Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 01:23 PM

167 posts, read 876,872 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Well my husband is in the coast guard and we will be moving next year. Some of the places that we would like to go are TX or SC, but from what we have been told, these jobs will be filled before my husband is placed in a job. So now we are trying to decide what else is out there. He is considering VA because he is interested in the job there, but there are also billetts available in CA and I am wondering what it would be like to live there also. I have already posted on the CA forum.. I would really like to know more info about VA. I have only been to VA beach, and the beach was pretty nice. Also, we have an almost 4 year old autistic son so Im curious to know what schools are like in VA.. Well, I would appreciate any info. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 02:07 PM

44 posts, read 239,400 times
VA is very conservative, not much going on in VA beach/norfolk, basically a huge naval base. Id second ca

Old 08-23-2007, 07:08 PM

83 posts, read 733,944 times
Jen,

I live in southern California (Temecula), but LOVE Virginia and am hoping to retire there someday. Both states have their pros and cons - what kind of things are important to you? California has the best weather in the country. But if you like four distinct seasons - you won't find it here. You will find a lot of people bashing California on this website - for gangs, pollution, traffic, etc. Don't believe everything you read. It all depends on where you live - California is a huge state and has so much to offer. I will tell you that it is an expensive state to live in - which is why we are looking to move after retirement.

We also own a home in Williamsburg, VA. We like this area for it's scenic beauty (breathtaking!), the history, the seasons, and with the exception of summer, the mild climate. Summers are HUMID. Depending on where you live now, this may not be a concern for you. Housing in Williamsburg is higher than many parts of the country, but there are much more affordable areas in Virginia. There are also more expensive areas - the closer you get to Washington, DC. I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the schools.

Where do you live now?

Old 08-23-2007, 07:36 PM

Jen,

I forgot to mention that Williamsburg is only about 15 or 20 minutes from Yorktown, which has a very nice beach, especially for kids.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:10 PM

Thanks VAlove. Right now I am in FL so would be used to the heat. Do you know much about the chesapeake area or elizabeth city?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:56 PM

No, sorry, I'm not familiar with either of those. Did you try posting on the Hampton Roads forum?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:59 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen78fl View Post
Hi everyone. Well my husband is in the coast guard and we will be moving next year. Some of the places that we would like to go are TX or SC, but from what we have been told, these jobs will be filled before my husband is placed in a job. So now we are trying to decide what else is out there. He is considering VA because he is interested in the job there, but there are also billetts available in CA and I am wondering what it would be like to live there also. I have already posted on the CA forum.. I would really like to know more info about VA. I have only been to VA beach, and the beach was pretty nice. Also, we have an almost 4 year old autistic son so Im curious to know what schools are like in VA.. Well, I would appreciate any info. Thanks all!
I have never been out to California, but its another world over there. I think Virginia has a lot of good choices in Virginia. Richmond is a nice area and has a lot of opportunities. It is not too far from the Beach- just under 2 hours. And coming from Florida, you won't have to worry too much about harsh winters or lots of snow. I would avoid Northern Virginia because its way too expensive and you have to drive everywhere and its just too crowded because of DC pushing its way further and further west.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:23 PM

Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 09-01-2007, 09:16 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
which coastguard base? Where will it be in Va? Maybe we can help you with some of your questions knowing that information. I have worked with a lot of coastguardies. Depending on location, I may tell you some of the area nearby. If it is the portsmouth base, some live in the hunters point area of portsmouth, and some go over to suffolk. It is the Yorktown area, there are some good agents here that really know that area.

shelly

Old 09-01-2007, 12:39 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Virginia. More opportunity, less expensive. VA singer is right stay out of Northern VA turning into another LA quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia