Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,050 times

Advertisements

Pardon my ignorance, as my last child graduates this month the wife and I have begun talking about "Our" new beginning. My wife has hated the winters here for 23 years.
Looking at heading south. Any input? Thanks so much. Any area's someone thinks is worth a look would be wonderful, suburb type area. I'm not much of a county boy, raised more city or burbs.
Again thanks you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,050 times
If i may add also, I'm a kidney transplant pt. so would feel better being with in diving distance of a major hospital too.

Thank you.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,664 times
Southern VA is an extremely nice area to live……. It is basically a giant suburb and on one side of Chesapeake is the city of Norfolk and on the other side you have Virginia Beach… which is the beach. Chesapeake is 15 minutes from North Carolina, and hour from Richmond (Bush Gardens and Williamsburg) and 2 and ½ to 3 hours from Washington DC. Chesapeake is about 8 and ½ hours from Pittsburgh. There is a great deal more to do here than in Pittsburgh. The weather is very hot in the summer and the fall is like summer in Pittsburgh, winter here is usually very mild but can have an inch or two of snow on occasion (but it is rather temperate) and the spring is like summer in Pittsburgh. VA Beach, as in the beach itself is 15 to 20 minutes from me, the city of Norfolk, which is a smaller city than Pittsburgh is also 15 minutes away. My personal opinion is there is no place like Western PA!!! I love western PA and the mountains and quiet… although, the Appalachian Trail (Sky Line Drive and Williamsburg) are not far. I live on a private lake so it is quiet here. But it is up to you!

There is a huge hospital system here called Sentara Health and Hospital System…. http://www.sentara.com/)

and there is also EVMS (Eastern Virginia Medical School)… http://www.evms.edu/

And there is always DUKE Medical School/Hospital….. http://www.dukehealth.org/ which is considered one of the best in the world!!

Last edited by Jazmyne; 04-21-2011 at 02:45 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,664 times
ohhh yes... and there are a LOT more job opportunities and higher pay here than in the burgh!! But I miss the burgh..... oh how i miss the burgh!!! I would kill for some O fries right now!! and a drive in with my husband!!!! and to go to the Bonfire and get a killer yummy fish sandwich!!! ohhhh my I miss western PA!!!

Old 04-21-2011, 04:13 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghwizard View Post
If i may add also, I'm a kidney transplant pt. so would feel better being with in diving distance of a major hospital too.

Thank you.
My husband as well - we're in Northern VA - Inova is well-known for it's transplants and he has a wonderful doctor(s).

Old 04-21-2011, 04:27 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,451,751 times
Northern Virginia is pretty pricey for retirees. Try reading some of the threads on here about Lynchburg, Roanoke, Charlottesville, Williamsburg, Bristol. There is a wealth of information about all of those localities on city data.

You haven't really given enough information for us to give recommendations -- approximate cost of home? jobs or retired? amenities you would be seeking? mountains? seaside? lakeside? hobbies? All of the above mentioned have hospitals and they're all in southern Virginia so the weather would be milder than Pittsburgh.

After you've read through the threads, you will have more specific questions.

Good luck.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:53 AM
ZZP

28 posts, read 40,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazmyne View Post
Chesapeake is 15 minutes from North Carolina, and hour from Richmond (Bush Gardens and Williamsburg) and 2 and ½ to 3 hours from Washington DC.
Not sure how fast you drive, but reflecting on the countless times I've driven up to Richmond from Chesapeake, I've never made it there in less than an hour and a half. It usually takes me just about 2 hours. DC is about 3 1/2 without traffic.
Also, you'll be 15 minutes from NC only if you're in certain parts of the Southern Chesapeake (Hickory/Grassfield), Great Bridge, and Deep Creek planning areas.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:42 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,659,108 times
South central Virginia from including the triangle of Roanoke, C'Ville, Lynchburg have moderate weather and low to moderate COL. All have good hospitals.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:08 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,318,757 times
VCU Medical Center would be beneficial... UNOS is also HQ'd in Richmond... they coordinate the organ donation network for the nation. Pay a visit to the National Donor Memorial National Donor Memorial | Memorial Garden
VCU Health System | MCV Hospitals and Physicians | Richmond, Virginia - Virginia Commonwealth University Health System
UNOS

Old 04-28-2011, 01:15 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,000,620 times
Virginia isn't much warmer in the winter than Pittsburgh! True, we might have a tad less snow, most of the time, but when we get more than 1/2 inch, the entire region shuts down. We simply don't deal with snow like more northern climes! Few plows, mostly pick-up trucks with a blade....not the most efficient removal method!

Va. is a lovely state, but it's not going to get your wife the "southern" weather she might be looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia