Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:53 AM

5 posts, read 9,336 times

Advertisements

I am looking in Winchester and stephens City and they both have a lot of creepy sex offenders! I live outside of Chicago, in a town with 150,000 and we don't have as many as these towns. I have small children and this concerns me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,227,065 times
Momleo4, you've likely got just as many creepy sex offenders in your current neighborhood; you just don't know who they are and where they live.

This is tied into compliance with the federal law that goes by the acronym SORNA. This is a recent document that shows the SORNA implementation status by state. Virginia is further along in this process than Illinois.

http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/...um02152011.pdf

Old 08-17-2011, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 10,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momleo4 View Post
I am looking in Winchester and stephens City and they both have a lot of creepy sex offenders! I live outside of Chicago, in a town with 150,000 and we don't have as many as these towns. I have small children and this concerns me!

I really wanted to move to VA so bad because of the history and beauty of the state but I can't get past all the sex offenders either. Definitely very concerning.....

Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 PM

894 posts, read 2,317,848 times
Have you been listening to TN Lily? Just because a website, or state(VA) is better at listing sex offenders than the one you came from does not mean that there are any less in the place you came from. To believe that a state line is going to bar a sex offender from residing there or not is ridiculous. There are as many sex offenders in all 50 states as in VA percentage wise. The only discrepancy is how well the state in question updates the websites. You need to step back into the real world, and stop living by what you read on a computer screen. The internet is breeding a populace of naive paranoid people.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:31 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,227,065 times
Shadowbat, AMEN & thank you!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:45 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,598,659 times
I lived across the hall from a violent sex offender back in NY; not a big deal. Just gotta watch them, like you would anyone really.

As far as sex offenders in the neighborhood, trust me, everyone in the neighborhood knows about them and is watching them very carefully. They are very unlikely to get away with anything....plus as previously mentioned most offenders know their victims, the grabbed off the street scenario gets the most attention but is the rarest.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:15 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,098,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
As far as sex offenders in the neighborhood, trust me, everyone in the neighborhood knows about them and is watching them very carefully. They are very unlikely to get away with anything...
I agree with this. We just moved to Winchester, VA (one of the aforementioned towns) and people in our neighborhood are always watching what happens. If there was a sex offender on our block, we would know it -- and would definitely be on the look-out of the nasty bastard.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:40 PM

419 posts, read 903,631 times
The folks at the Va. Dept. of Corrections IT and reporting group are ahead of most states in keeping the offenders records current and in compliance with federal and state regulations and laws.
They provide more data accurately and this may give the appearance of greater numbers of offenders. The reality is that they provide greater visibility and that is better than not showing the information.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:41 PM

419 posts, read 903,631 times
Also I worry more about the sex offenders who are not creepy. They are much more effective and dangerous.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 6,480 times
They mostly come From D.C, where they are used to screwing the whole nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia