Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 9,639 times

Advertisements

My wife and were born and raised in Texas. I moved to California in 1990. My wife moved out in 2002, and we were married in 2004. Now that we're married, and are starting to think about having children, we want a slower pace of life. We miss four seasons, Cali is very boring as far as weather goes. Not to mention, overcrowded! I work for a large company that would allow me the opportunity of transferring, but I am stuck. There are a few locations in Virginia...have been looking really hard @ Chester. Other locations are Manassas, Richmond, Culpeper, Pulaski, Portsmouth, Williamsburg, and Waynsboro. We love the country, but would like to be close to a city. Also love, love, love the mountains. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 05:16 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,469 times
I would suggest Waynesboro or Pulaski if you love the mountains. Definitely four seasons, definitely slower paced. Get packing and good luck.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:37 AM

12 posts, read 80,435 times
I think Williamsburg would be nice for you, but not too close to the mountains. It has the country feel, but everything you need is there and it is about halfway between Richmond and Norfolk. Great place to raise kids! Portsmouth is not. It even has a theme park there.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:33 AM

190 posts, read 844,221 times
We should trade...

here is my thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...alifornia.html

Old 08-07-2007, 12:47 PM

59 posts, read 469,417 times
Default Texas

Hello, You may want to check out Suffolk, and Williamsburg. Remember this, no matter what city you live in, Portsmouth, Norfolk, Va beach, Chesapeake, you are never too far away from something to do. The cites that are further from "city" locations are, Poquoson, Yorktown, Williamsburg, these cities are at least 45 to an hour from Virginia Beach. I use that as a mark because it is a very popular family location here. Actually Atlantic Ave at the beach has everything for your family, horsebackriding, fishing, bike riding, movies, seafood, and of coarse the beach. Chesapeake and Virginia Beach alos have the best schools in the area. They have won several awards for thier educational programs. Hope this helps !

Good Luck!

Old 08-19-2007, 07:26 AM

59 posts, read 397,338 times
If you want to live near the mountains, come to Winchester! It's a great place to live and raise children. We have excellent schools here.

If you want to get away from crowds, you may not want to live in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area. I've been looking there, have been there and have friends there but sometimes the traffic is as bad as the Northern Virginia area. The schools there are excellent, though, and there are probably better job opportunities there.

Here at the top of the state the weather can be very cold in the winters as it is in southwest Virginia for cities like Roanoke and Blacksburg. The areas closer to the beach don't have the drastic cold and snow that we sometimes get.

This fall would be a great time to visit Virginia and check out the areas you mentioned as well as my city of Winchester. Life here is slower paced than life in the larger cities, but it's still a nice place to live. It would be a really good idea to read as much as possible about the areas where you want to live but an even better idea to come here to check it out first. A move from CA to VA is a very long move only to find you don't like it.

Best of luck with your search!

Old 08-20-2007, 05:15 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,139 times
Northern Va offers alot but the traffice is so heavy and the cost of living is outragous. I tend to love anywhere in the SHenandoah Valley region, it is so centerally located near everything but with a slower pace. Check out Lexington Va, Roanoke county, Waynesboro, Stuarts Draft. I have posted about Lexington.
Good Luck

Old 08-02-2013, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,184 times
I'm from Puerto Rico and i want to move to virginia, my income it's not big but decent and i would like to know where to find cheap apartments just to start and then we can look for another place, adventure it's my last name... Oh i got a boy 15 years old and a girl with 13 so i need to know about schools there...

Old 08-02-2013, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,184 times
I'm from Puerto Rico and i want to move to virginia, my income it's not big but decent and i would like to know where to find cheap apartments just to start and then we can look for another place, adventure it's my last name... like i said before i have two kids my son is 15 and my baby daughter 13 and Mary Jane my baby it's a small chihuhua and she's good but it's part of this family...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia