Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 28,702 times

Advertisements

Today at work from a co-worker I heard that the town on TV's The Family Guy though called "Quahog, Rhode Island" is really based on Winchester.

OK for me thats hard to believe BUT through searches I did find some interesting things between Winchester and the Griffins.

*The high school on The Family Guy is called "James Woods" ( Yes the actor )..BUT the Winchester area has a real life high school called James Wood. One of their graduates in 1987 was country music songwriter Thom Shepherd...about 10 years ago I can remember hearing on the old Q102 Jenny Lynn show one of his supporters was a young cartoonist named Seth MacFarlane who of course today is the creator of The Family Guy. Then again Jenny wasn't the most credable of local announcers.

*The mayor of Quahog is Adam West..West is a former grand marshall for Apple Bloosom and of course had in the past attened events there ( source: www.thebloom.com )

*Local radio station WRNR-AM 740 their long time morning guy was TOM TUCKER. Same name as the TV anchor on Quahog's channel 5. www.dcrtv.com has some info on the local Tom Tucker.

For the record for some reason I seem to recal many years ago a local dj in the Winchester area having the name of "Quagmire" on the old Fox 99 FM ( though it could had been WKMZ ). Of course Quagmire is the name of a character on the show.

..any despite all of this, i just have a hard time believe that these connections are nothing more than a coincidence.

Of course for "legal" reasons I doubt MacFarlane and company will ever admit any connections between Winchester and The Family Guy......but still..Hmmmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 12:42 PM

894 posts, read 2,314,512 times
I saw a show or something discussing Family Guy, and the impression I got is that it's pretty much a carbon copy of Providence, RI. Even the cityscape in the show is based on Providence.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:57 PM

523 posts, read 654,454 times
Not sure how accurate it is, but scroll down to 'Possible real-world locations'

Quahog, Rhode Island - Family Guy Wiki

Old 08-03-2011, 03:52 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetsisk View Post
Today at work from a co-worker I heard that the town on TV's The Family Guy though called "Quahog, Rhode Island" is really based on Winchester.

OK for me thats hard to believe BUT through searches I did find some interesting things between Winchester and the Griffins.

*The high school on The Family Guy is called "James Woods" ( Yes the actor )..BUT the Winchester area has a real life high school called James Wood. One of their graduates in 1987 was country music songwriter Thom Shepherd...about 10 years ago I can remember hearing on the old Q102 Jenny Lynn show one of his supporters was a young cartoonist named Seth MacFarlane who of course today is the creator of The Family Guy. Then again Jenny wasn't the most credable of local announcers.

*The mayor of Quahog is Adam West..West is a former grand marshall for Apple Bloosom and of course had in the past attened events there ( source: www.thebloom.com )

*Local radio station WRNR-AM 740 their long time morning guy was TOM TUCKER. Same name as the TV anchor on Quahog's channel 5. www.dcrtv.com has some info on the local Tom Tucker.

For the record for some reason I seem to recal many years ago a local dj in the Winchester area having the name of "Quagmire" on the old Fox 99 FM ( though it could had been WKMZ ). Of course Quagmire is the name of a character on the show.

..any despite all of this, i just have a hard time believe that these connections are nothing more than a coincidence.

Of course for "legal" reasons I doubt MacFarlane and company will ever admit any connections between Winchester and The Family Guy......but still..Hmmmmmm
Big Family Guy fan here. Sorry I can't see any towns in VA resembling Quahog, RI.

Now the Cleveland Show and American Dad totally different. The Cleveland Show's Stoolbend, VA is very much like a Southern VA town like Bristol, Martinsville, or Farmville. American Dad's Langley Falls, VA anyone who has lived in Virginia awhile can see it fits McLean/Vienna/Northern VA to a T (which is why I like it least out of Seth's shows.)

Old 09-22-2011, 06:01 AM

24,394 posts, read 23,050,809 times
They make fun of the Mets( who doesn't) so that seems to point more towards a new england setting. The Cleveland Show is so bad who cares what they base it on. American Dad is very DC/ Virginia based, naturally.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 11,730 times
American Dad is a no brainer; the CIA is in Langley, VA. near Falls Church and Great Falls.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:58 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
I have never thought about Virginia while watching "Family Guy". Who knows where the inspiration came from, but it's clear the family lives in New England, from the accents, the places they travel to, the town itself, the story of its colonial founder, etc. I'm still chuckling from watching one of my DVDs the other day when they go to NYC but Brian demurs, saying, "New York, it's like Prague without the whimsy".

Old 11-22-2013, 01:17 PM

687 posts, read 1,376,886 times
Seth MacFarlane, the creator of Family Guy, went to college in Providence, Rhode Island.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 8,197 times
I live 15 mins from Providence, just over the MA state line, and everything in Family Guy is Rhode Island/Southeastern MA based and related.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,885 times
The reason there are so many Va. connections (mainly with only AD & TCS .....and good call on whoever compared stoolbend to SW Va. btw lol)is because Mike Henry(from the show ,who also writes and a washington & lee grad) is a Richmond native, his brother Patrick ...went to college with Seth. Family Guy is definitely based on R.I....no doubt there.All the pats stuff, the clam, the accents...all NE for sure.Not to say some character names and the like may not have had influence, but who knows, the only thing for sure is that it’s 100% R.I.!!
Derek in Va.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia