Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 03:52 PM

841 posts, read 4,838,833 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of really pretty, woodsy primitive campsites in VA? We'd love to tent camp in the woods next to a fresh water lake for swimming, but we don't want to do this next to an RV or some big camping vehicle.
We'd need the campsite to have an outhouse toilet, but no need for running water, just well water is fine.
We're open to anywhere in VA.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 03:58 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,762 times
hey summers19,
you may have a hard time getting both "primitive" and any type of facility in the same spot !
I know what you mean though, I think....you don't want to stay in a "campground", with "camping spaces" right? I wouldn't either!
I'm moving to the Roanoke Valley next week. One of the things we are going to check out is the area known as Grayson Highlands...going to do some camping there at some point. I think you might find something to your liking over there. I've seen pictures, and it is reminiscent of the foothills of Montana...very "non-VA" looking!
Anyway...hope that gives you a starting place!

Last edited by j1n; 08-03-2007 at 04:10 PM..

Old 08-03-2007, 05:43 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
Does anyone know of really pretty, woodsy primitive campsites in VA? We'd love to tent camp in the woods next to a fresh water lake for swimming, but we don't want to do this next to an RV or some big camping vehicle.
We'd need the campsite to have an outhouse toilet, but no need for running water, just well water is fine.
We're open to anywhere in VA.
Thanks!
I know you asked for anywhere in Virginia, but let me tell you about one of the best places I ever camped as far as serenity and no sound of vehicles or people - The New River State Park in NORTH CAROLINA. It is so near the VA/NC border I thought maybe you would be interested.

Here is a link to the park info: Division of Parks and Recreation--New River State Park, Directions (http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/neri/directions.html - broken link)

Of the three primitive camping areas one is only accessible by canoe. The other two are accessible by canoe or by parking and walking in. The parking area is locked at night by a ranger so you will be safe, as well as your vehicle at the 221 Access site.

You literally camp right next to the New River, which flows swiftly and makes beautiful water noises. The river is really only suitable for canoes so you won't hear any motorized boats. All the sites are very nice, flat and well shaded. There is a bathhouse! This was a total shock to me in such a primitive location, but very nice I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

I copied and pasted the directions to this area below:

US 221 Access Area
The US 221 Access Area, at river mile 15, is located eight miles northeast of Jefferson off US 221. From the park office, go back to Wagoner Baptist Church, turn right onto NC 88 west, traveling to US 221/16 north. Turn right onto US 221/16 north and go approximately 4.7 miles to the Tom Fowler Road. Turn right and go to the stop sign (1.3 miles). Turn left onto US 221. Park entrance is 2.6 miles. Right turn into the park

Old 08-03-2007, 05:44 PM

A reserved campsite is fine, designated solely for primitive campers in tents. We just camped up in northern Michigan at a beautiful campsite called Interlochen. Its primitive campsites were separated from the RV campsites. They were actually located on an entirely different lake. It had reserved campsites that we registered for in the front office, but it was deep in the woods. I'm looking for a similar thing in VA. Does this exist at the State Parks here? Or even private campgrounds?

Old 08-03-2007, 05:47 PM

Oh, lovesmountains,
I just saw your post after I already posted. Sorry about that! I'll definitely check into the website you listed. It sounds beautiful. Is swimming allowed at the campsite?

Old 08-03-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
A reserved campsite is fine, designated solely for primitive campers in tents. We just camped up in northern Michigan at a beautiful campsite called Interlochen. Its primitive campsites were separated from the RV campsites. They were actually located on an entirely different lake. It had reserved campsites that we registered for in the front office, but it was deep in the woods. I'm looking for a similar thing in VA. Does this exist at the State Parks here? Or even private campgrounds?
You will find many wonderful places to camp in VA - Grayson Highlands as mentioned above is amazing. There is a "campground" there, but you don't want to camp there - it is too small and sites are too close together, including RV's. The good news is there are beautiful spots for primitive camping - you basically start hiking in and find your own place. It is the highest elevation in Virginia which contributes to it being very different in its topography and terrain - more like something out west than what you usually see in the east.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Oh, lovesmountains,
I just saw your post after I already posted. Sorry about that! I'll definitely check into the website you listed. It sounds beautiful. Is swimming allowed at the campsite?
Since it is primitive there is no one there to stop you! I think you just have to keep in mind that it does have a current and plan accordingly. Some people who have white water rafted on the New River in West Virginia, or even in Virginia would probably not recognize the river there in NC. This is because it begins in NC and is very narrow and small compared to what it becomes after it crosses into Virginia. It is truly beautiful at that primitive campsite - I cannot wait to go back.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:21 PM

285 posts, read 1,039,737 times
Yes, definitely check out Grayson Highlands State Park. I live in Chapel Hill, NC, and we actually prefer that area of VA over the nearby mountains in NC. Enjoy the wild ponies!

On the backside of Grayson Highlands is the primitive Mount Rogers National Recreation Area. I believe that primitive camping is allowed in many areas of the Recreation Area. It's gorgeous up there!

Old 08-03-2007, 06:26 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,257 times
Default Primitive Camping

I've got the place for you!!
Its called NorthCreek Campground. Its a primitive campground north of Buchanan, VA. Take I-81 n of Roanoke to Buchanan, get off I-81 at the Watstull Inn(a motel on top of a giant hill, gas station across road). Take this road about 10 miles in some spectacular rural scenery, with waterfalls, unique limestone rock formations in a very desolate area. You will eventually see a sign called George Washington/Jefferson National Forest, turn left go up a road about 2 miles you will see the campground on the right. Walkiing trails are spectacular, hunters love to camp there in season. We saw black bear on one occasion(they didn't bother us). If you like something much less rugged go to Jellystone Campground where more families go. Its close to NorthCreek but it has more amenities. Good Luck!!

Old 08-05-2007, 06:35 AM

168 posts, read 840,813 times
Well....this may be too obvious,....but why dont you get some maps, and find a lake or stream in either the Jefferson Natl forest, the George Washington Natl forest or in the middle of the Shenandoah Natl park,....then hike your way in and camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia