Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2007, 10:19 AM

27 posts, read 132,555 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move for my husband's career, in the Ft. Eustis area.

I'm looking for info on neighboring towns that won't be too much of a commute.

It seems very expensive compared to where we are now , so now I'm broadening the search. How far is too far?

I've heard to check into Norfolk or Williamsburg, but was distressed to see rentals in the $2,000 a month range... is that normal?

I would prefer a smaller town with good schools over a busy city. We will be renting for a year as we get to know the area, and then plan to buy a home if his career is stable and we enjoy the area.

Help!!!

ooops! I forgot about the sticky:

-Where you are working **** Ft Eustis
-How much you are willing to spend on housing *** We are accustomed to $1,000 to $1,500 rent for a 3/2
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate *** Would prefer less than 30 minutes
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? *** Public, our schools here are my favorite feature and are all A+ award winning schools
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? *** Is there such a thing as small town suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you *** Kid oriented, sports, fishing, parks
-Pie or cake? *** Pie, cherry specifically!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DaytonaMom; 09-17-2007 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 12:18 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,379,886 times
look to the Yorktown,Grafton,or even Gloucester, Williamsburg is nice too.
norfolk would be too much with having to travel the tunnel everyday. plent yof places rent for around $1000.00 a month ask mr williamsburg he knows the area and can give you alot of help .

Old 09-17-2007, 02:14 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,771,805 times
i'd try the tabb area of york county. very small-town feeling, people rave about the school system, lots of kids. $1500 for a 3 bed 2 bath may be a lil hard to fine. we lived in a 3bd/2.5bth in tabb for $1050, but that was in 04 before the real estate market shot up. but if u can find a decent place, i say take it.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:35 AM

5,342 posts, read 4,434,338 times
[quote=DaytonaMom;1515800]We are considering a move for my husband's career, in the Ft. Eustis area.

I'm looking for info on neighboring towns that won't be too much of a commute.

It seems very expensive compared to where we are now , so now I'm broadening the search. How far is too far?

I've heard to check into Norfolk or Williamsburg, but was distressed to see rentals in the $2,000 a month range... is that normal? I agree that Norfolk is too far and too much of a traffic headache for your hubby's commute. Williamsburg is a great community nut, I also agree that rental prices and home prices are high. Now you can extend your search just a little NW of Williamsburg and look into an area called TOANO. Parts of it are about 20 miles from Ft. Eustis and it's nice country. There are good prices out in that area. Oh, and being right outside Williamsburg, there is ALOT to do and see. Sorry can't help with the schools there though. I'm sure you can find info on ALL VA schools here: VDOE :: School Report Card . You can also look into Gloucester Point. GP, I lived there for 14 years, is just around 10 miles from Ft. Eustis. My home was 11 from the gate. It is a great area to raise kids. We moved there when my 2 boys were 1 1/2 and 3 years. The oldest graduated from Gloucester High School in 2004. We then moved to Michigan and my youngest graduated here 2 years later. If you want more FIRST HAND info on Gloucester schools PM me. BTW, I was a teacher in Gloucester for 12 years. I have the scoop!

I would prefer a smaller town with good schools over a busy city. We will be renting for a year as we get to know the area, and then plan to buy a home if his career is stable and we enjoy the area. There are many nice areas that surround Ft. Eustis. Some are city and some are rural. You just need to be more specific in your desires. My hubby was in the Coast Guard so we have lived all up and down the east coast. We are now looking to return to the area and leave Michigan behind. Neither of us was born in the HR area and that's where we would like to return to. That's gotta tell you something! After all we have lived in 10 states!

Help!!! I do hope that I have helped a little.
ginnie

Old 09-19-2007, 07:05 AM

27 posts, read 132,555 times
Thank you so much for the replies! I've been busy looking them up and we're awaitng further info from the prospective employer......

Can anyone offer some insight into living in Ft Eustis?

I've lived in Florida all my life and this is going to be such a culture shock for me! lol I've never even seen snow

I see plenty of water near by and that's a relief..... one of our other options is Phoenix.....

Old 09-19-2007, 01:47 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,771,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaMom View Post
Thank you so much for the replies! I've been busy looking them up and we're awaitng further info from the prospective employer......

Can anyone offer some insight into living in Ft Eustis?

I've lived in Florida all my life and this is going to be such a culture shock for me! lol I've never even seen snow

I see plenty of water near by and that's a relief..... one of our other options is Phoenix.....
209 Dorothy Drive, Yorktown, VA (http://www.militarybyowner.com/listings/tourplus.asp?F_BASE_ID=238&F_STATE=VA&LISTING_ID=4 2160 - broken link)

a house you'd probably consider in YC.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:34 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,980,290 times
As previously mentioned most of York County and most of Williamsburg/ James City County would be within 30 minutes and fit your desires. You might want to check the classifieds of the two area newspapers for homes to rent. Occasionally you will find an owner renting directly for $1500 or less for nice homes in nice areas. It's hard to go wrong with James City County or York County Schools. York Schools are considered slightly better. Try Virginia news from Virginia Gazette, Williamsburg, VA, weather, real estate, jobs, cars -- VAGazette.com or Hampton Roads, Virginia, news, sports, weather, real estate, jobs and cars from the Daily Press -- dailypress.com for rental info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia