Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:07 PM

68 posts, read 241,909 times

Advertisements

Jimrob1, if that were the case then I'd recommend Hampton Road's Ghent area in Norfolk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolkhr View Post
Jimrob1, if that were the case then I'd recommend Hampton Road's Ghent area in Norfolk.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Ghent area in Norfolk. If I was younger that might be a good spot, but Im in a different place in life now. Looking for a quieter less hectic spot now. Thanks again I will leave this thread now for the OP. I don't want to be hogging it up.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:22 PM

269 posts, read 255,822 times
Let's not sugar coat here. You have two options. NOVA (Northern Virginia) or Richmond. That's basically it.

NOVA/Charlottesville (some consider it NOVA/some don't) is more "active" gay. The closer you move Northeast, the more gay friendly it is. Charlottesville is a college town, and is filled with a lot of younger educated folks, and those who graduated from UVA. Crime is low. So, if you want more of an "scene" sophisticated type atmosphere, that is where you should live.

Richmond is more subdued in general, it's sort of a split between small and big city feel. There are some gay bars, but there are a lot of mixed bars, and bars that promote themselves as gay friendly. Richmond is a college town too, UofR, VCU, VUU, J-Sarge, you have people from William and Mary who live in the area. The median age is below 34, so it's a pretty young city. And there is a directive in place to prevent discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

Richmond is more about pockets. Fan District, Carytown, Downtown, Church Hill, Forest Hills. There are good areas and bad areas. If you stay in the good areas, things will generally be fine. Crime has gown down in the city.

Hopefully this helps you make an informed decision!

Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,065 times
The map of “households with same sex couples” (under “View More Maps”, “Housing and Families” topic) shows pockets of gays throughout Virginia-

Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Old 05-06-2011, 08:19 AM

4 posts, read 7,631 times
I have a gay friend who swears by downtown Fredericksburg,VA. I dont know too much, but he's the kinda guy who prefers Suga Daddys and they'll mix it up now and then with one of the many very attractive young men in that area. Just sayin

Old 05-15-2011, 11:27 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
I'd guess Roanoke wouldn't be too hospitable, but don't know for sure. I'd go to Charlottesville over Roanoke

Old 05-15-2011, 09:01 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
The best place in Virginia or anyplace for that matter is the place that makes you happy. It doesn't matter what place is rated the most gay friendly or the worst. One has to define what gay friendly means to them and take it from there. Always remember as long as gay people feel the need to live in certain areas of a state or city, then all we get is more segregation. Things never change and basically others are controlling where you live. You never want to let others control where you live and what you do with your life. Never. You may need to live in a place that is thought of as less than gay friendly. The reasons could be because the jobs are there. The COL is affordable for you in that place. Or family or friends are nearby. A place that has more recreational opportunities for you over another so called gay friendly area. Whatever the reasons it really doesn't matter in the end which place you live if it fulfills your life. In other words there is alot more to life than being gay or straight. You just can't let others walk all over you and make you feel you can't live somewhere because you won't be accepted. If they bother you then tell them perhaps they would be happier elsewhere, because your not going anywhere.

So live where you want and need to live in Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia