Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2006, 11:20 AM

167 posts, read 971,400 times

Advertisements

Hello:

Just read that Williamsburg made the top 7 in Best Places to Retire...Average home price it said is $305,000. In doing research, it appears you have to spend at least that or more to get anything half way decent. Is the area a "hot market" or "buyers market". This will definitely draw alot of attention to the area making the top 10 list...Have been there and fell in love w/it after living in Norfolk for 10 years..Appears to have a lot of new building taking place...would like to live in close proximity to shopping, restaurants etc..any feedback on the areas where it won't rob the bank...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 06:59 PM

291 posts, read 1,360,696 times
Default Well...

YOU do not have to spend 300 grand to get an decent home. There are many nice homes that are under 200k, they are small and some out in the country areas, and are not in gated communities, but they are here and there scattered about. It really depends on what you value...I live in the fringe ends of Williamsburg, in the Grove area and its not upscale but its no dump as some claim it to be, It is simply country living close to Yorktown, the beach, the mall, Yorktown and it has an williamsburg addy so you can get into all the historic places for a small fee or even free! It really is nice location and I lived in the gated community on the other side that is considered the nice area, what a laugh, I seen more crime in the apt complex that I spent 1400 a month to live in than I do for my monthly mortage over here! Crime is everyone, even in ALL parts of Williamsburg. I believe this side gets a bad rap cause its more diverse than other parts, and that is really not fair or correct at all.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:09 PM

167 posts, read 971,400 times
Thanks for the response Williamsburg...That is great to hear you don't have to end up in the poor house just to have a roof over your head. If and when we sell our current home, it would be wise to just rent and check out all the areas and try to get something affordable, even if it isn't in Willliamsburg proper. Our son and his wife reside in Norfolk. We use to live there for 10 years from 1988 to 1998 and man, housing has escalated there, of course, it has been 8 years and inflation etc. but would be nice to be closer to them for when they start having little bambino's....IF I have any more questions regarding WLMSB, I know who to write....

Old 09-19-2006, 04:08 PM

291 posts, read 1,360,696 times
Default The market has cooled...

I think now if you can get a first time buyer rate, it might be a good time to buy, as many homes are not selling as they were for years. It is always wise to rent and look for awhile, to research things and find something that you can live with. Funny thing is that is all really relative, what is a slummy area to some, is paradise, so it all really depends on things and your experiences, most of us in the real world and who work for a living can't afford a home that is 500 thousand dollars or even 300, some of us work hard and have limitted income and just cause our home is not in the prime area, does not mean its a slum...I hope I had helped you, that is my goal on here, to simply help people bout my area! Take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia