Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:22 AM

7 posts, read 31,369 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I know you've probably all seen this kind of thread numerous times on this board. I've looked at previous similar threads and while helpful I would like some help based on my own particular situation.

I am 21 years old and a student at Virginia tech. My roommate and I made a trip to Virginia beach this past weekend to visit a friend. We took two separate cars as we each had a separate agenda while down there. On I-64E in Goochland my roommate and I were both pulled over for speeding. I was clocked going 93 in a 65 and my roommate was going 84 in a 65. Both tickets were stated as reckless driving and appearance in court is mandatory. I drive a pickup truck and my tires are larger than stock. Based on an error calculator if my speedometer reading was 85mph I would really be going 92.8. When the officer asked me how fast i thought i was going i said 85. Based on that is it something I should look into to get proof of? I know id still be considered reckless but it might help my case. I have no prior tickets or violations on my record whatsoever. I live out of state(Texas) and to be honest this is not something I EVER do. Ive always been extremely cautious and I have more highway driving experience than most people acquire in a lifetime. This honestly was just a case of an honest mistake where i made a bad decision and I admit it was my fault. I am telling you this because I would like an honest opinion on what I'm looking at as far as consequences and any advice you all might be able to give me, especially as far as lawyers go. I support myself so the costs alone could break me and I'm looking to go into a career in federal law enforcement and this could pretty much destroy any opportunity of that happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys. Sorry for the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 01:45 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Hello,

I was just surprised to see that wreckless driving is a class 1 misdemeanor. I hate to say it, but you probably should get advice from a lawyer. You might even have access to one through Virginiia Tech in the form of a free consultation. Ask the school. If not, I would search for a lawyer, as it may be less expensive than paying the ticket, even if it's just plead down to a traffic violation (non-criminal). The court might automatically plea it down anyway, like many courts for speeding, but I wouldn't take that chance. You definitely don't want that on your record for something like speeding!

Good luck!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:41 PM

267 posts, read 1,674,850 times
It doesn't matter if your speedometer was off. 80 is reckless regardless of the speed limit. And, I'm not sure what you mean by "honest mistake". You were speeding, at over 80 mph. An honest mistake might be going 45 in a 35 zone becuase the signs weren't placed properly or something. Over 80 is a conscious decision if you have any experience driving which you say you do. Get a lawyer. Sorry, but you made a stupid decision, not an honest one.

BTW, what is it about Hokies? You're the second one in the last couple of weeks with reckless driving charges.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 PM

7 posts, read 31,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
It doesn't matter if your speedometer was off. 80 is reckless regardless of the speed limit. And, I'm not sure what you mean by "honest mistake". You were speeding, at over 80 mph. An honest mistake might be going 45 in a 35 zone becuase the signs weren't placed properly or something. Over 80 is a conscious decision if you have any experience driving which you say you do. Get a lawyer. Sorry, but you made a stupid decision, not an honest one.

BTW, what is it about Hokies? You're the second one in the last couple of weeks with reckless driving charges.
No offense but you come across as a ********. I said it was an honest mistake because I made a mistake and I'm admitting it. I don't need a lecture on what I did I was simply asking for advice. Yes I have experience driving and where I'm from driving that fast (which i do not normally do) is considered normal and at times necessary if you like to make it home alive.

After examining the ticket I have found two errors. My mailing address is written wrong, which I doubt makes a difference, and my drivers license number is incorrect. When i say incorrect i mean the number isnt even close. The officer wrote down the DPS 11-digit audit number instead of my actual drivers license number. I do not know if this is justifiable for dismissal but I guess worth looking into.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post

You've never sped anywhere? Come on! People speed, and unless this person was ripping through a school zone, you can't give a lecture. Especially since it appears the person was speeding on the highway. Sometimes you're listening to music or are just trying to make good time and you lose track of your speed. It happens.

Let me guess, you've tried marijuana, but haven't inhaled, right?

Old 09-07-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhokie View Post
After examining the ticket I have found two errors. My mailing address is written wrong, which I doubt makes a difference, and my drivers license number is incorrect. When i say incorrect i mean the number isnt even close. The officer wrote down the DPS 11-digit audit number instead of my actual drivers license number. I do not know if this is justifiable for dismissal but I guess worth looking into.
This might get you off the hook. I really would try to get a lawyer consultation. Maybe the cop did it on purpose

Old 09-08-2007, 08:32 AM

116 posts, read 446,619 times
They just passed some crazy new law in Virginia that makes speeding tantamount to a capital offense.

Expect to shell out at least $3,000 in fines and another 5-10 grand in legal fees if you don't want to spend time in jail. Also, you will lose your license for 1 year.

Welcome to Virginia.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:33 AM

116 posts, read 446,619 times
Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket

Honestly, you're lucky you're not in prison.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:06 PM

83 posts, read 418,913 times
Next it is going to be $4000 then $5000... now if they would only triple that for out-of-stater's.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:42 PM

33 posts, read 120,990 times
Wow! I don't mean to depress you, but you're about to get screwed! Virginia takes speeding very seriously. I'm not exactly sure why but they do. Combine this with the fact that radar detectors are illegal here and you realize there's no way of getting around this. You might want to get legal advice. I was born and raised in Illinois and came to Virginia 6 years ago while serving in the military. Back where I'm from people go 80 or 90 on highways like it's nothing. When I go back there to visit, I always get a good laugh thinking about how they'd be spending hundreds of dollars or going to jail in VA. My first and only experience with reckless driving was in Virginia Beach. It was my first and only driving offense in Virginia, and I ended up spending 24 hours in the city jail, paying around $400 in fines and court costs, and having my license suspended for 15 days. I don't know if these procedures are similar throughout the commonwealth. If I remember correctly the maximum jail time is 30 days. If it's your first offense I can't see them throwing the book at you but it's hard to say. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia