Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:58 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,680 times

Advertisements

Waterboy526 - I agree that NOVA has a rich history. The problem lies in the fact that everything is so developed they have covered up most of the history with townhouses! They may never touch the Manassas Battlefield, but I'm sure the developers have tried.

I lived in Centreville for 9 years. So 13 years ago it was developed but somehow in those 9 years they covered almost every space available with TH. When I go back to visit occassionally, I find that they are STILL finding places to stick in a few more TH.

About 6 years ago they were digging to put in a new McDonalds in Centreville. They found graves and Civil War items and had to stop digging. When all of that was uncovered, the McDonalds completed building. I really don't think many people care about the history anymore because there is little left of it except in the history books. The goal is to see how many more people they can cram into an open area. Very sad in my opinion....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 08:19 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,558,628 times
Unfortunitly this is the price of progress. If everything always stayed the same in this country then this country would certainly die a slow death. I'm not saying I'm happy about them putting a McD's over civil war graves (I was a huge CW buff growing up in NoVA). This happens everywhere that is growing and has a good economy, it's not just NoVA. In Raleigh growth is crazy and there is no such thing as zoning or planning it seems. NoVA actually has much better zoning then places like Raleigh or Charlotte. I'd still be there if it wasn't for the cost of living being high. That and the traffic where the only things wrong with it. Most bustling areas with good economy are high cost living areas with traffic.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:55 AM

699 posts, read 2,235,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Why does everyone always have to pick on NoVA? My wifes parents are from Southern VA and they always talked trash about NoVA, but when 80% of their school system (3 schools...1 ES, 1 MC, 1 HS) is funded by the state, where do you think a good chunk of that money comes from? Fairfax and Loudoun county only get 20% of their school funding from the state, where as most of the tax money that comes from Fairfax goes to support the rest of the state. That's a fact people, so before you start bashing NoVA, maybe you need to realize that Virginia would not be what it is today without NoVA. Not to mention all the rich history NoVA has to offer.
Many people dislike NoVA greatly while most people in NoVA just don't care.

It is frustrating though giving the rest of Virginia so much money and get no relief in traffic support or new roads. Even the new transportation package is going to be paid extra by people in NoVA. I believe Hampton Roads is having traffic problems as well too.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:09 PM

33 posts, read 120,950 times
I can't really say that much about Richmond. The only time I've spent there is stopping at gas stations on the way from Newport News to DC! I don't like Northern Virginia at all. While there are some beautiful homes there the people and the places leave a lot to be desired. A lot of foreigners and six figure income people who think they're better than the next guy. My aunt and uncle live in Fairfax County. My aunt was born and raised in Virginia and can't remember the last time she met anyone else who was actually from VA! I don't even ever racall seeing a Waffle House up there, so that gives you an idea of just how completely "un-Southern" it really is. I've lived in Hampton Roads since 2001. I was in the military then so I had no choice of coming here and had no idea whether I would like it or not. I was surprised with how much I liked it here and ended up staying after I left the military. I grew up in Illinois and living by the ocean and having a mild winter was a refreshing change of pace for me to say the least. The people here are cool and friendly. People you don't even know stop and talk to you just to be nice. If you do that in Chicago people think you're a crackhead or a hustler! All that being said, Hampton Roads is the best place in the Commonwealth in my book.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:51 AM

49 posts, read 226,785 times
So we all agree, Hampton Roads is the Best!!!!!

****just kidding******

I just have to boost hampton roads up a bit, because it really gets a bad rap on this board. Sometimes I wonder about the people who are always making negative comments. Its not perfect, but its not that bad either. Hampton Roads is one of the most laid back, inviting, diversified, live and let live places in this country. Anyone can fit in here. Seriously. But like i said earlier it aint perfect. The cities are to divided and competitive, which can sometimes be a good thing, but has hurt us more in the past. But this area is so underrated.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7citiesVA View Post

****just kidding******

I just have to boost hampton roads up a bit, because it really gets a bad rap on this board. Sometimes I wonder about the people who are always making negative comments. Its not perfect, but its not that bad either. Hampton Roads is one of the most laid back, inviting, diversified, live and let live places in this country. Anyone can fit in here. Seriously. But like i said earlier it aint perfect. The cities are to divided and competitive, which can sometimes be a good thing, but has hurt us more in the past. But this area is so underrated.

So you hate it when someone gives HR a bad rap, but you gave NoVA a bad rap as well. You basically started a Neg. thread about NoVA and then you tell people you hate it when HR gets a bad rap?

Old 09-14-2007, 12:17 PM

275 posts, read 870,221 times
Quote:
But like i said earlier it aint perfect. The cities are to divided and competitive, which can sometimes be a good thing, but has hurt us more in the past. But this area is so underrated.
The cities' competitiveness is what's hurting the area. HR is underrated because no one knows what HR is. No one knows because the cities are too busy being, as you said, "divided and competitive". If the cities would put aside their petty differences and OFFICIALLY* become one large metropolitan, they could get on the map.

*Like I said earlier, we think we're a big city, but we have a long ways to go.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:08 PM

49 posts, read 226,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
So you hate it when someone gives HR a bad rap, but you gave NoVA a bad rap as well. You basically started a Neg. thread about NoVA and then you tell people you hate it when HR gets a bad rap?

Im sorry Wateerboy526. I didnt intend to start a Negative thread about NOVA and I really dont even believe this thread has turned into a bash NOVA thread. I was only trying to state my opinions on Each of the metros....And then i wanted to know others opinions on the three largest metros of Virginia.

To me NOVA is always getting praise for its high paying jobs and how much money the area generates, development, etc. Whereas on this forum, you rarely ever hear any comments, let alone any positive ones about Hampton Roads. Its always Richmond this, or NOVA that.

But bottomline, this was not intended to be a NOVA hate thread.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:02 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Im sorry Wateerboy526. I didnt intend to start a Negative thread about NOVA and I really dont even believe this thread has turned into a bash NOVA thread. I was only trying to state my opinions on Each of the metros....And then i wanted to know others opinions on the three largest metros of Virginia.

To me NOVA is always getting praise for its high paying jobs and how much money the area generates, development, etc. Whereas on this forum, you rarely ever hear any comments, let alone any positive ones about Hampton Roads. Its always Richmond this, or NOVA that.

But bottomline, this was not intended to be a NOVA hate thread.
amen. time to praise the 7 cities.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:42 PM

OK then you guys can have this one. I don't really have anything against HR, and hell I moved away from NOVA to Raleigh, even though I'll always have a place in my heart for NOVA since I grew up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia