Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 12:58 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,406,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Thanks!

However it does not take away from the Fact that Maryland does have Confederate Memorials, Maryland is below the Mason-Dixon line, and it is a Southern State..........

Old 03-24-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Aaaaw. Diddums we just burst your safety bubble?

I am constantly surprised by how little you know of the very state you keep making such passionate claims for.

And don't bother asking people for information when you know that no matter how factual it is you will simply ignore it and make some nonsense up. You are very much a superfluous poster and I really wish, for your sake, that you'd stop being so ignorant.
Just like you ignored the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State and Maryland has Confederate Memorials.......

Old 03-24-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknew? View Post
NOT REALLY NOBODY in the real world, and I mean NOBODY considers Maryland to be southern. Or Delaware.
Except with people that have an ounce of psychological sanity........

Quote:
Ever had a conversation with someone from the deep south about Maryland? Let me know how that goes
Pleanty of times since I have friends and family in GA and FL.

Quote:
Them low country folk in SC & GA will laugh in your face!
Oh them same folks that get clowned and stereotyped by non-Southerners and looked at as the American Black Sheep and an Embarrassment of the Southeast region.

Its people like that gives the National media a reason to make negative stereotypes about the south being socially delayed....

I know personally that the stereotypes are not true however that little wise --- comment above are one of the roots that fuels the stereotypes that the media makes about Southerners......

Quote:
Only people in New England that don't get out much seem to think Maryland is the south.. To people actually in the south...
More like deep rooted Confederate apologist Maryland Haters that have NEVER been to the state of Maryland and only judging the state of Maryland based on Pure Hatred will deny the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State.......

Last edited by $mk8795; 03-24-2012 at 01:31 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
lol Let me assist you. Nobody educated thinks Maryland or Delaware are southern.
Right they are educated to deny the Proven Fact that Maryland is below the Mason/Dixon line and Maryland is a Southern State......

However Educated people with good sanity will not argue against the Facts presented that Maryland is a Southern state.......

Old 03-24-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
People from the Deep South is one thing, but it's more telling when most people from the Upper South don't consider Maryland to be southern, save Diff1.
Opinions but definitely not facts that can delete the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State......

Old 03-24-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstate View Post
Maryland,Kentucky and Missouri are all border states. West Virginia seceded from Virginia and became a new state during the war. It is true that all of these states had some who fought for the union and some who fought for the confederacy. These states most likely except for West Virginia possibly, would have joined the confederate cause had they not been forced to stay in the union by Lincoln and the federal army. Maryland did have strong southern loyalties but no for the most part is not considered southern as history has written this in stone.NOVA is just a place for government workers and contractors who reside there just for jobs and nothing else. NOVA is still southern in origin and continues to have that unique southern vibe going on. When you cross the Potomac out of D.C. you just know you've entered Dixie.
You do know that Maryland is south of DC too?????

Old 03-24-2012, 02:50 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,964,429 times
Is Virginia a Northern or Southern state?

When I see questions like this I just have to laugh. I see so many people trying to change Southern states to Northern states. My question is Why? I am sure the good people of Virginia will assure you that it is now, has always been, and will always be a Southern state. People moving in can't change that.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:06 PM

18 posts, read 29,934 times
Martial Law is pretty much force! Very bad riots took place in the streets of Baltimore as a result. As for the vote on leaving the union, wouldn't you if you were made to do so or face imprisonment and possibly death? You are very wrong about Missouri, it was formally admitted to the confederacy in 1861 under Governor Claiborne Jackson.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:32 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,102,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstate View Post
Martial Law is pretty much force! Very bad riots took place in the streets of Baltimore as a result. As for the vote on leaving the union, wouldn't you if you were made to do so or face imprisonment and possibly death? You are very wrong about Missouri, it was formally admitted to the confederacy in 1861 under Governor Claiborne Jackson.
First off, you need to get your facts straight. Martial law was put in place as a result of the Baltimore riots, not afterwards. And how am I very wrong about Missouri? It is true that has been considered part of the Midwest since at least the beginning of the 20th century if not a little earlier. The only southern parts of Missouri left are the far south central and southeast portions of the state. With regards to Claiborne Jackson, as far as we know, until evidence suggests otherwise, he had no quorum that permitted him to convene in Neosho, and no house journal has ever been found either. The Confederacy recognized the Russellville Convention in kentucky, also a rump secession(although Kentucky became even more southern at Civil War's end. Culturally and linguistically it is still such today). And Jackson had no authority to secede anyhow...the state convention, which pretty much stayed together, voted decisively against secession twice, and the state furnished over 110,000 troops to the Union, at most 50,000 to the Confederacy.

Maryland provided 2/3 more troops to the Union then the Confederacy. At best it was a divided state during the Civil War.

At any rate, both states were essentially much less southern at the Civil War's end, to the point they couldn't be called that anymore.

Last edited by stlouisan; 03-24-2012 at 05:41 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 05:33 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,102,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
You do know that Maryland is south of DC too?????
Very little of Maryland is south of D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia