a tidewater accent/dialect, but it's not too heavy like most people talk in southeast Virginia . Yes I eat grits, soul food, other southern related foods, and never considered myself a southerner.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:05 AM

38 posts, read 96,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R View Post
I was born and raised in the lower eastern shore of Maryland. I do think the state has aspects of southerness culturally, but I never thought of it as a southern state. Along the I-95 and I-270 corridor in Maryland is not southern because of the population of people born and raised elsewhere living there. The rest of the state is questionable though. I do have a tidewater accent/dialect, but it's not too heavy like most people talk in southeast Virginia . Yes I eat grits, soul food, other southern related foods, and never considered myself a southerner.
If you're from St. Mary's county you are southern!
That whole Calvert, Charles and St. Mary's county area reminds me of Alabama.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:07 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
It looks like from your survey TexasReb, that 40% of Marylanders think their community is in the South. While 40% is still a minority, it is still a sizable one and certainly more than I expected.

So while I personally feel Maryland fits in these days better with the Northeast, it certainly is not a slam-dunk case.
This is very true. I personally do not consider Maryland to be part of the South, but it has nothing to do with any dislike of Maryland.

A certain poster, however, (who I am going back to generally ignoring) just goes on and on with the same speel -- to the point it is almos autistic -- about how everyone who feels the same must "hate Maryland".

I mean, hell, I know some folks from the Deep South (some are even kinfolks! LOL) who do not consider Texas (or Virginia or Arkansas, some even exclude Louisiana!) to be part of the region either. I think they are wrong and will say so and why...but it never occurs to me that the reason is because they "hate Texas" (even though I am sure some do! LOL). But anyway...

On a related tangent concerning that survey/study, the thing that sticks out most (IMHO) is the "gap" between the percentage of those who consider themselves to live in the South and think of themselves as Southerners. This is (not surprisingly), most evident in Florida (with 90% saying they live in the region, but only the barest majority -51% -- claiming Southern identification). Albeit to a lesser extent, the same type "gap" exists in Virginia and Texas. The common denominator is that all of these states are ones with a high percentage of non-Southern and foriegn migrants/transplants. So while they may acknowledge they live in the South, they feel no sense of self-identification with it.

It is noteable also that even in the Deep South states, there is a chasm between the two questions...

Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 AM

386 posts, read 987,252 times
Culturally VA is southern but there is also mid atlantic influences in the Charlottesville, Tidewater, and Richmond area. NOVA is a midatlantic area like the rest of the DC region. Places southwest and south of Richmond are culturally fully southern (exception is cities of 757). Examples of central and southside VA accents.

Common Central VA accent from a worker at a hospital in Lynchburg. (Sounds similar to some Carolina and Tennessee accents)
http://www.youtube.com/user/CentraHe...44/_K7NxoS2vE0

Southern steel television show that was filmed in Lynchburg, VA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFDBI...eature=related

Old Southside VA accent. Former major of Farmville, VA (Sounds similar to the old Tidewater/Richmond accents)
http://www.youtube.com/user/CentraHe...49/Fxc-7OX0oNU

Old 03-27-2011, 12:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,991 times
va is certainly a southern state, just as texas, florida, and several other southern states, even though it happens to be geographically located in an area of the country where many residents are transplanted due to employment, by choice, due to family responsibilities, or because of a desire to relocate because of the beauty of the state and its particular amenities.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I just wanted to point out that the term 'Mid-Atlantic' does not fit in with the 'North-South' continuum. They are terms from two different systems of reckoning the geography of the East.

After all, New York State is Mid-Atlantic and much of it is further north than all but northern New England.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:54 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
Well I was born and raised in Maryland. I also lived and went to school in DC and it has never ever even crossed my mind until I joined CD that Maryland was Southern. I've never ever even looked at myself as a Southerner for that matter and when ever I visit places that are further South like NC or SC I always stick out like a soar thumb, where as all other people from further south all blended with each other very easily. It's like they could tell that I was not from down there and most of them can tell that I was from the DC area or somewhere further North. I've never been called a Southerner my entire life Until someone on CD told me that I was a Southerner because my state is just below some line. I was already aware of the "M.D Line" BTW, but what I didn't know was that as soon as you step one foot over the M.D line from the PA side of the line to the Maryland side of the line that you were automatically culturally considered a "Southerner" as if the M.D line is far far away or something LOL. Geographically the state of Maryland is in the South, but it barley made it though. The Northern half of the M.D Line missed Maryland by that much and you could do one hop scotch over the M.D. Line and whala.... just like that your in the North that fast, so Maryland can't possibly be all that Southern when it's the first State South of the M.D. Line. It cant even be a gateway to the South IMO. The Gateway to the South has to be Richmond being as though it's a good little ways away from the line and it's also where things began to shift to the Southern like attitudes culturally IMHO.

Culturally Nova is not Southern by any means.

Geographically it is, even though it's further away from the M.D. Line than Maryland is.
Of course some people from Washington, DC would feel like they are in the Northeast but there are a number of DC folx that have NEVER been to areas of Maryland south of Prince Georges/Charles County and East of Anne Arundel County, and West of Frederick County..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia