Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:30 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Is AMERICANA at all popular? (Old Crow Medicine Show, etc.) Y'know the alt-country type of bands? (Jayhawks, etc.) Or even that old outlaw country like Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, etc.

Seems like it is in Knoxville TN and Asheville NC.

Are there areas of Virginia that tap into that? Imagine maybe moreso near the mountains? How about up in Northern Virginia? or Charlottesville? Roanoke? etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 12:07 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is AMERICANA at all popular? (Old Crow Medicine Show, etc.) Y'know the alt-country type of bands? (Jayhawks, etc.) Or even that old outlaw country like Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, etc.

Seems like it is in Knoxville TN and Asheville NC.

Are there areas of Virginia that tap into that? Imagine maybe moreso near the mountains? How about up in Northern Virginia? or Charlottesville? Roanoke? etc.?
As far as there being scenes in VA, I'm not sure. The closest thing resembling one to me would be in Richmond which has spawned some intense metal bands(GWAR, Lamb of God, Municipal Waste etc) and looking at some local club posters, has a lot of hardcore and punk bands come through. R&B and Hip Hop seems more prevalent in Hampton Roads(Missy Elliott and Timbaland). Charlottesville is a mixed bag being a college town. Right now it seems that indie rock is popular, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear anything blasting out of someones car. Dave Matthews is from here and a underground goth band, Bella Morte are based here too. I was over in Staunton(Statler Brothers from here) this past weekend, and they have a street festival downtown every weekend, I think, and they get more of the traditional americana type music. What I heard I could be described as traditional bluegrass to an indie/rock/bluegrass hybrid. But there is no discernable scene there that I'm aware of. And in Floyd, which is below Roanoke they have a bluegrass festival every year I think, and that reminds me, so does Richmond downtown every year. The one in Richmond is more folk than straight bluegrass.

So with all that said, again I would not be shocked to hear anything blasted from anyones radio anywhere in VA. The state is so diverse nowadays that just about anything goes. It really depends what social demographic you associate with the most.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 PM

Just recently learned that Old Crow Medicine Show is out of Harrisonburg, Virginia.

Curious if there is a rich tradition of that kind of music, is that more in the Shenandoah Valley area. Quite a few of their other songs seem to honor old styles of mountain types of music.

YouTube - ‪Old Crow Medicine Show - Wagon Wheel [Official Music Video]‬‏

Old 05-24-2011, 08:45 AM

62 posts, read 277,743 times
There is definitely an Americana scene in Virginia. Like Tiger Beer said, two of the founding members of OCMS are from Harrisonburg, VA and they grew up playing at local joints.

I can speak to Charlottesville particularly. The Southern Cafe and Music Hall always seems to have Americana/folk/bluegrass/old-timey bands coming through. You can check out the schedule at: The Southern Café and Music Hall - Live Music Lives on the Downtown Mall

There's also the Jefferson Theatre in Charlottesville, which hosts a wide range of musical acts, but also sees a lot of the music-type you are asking about come through. I'd also keep an eye on the bands Miller's (where the members of DMB met) has on its events calendar, as it'll have a lot of local acts: http://www.millersdowntown.com/Mille...ril%202011.pdf

The Lime Kiln in Lexington, VA is also a great venue that hosts tons of acts that fall into the aforementioned categories.

There's a pretty big underground bluegrass/folk scene in Charlottesville, Richmond and everywhere south of these towns. If you look around online you will definitely find lots of bands to go see. Bands like the Hackensaw Boys, King Wilkie, the Honey Dewdrops, the Whiskey Rebellion, the Courtney Hollow Band all hail from Charlottesville / Richmond / central-Virginia (and there are definitely more groups, these are just what I can think of off the top of my head). Go to each of their websites and see which venues and towns they are playing in, then check out the calendars for those venues. You will find tons of good stuff.

There's also Floyd Fest in Floyd, VA at the end of July. You'll see a wide range of acts there, but OCMS is headlining it and there will be many other Americana bands playing there. There's also a smaller bluegrass festival outside Stuart, VA at Wayside Park. And Bristol, VA/TN's Rhythm & Roots Reunion in September: Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion Music Festival

I could go on and on, there's a lot to discover. Use these places/bands as starting points for your research and you are guaranteed to find more.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
http://ashlandcoffeeandtea.com/

Old 06-03-2011, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,283 times
Default Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion

There is a HUGE Americana music scene across Virginia, Tennessee and North Carolina where bands like The Avett Brothers and Old Crow Medicine Show originated. There is an expressway from Knoxville to Asheville of some of the best Americana you will ever find.

As for Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion it is a great venue for up-and-coming Americana artists. At $40 for Weekend Passes, you can't beat the price.

The twin cities of Bristol, TN/VA is known internationally as the original Birthplace of Country Music Alliance where The Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers were discovered and the first country music recordings were made during the famous Bristol Sessions. BRRR festival is a celebration of that and takes place on State Street annually with 22 stages (indoor and out) over the course of 3 days. The festival this year is September 16-18, 2011.

Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion is the first major festival to book the Grammy award-winning Carolina Chocolate Drops, and asmentioned before, we have a real knack for finding up-and-coming talent. This year bands like Dawes, The Cave Singers and Langhorne Slim will perform among heavy hitters like Robert Randolph & the Family Band, Railroad Earth, Marty Stuart and Tony Rice Unit.

BRRR has grown in leaps and bounds over the past ten years...last year about 45,000 people attended last year. The festival vibe is very laid back and unique. You can see artists carrying their equipment up and down State Street from gig to gig, and there is music in all the bars and restaurants all weekend long. Because it's a street festival, you don't have a lot of muddy fields and there is always somewhere to duck out of the hot sun.

The best part of BRRR is the price. With over 150 bands and so much access, a Weekend Pass is a mere $40 if you purchase before August 31st. BRRR is a non-profit, and organizers are determined to keep ticket prices affordable for fans. We also offer a free Children's Event on Saturday of the festival from 9am-1pm where families can gather with their kids in a lovely nearby park.

If you want to experience some of the best Americana, country, bluegrass, Piedmont blues and Celtic music anywhere at a great price, Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion is the place you want to be!

Last edited by BristolRhythm; 06-03-2011 at 08:06 AM..

Old 06-03-2011, 07:58 AM

Don't be fooled, Eddie from Ohio is actually from Virginia.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolRhythm View Post
There is an expressway from Knoxville to Asheville of some of the best Americana you will ever find.
Those are two cities I mostly think about when I think of Americana. As VA is so much in the vicinity. Actually Old Crow Medicine Show seems to embody Americana to such a strong degree. Great that they are a Virginia band.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Those are two cities I mostly think about when I think of Americana. As VA is so much in the vicinity. Actually Old Crow Medicine Show seems to embody Americana to such a strong degree. Great that they are a Virginia band.
My favorite Americana singer songwriter is Tom Russell but he lives in El Paso, Texas, though originally from CA. Lots of good Americana out West.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:59 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
Yes these is. Lots and lots of live music in Floyd, VA, not just FloydFest in the end of July but every weekend. The Jamboree at the Country Store is a long running tradition and when the weather is nice the sidewalks are filled with people playing for free and the crowds tumble out into the street.

Floyd Country Store » Music Schedule

there are several other locations with music - Hotel Floyd with free outdoor concerts on Thursdays - May - Oct?,
The Pine Tavern, Oddfellas Cantina and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia