Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 35,446 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my family and I could use some advice. We are looking to purchase ~300 acres of land, either in the mountains, or with a mountain view, preferably in a small town setting. We would like to retire and just enjoy the peace and quiet. We will have our 3 children with us (ages 9-14), so quality education is a must have. Also, my wife has some medical concerns, so we would need to be close enough to quality medical care. I know that's asking a lot from a small town, but within an hour would be good too. Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 11:09 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,767,533 times
The small town of Abingdon is small, quaint, has mountain views, has a good hospital and is also close to Bristol which also has a hospital, and also has good schools. I own 10 acres 20 minutes from Abingdon and have fallen in love with the entire area. I was just up there last week and saw several large tracts of property for sale. I have dealt with a wonderful real estate husband-wife team (Blythe and Rob Spease) with Remax who you might call to help you find land. They just helped my brother find some up there.
Best of luck with your search!

Old 08-05-2007, 08:08 PM

9 posts, read 41,583 times
I recommend Lexington in Rockbridge County, Virginia. With two colleges located within the town (Washington & Lee University and Virginia Military Institute), Lexington has a lot to offer despite its size (pop. ~7000). There is a small hospital in Lexington, and larger hospitals are located in Roanoke and Charlottesville. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2007, 02:42 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,465,284 times
Abingdon would be my choice as well.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:54 AM

7 posts, read 28,536 times
Lebanon Virginia, is smaller though than Abingdon, it's more "rural", which just equals out to more mountains, land, and it's within 10 minutes from Abingdon (depending where you are in Abingdon of course), it's also less that 1 hour drive to Johnson City Medical Center (in Johnson City, TN), and Wellmont in Bristol. Also, Russell County Medical Center is in Lebanon, and then there is Richlands,(or in between...Lebanon and Richlands, Cedar Bluff), with lots and lots of beautiful land. I hope this helps.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:23 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,151,634 times
You know, I am not that familiar with western Orange county, but I recently drove from Spotsylvania County to Danville using the backroads - was on Route 20 quite a bit and from there I can't remember - maybe 29?? Anyway, the scenery was phenomonal, the roads were mostly 4 lanes, and you would be very close to the medical facilities in Charlottesville. Somebody else may be able to pipe in with what else would be available on that route. Good luck!

Old 01-16-2008, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,287 times
My personal choice would be the area around Lebanon VA. Southern Russell County is truly beautiful and yet close to everything important. The "Hansonville" area is just off Hwy 19 and you're 10-15 minutes to Abingdon, 35-40 to Bristol, VA/TN and about an hour to Johnson City TN & Kingsport TN. Most importantly (to me) the people are nice, a little laid-back, no congestion and schools are of excellent quality. We made the move here from NJ about a year ago. We looked at all the surrounding areas and settled on the Lebanon area for the above reason.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:56 PM

27 posts, read 111,386 times
Charlottesville and vicinity is an AWESOME option. Check Albemarle County for land as large as you mentioned. I also know some retirees who bought that much land in Orange County. Also check Nelson County (Afton Mountain), Ruckersville (Shenandoah National Park)
Charlottesville has EXCELLENT medical facilities thanks to UVA (University of Virginia) and Martha Jefferson.

Charlottesville got Best Place to Live from Money Magazine in 2004. Land is still affordable if you are not in the city but in the surrounding county (if you want that much land you would have to be in the county anyway). BEautiful mountain views even from some parts in the city.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:36 PM

96 posts, read 385,950 times
small town - I would have to go with Lexington as well...others than come to mind: Luray, Abingdon, Radford, Galax...good luck...

Old 01-31-2008, 09:06 PM

74 posts, read 231,255 times
How about Berryville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia