Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:55 PM

247 posts, read 499,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Mamma View Post
How stupid of me, I should've looked up Danville on here... But THANK YOU!

It's alright, it happens all the time. The important thing is you're gonna get the info you need! :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 06:17 PM

119 posts, read 363,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
...There aren't many transplants, or yankees as you call them...
Well in the Deep South thats what we call someone from up North

Quote:
...Martinsville is a lot smaller than Danville so it has the same negatives I listed above but only magnified (except Martinsville doesn't have a run-down looking downtown)...
That is what I imagined, simply because it is a lot smaller.

Quote:
...I think Danville has a southern vibe to it even though Virginia is not in the Deep South. Of course, you'll have to come visit for yourself and decide. Things I find negative about here you may not care about...
I will come visit this June- kayaking down the Dan River sounds like loads of fun! And yes, the negatives that you listed do not bother me that much, but like you said, it would be best to come visit.

But thank you for replying!!!
-Megan

Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,568,870 times
I have not lived in Danville or Martinsville, but very familiar as I managed office in both places, lived in Roanoke area, worked in Lynchburg, and family in South Boston (25 miles east of Danville). I never cared for either place (Mart./Dan), regardless of how "southern" they are - high unemployment, high crime, etc. For a southerner, I would recommend Lynchburg, Bedford or Farmville - they are equally "southern" with few Yankees, but are much nicer towns.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,250 times
I'm from Danville and I have lived here my whole life. I'm 18 years old and I noticed that somebody mentioned "night life". That is true, but that also makes the teens closer because they have to depend on their friends to give them something to do on the weekends. I'm also a baptist and we have tons of baptist churches in Danville. We're known as the city with a church on every corner! (: My church is a Southern Baptist church and we are in a "not-so-good" part of town. We help the community with a weekly soup kitchen to feed the hungry, a clothes closet is open once a week to clothe people who don't have enough money to buy clothes (but we're always accepting donated clothes!) and we also do numerous activities throughout the year for the community kids including a tutoring program and a nutritional cooking class. As far as shopping and recreational things, Danville is growing! We have recently opened quite a few restaurants including Kick Back Jacks and Olive Garden and we have a new shopping center that has a Target, Dick's Sporting Goods, Old Navy, and so many more nice shops. The traffic is bare until around 5pm. Then it gets a little more congested, but still nothing impossible to drive in. The downtown does seem run down. But you have to consider how old it is. There are still tons of cute little shops and diners that aren't run down at all. As far as jobs go, it will all depend on how determined you are to find one and also how picky you are. Places are always hiring and/or taking applications, you just have to impress them and show them you are dedicated. I am in the process of starting my own photography business and I decided to do this because I help raise my godson so I need very flexible hours which my own business will be able to give me. I noticed you said you were coming to visit this June, have you came yet? I would love to give you my email and maybe when you come my family and I can show you and your fiance' around.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,102,953 times
Martinsville by the way, has a NASCAR speedway, and a science museum.

Hillaryjae, welcome to the forum (since it's your first posting here), and good luck with your new business. I love your attitude - you sound like a wonderful young lady and a blessing to your family and community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia