Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:30 PM

894 posts, read 2,324,302 times

Advertisements

If you're a history buff, while in Richmond you should check out St. John's church. It's where Patrick Henry gave his "Liberty or Death" speech. And in the same general vicinity is the Edgar Allan Poe museum. It's really small, but it's cheap and highlights the career of the author while he lived in Richmond.

Also, if you get a chance, swing over to Charlottesville and check out Monticello. Thomas Jefferson's house. It was the building on the back of older nickels. And the UVA campus is beautiful if you want to stroll around.

As far as history is concerned, you will be overwhelmed in VA. Have a great trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 06:54 PM

2,077 posts, read 3,450,570 times
Be sure to check the amusement park's schedule for September if it a weekday. Some of them may go to weekends only after school starts but I don't know. Your time is tight, others are right about your first day as getting out of the DC area, plus stoppimg at Mt. Vernon will take more time than you think. Lexington and Charlottesville are wonderful historic towns full of history but they are the opposite direction from what you are proposing. May want to think about Annapolis instead of Baltimore. Baltimore is great but it's the time factor. Annapolis is a neat town with the Naval Academy and a lot of its own history. Have fun!

Old 08-11-2011, 10:38 PM

363 posts, read 1,124,362 times
Default Thanks for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
DC Museums etc --> Richmond --> Charlottesville (Jefferson/Monticello)

Just past Charlottesville pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Poke around some.
We were in North Carolina and Tennessee a couple of years ago and toured the Blue Ridge Parkway, Asheville and Great Smoky Mountains NP. That why we thought we might go eastward on this trip. Otherwise Charlottesville, Montecello, the Shenandoah Valley and Harpers Ferry/Antietam were on the list. Thanks for your response though!

Old 08-11-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
If you're a history buff, while in Richmond you should check out St. John's church. It's where Patrick Henry gave his "Liberty or Death" speech. And in the same general vicinity is the Edgar Allan Poe museum. It's really small, but it's cheap and highlights the career of the author while he lived in Richmond.

Also, if you get a chance, swing over to Charlottesville and check out Monticello. Thomas Jefferson's house. It was the building on the back of older nickels. And the UVA campus is beautiful if you want to stroll around.

As far as history is concerned, you will be overwhelmed in VA. Have a great trip!
As more comments are coming in I'm thinking I've overbooked Day 1-and perhaps the whole road trip. Don't want to return to work to "relax"!

I never knew Poe lived there; knew only of his Baltimore ties. I thought Henry's famous line was uttered at the House of Burgesses. Sounds as though Richmond may be worthy of more than just an overnight stay.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 PM

Default Great Advice-Amusement Parks are Closed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Be sure to check the amusement park's schedule for September if it a weekday. Some of them may go to weekends only after school starts but I don't know. Your time is tight, others are right about your first day as getting out of the DC area, plus stoppimg at Mt. Vernon will take more time than you think. Lexington and Charlottesville are wonderful historic towns full of history but they are the opposite direction from what you are proposing. May want to think about Annapolis instead of Baltimore. Baltimore is great but it's the time factor. Annapolis is a neat town with the Naval Academy and a lot of its own history. Have fun!
You are right-turns out both Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens are closed during the week we'll be in VA. Thank you so much!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:54 AM

144 posts, read 420,753 times
I agree, forego KD for BG. KD is filled with long lines and gangs of teens w/o their parents not teen gangs. I can believe the coasters are better but thrill level could be your wife's part of the compromise. I am not sure where Mt V. is but there and exploring Richmond would be a great Tuesday for you. Wednesday, you'll take I-64 to VB which is an easy drive and BG / Colonial Wmsbrg are along the way so stopping won't put you out.

In VB, I recommend The Raven restaurant for crab cakes. There is a Timbuktu Restaurant there but I have only been to the Baltimore location and I simply love their crab cakes. Check for oceanfront (must have) hotels between 11th and 20th streets along Atlantic Ave which is where everything is in decent walking distance along the strip and boardwalk.

I've been to downtown Annapolis and there are many novelty/souvenir type stores there and a few cool dining spots. The treat is that you'll see the naval academy students in uniform all over the area. If you go to the Baltimore area, Timbuktu Restaurant ini Hanover, MD has great crab cakes. I have not explored Delaware so I can't help you there but it sounds like a fun addition.

Some pointers:
1. There is a bridge in the VB area (Rt. 13 I think) that leads to Delaware.

2. The Bay Bridge is long and high. From the B'more area you can get to Delaware.

3. Mind your speed in MD and VA and no cellphone usage in MD at all.

4. Have money for tolls or check to see if the rental car has an EZ Pass and whether it's a good deal for your trip.

Enjoy!!!

Old 08-14-2011, 06:57 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,118,106 times
If you like military history, you should consider (click here) National Museum of the Marine Corps It's rather new, free of charge, and very easy to find beside I-95.

Your wife on the other hand might like the bohemian http://www.carytown.com http://carytownva.org in Richmond.

http://www.bgw.com was voted the prettiest theme park in the USA by the national association of theme parks. Each section represents the food, costumes, souvenirs, architecture, and entertainment of a different country/ culture. The thrill rides are similarly named after features of each country.

Colonial Williamsburg Official History Site is arguably the best reconstructed historical site of its kind in the world. You should spend a full day to make your ticket worthwhile. You can also walk around without buying a ticket, but need tickets to enter all the colonial buildings and craft shops, or ride the shuttle.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:10 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,101,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki75 View Post
I agree, forego KD for BG. KD is filled with long lines and gangs of teens w/o their parents not teen gangs. I can believe the coasters are better but thrill level could be your wife's part of the compromise. I am not sure where Mt V. is but there and exploring Richmond would be a great Tuesday for you. Wednesday, you'll take I-64 to VB which is an easy drive and BG / Colonial Wmsbrg are along the way so stopping won't put you out.

In VB, I recommend The Raven restaurant for crab cakes. There is a Timbuktu Restaurant there but I have only been to the Baltimore location and I simply love their crab cakes. Check for oceanfront (must have) hotels between 11th and 20th streets along Atlantic Ave which is where everything is in decent walking distance along the strip and boardwalk.

I've been to downtown Annapolis and there are many novelty/souvenir type stores there and a few cool dining spots. The treat is that you'll see the naval academy students in uniform all over the area. If you go to the Baltimore area, Timbuktu Restaurant ini Hanover, MD has great crab cakes. I have not explored Delaware so I can't help you there but it sounds like a fun addition.

Some pointers:

2. The Bay Bridge is long and high. From the B'more area you can get to Delaware.

4. Have money for tolls or check to see if the rental car has an EZ Pass and whether it's a good deal for your trip.

Enjoy!!!
Jaybee, here's a LINK to some more info on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel that Nikki mentioned in points 1 and 2. Toll is $12 but I'm sure you'll see that on the website.

Have a great trip!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 AM

Default Great Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki75 View Post

Some pointers:

Enjoy!!!
Nikki75,
Thank you for the response. I've since discovered that neither amusement park will be open when we're touring (weekdays), so that's off the table. So, Tuesday's schedule now is less hectic. We'll visit Mt. Vernon, just below Alexandria and then head south. Might stop briefly at Fredricksburg, but otherwise proceed south to Richmond. That should put us there early enough to do some sightseeing before meeting with my friend from Petersburg for dinner. Next day we will go to Williamsburg for a few hours, then on to VB. Thanks for "Raven" or "Timbucktu" restaurant tips and the best motel area.

Thanks again for your response-it's really helpful and appreciated.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:46 AM

Default Thabk you

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Jaybee, here's a LINK to some more info on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel that Nikki mentioned in points 1 and 2. Toll is $12 but I'm sure you'll see that on the website.

Have a great trip!
Thanks LilyLady. The bridge/tunnel looks very interesting. I'm thinking I'll have my wife drive, since I have some problems driving in tunnels! But it'll be fun to stop at the "mid-bridge" restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia