Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 07:02 AM

61 posts, read 137,378 times

Advertisements

Seriously considering a move to williamsburg next year. Have done a lot of research on housing, etc. I notice that many communities in and around Williamsburg have Homeowner Associations.

Does anyone have any idea how these things work? Are they as restrictive as condos on rules, etc. I live in a condo now in N.Y. and can't stand a lot of the restrictions, as many make no sense. For example, I wanted to cut down a tree in front of my unit for many valid reasons and even offered to pay for it! The condo wouldn't let me (it's on condo property). Do HOA restrictions go this far?

Thanks for the help.

denny

Old 10-02-2006, 09:18 AM

61 posts, read 94,456 times
Default Sprint and Verizon EVDO coverage in Williamsburg

I am wondering if anyone knows how well and in what areas Sprint or Verizon's EVDO/broadband coverage works in Williamsburg, what parts, and what parts might be dead. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:42 PM

143 posts, read 758,484 times
Default New Town gets two thumbs up!

I just got back from a weekend in Williamsburg and I have to say I'm really impressed with New Town. My family and I went to the new movie theatres Saturday night and had a great time. There are a lot of nice restaurants with outdoor seating already open and a plethora of new stores under construction.

In fact, in terms of development, there seems to be a lot of positive things happening in Williamsburg and the surrounding areas.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:20 AM

291 posts, read 1,361,614 times
If you do not like HOA's then do not live in one. I am a new board member on my HOA committee and I have to hand it to those guys, when other communitities around here were falling apart, they kept it nice and this plan is very very safe considering where its located.

When homes are kept up and everyone has to do this and be willing to give and take here, then your home values and safety issues are not in question or compromised. If you hate HOA's then live where they do not exist.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:22 AM

Default Williamsburg, VA has been voted in the top five place to retire!

However, some critics believe its being "too built up" to work out, what you all think of that?

Old 10-03-2006, 07:35 AM

61 posts, read 137,378 times
I didn't say I hated HOAs. I'm just trying to get information as to how they work.

denny

Old 10-03-2006, 08:11 AM

Default Ok...

Well I can give you some info on my own experiences. Trees should only be cut down if they cause a problem or are old and dying, as they add value to your home, if its on your property then that is a different story but as long as it is on common ground, then the hoa must do what is in the best interest as the community as a whole

Old 10-03-2006, 08:14 AM

Default And...

if you lived in one, then you should know how they operate? They are pretty much the same everywhere, some are not fair and some are harsh without good reasons (that is true) but most in my opinion have a job to do and when people do not pay their dues and let it go to collections, then it hurts the rest of us with increased fees etc...So when you live in a HOA you have to go with the flow and do your part for what is right and honorable.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:22 AM

Many neighborhoods do have HOAs. Some newer neighborhoods are more restrictive, limiting you to approved paint colors, only brick/wood and no vinyl, all mailboxes have to be on certain side of driveway and look exactly the same, etc. The only way to tell is to read the bylaws, which your realtor should be able to get you, before making offers on homes. I'm not 100% sure, but my mother lives in a very restrictive neighborhood and had no problem cutting down a tree in the front yard.

Also, if you want to cut it down, for any reason- it should be your right. In a neighborhood with single family homes, you have your yard and you can as you please with it. Just read the rules first. Also, any HOA that says you are not allowed a satellite dish (like from Dish Network or DirecTV) are in violation of FCC law and even if you sign the HOA rules, such a rule is illegal and unenforcable. Just advising you because I used to work in a related field, and HOAs try to outlaw dishes, or limit the number of them. As long as it's a certain size (all Dish and Direct dishes are the correct sizes) you have a right to satellite dish.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:32 AM

I agree kcrossley, although... although I actually drove past New Town last night, on Monticello heading towards Richmond Road. At that traffic light of Monticello and Iron bound, there was a mile backup of cars on Monticello heading in the direction of New Town. Literally, as we drove by going the other direction, the cars were stopped a mile back up to where the hospital used to be. As I stated before, traffic and parking at New Town would be my big conerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia