Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:06 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,308,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
I heard Maryland was really expensive across the board......hence our interest in Virginia. Truth?
I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,471,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't think so.
Really? I've been researching it, and home prices/property taxes from everything east and south of Hagerstown in Maryland seem MUCH higher than many of the towns in northern VA.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Really? I've been researching it, and home prices/property taxes from everything east and south of Hagerstown in Maryland seem MUCH higher than many of the towns in northern VA.
Don't know why that would be but it is foreign territory for me. Perhaps it's an easier commute in to DC from there for folks with higher incomes.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Don't know why that would be but it is foreign territory for me. Perhaps it's an easier commute in to DC from there for folks with higher incomes.
Again, I've been comparing MD to VA towns such as Winchester, Front Royal, Fredricksburg, etc........the MD side of DC seems to be more densely populated, plus you're close to not only DC, but Baltimore as well, which could possibly drive prices up?

Old 04-28-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Again, I've been comparing MD to VA towns such as Winchester, Front Royal, Fredricksburg, etc........the MD side of DC seems to be more densely populated, plus you're close to not only DC, but Baltimore as well, which could possibly drive prices up?
Well out toward Hagerstown isn't particulalry close to Baltimore. DC is a much bigger job center/income generator anyway.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:21 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,107,660 times
Quote:
Northerner, keep in mind that each town/city has areas that will be higher priced (and taxed higher) than other parts, even within a few blocks. Therefore, you could possibly be comparing a home in a higher-end neighborhood of Hagerstown to a mid- to lower-end neighborhood of Winchester.

For example, in the historic district where I live in Winchester, the west side is the "ritzier" side (with gorgeous 1800s and early 1900s mansions) and a few blocks over could be moderately-priced houses. That same style house found in the "ritzy" neighborhood would be less if it were located on the northern side of town where there are more industrial buildings. Yet, they are all contained within a close proximity to one another. Prices would differ again on the outskirts of Winchester and further out in the rural areas, where more land may be part of the house.

In a place with historic houses, of different age, different styles, and different square footage, the prices of the house will differ with the precise location and the condition of the house.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 AM

382 posts, read 870,543 times
To expand on South Jersey Styx, some cities like Wichester, Leesburg, Manassas are seperate from the counties they are in. They have their own governments and city services which make their taxes on average slighty higher then a "county" residence.

An idea how it works, In the City of Staunton I paid $1,200/yr in taxes for my house, the same size house I have now in the neighboring county is $740/yr.

Where you are in Virginia can make a big difference.

For your trips to DC, anywhere north of the I-64 corridor is an easy day trip to DC in my opinion.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:06 PM

66 posts, read 125,766 times
In regard to the OP, is scenery more important to you or is just being in the "90 minute" window? I rented a house in Round Hill (western Loudoun County) for a year and it was a huge mistake. Sure it's pretty and semi-rural out there, but the lifestyle was just as fast-paced as Fairfax and Arlington. Just to give you an example, the nearby town of Purcellville bulldozed a historic farmhouse and barn just to build an upscale grocery store. People move out to the "country" and then demand a Harris Teeter. This is where Loudoun County is headed. I got tired of the farce and moved back into DC the next year and while I pay more in rent, I save a ton of money on travel expense and have a 30 minute commute time.

In my experience, the outer fringes of the Washington Metro "feel" reaches to the ridge of the Blue Ridge on the Loudoun/ Clarke County line, anywhere between Washington and Richmond on I-95, and to the town of Warrenton on Rt 29. I would recommend looking beyond that point if you don't want to find yourself in a bedroom community full of stressed out commuters.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM

66 posts, read 125,766 times
If scenery is more important, then I would suggest living over in Shenandoah Valley or along the eastern side of the Blue Ridge southwest of Warrenton. Lots of charming small towns there.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustHaveCoffee View Post
In regard to the OP, is scenery more important to you or is just being in the "90 minute" window?
The MOST important factor is housing costs....including home prices and property taxes, which is why we are focusing as far from DC as we can while still being able to get into town fairly quickly whenever we want to. Scenery is a great bonus, but not an absolute requirement. If I could find a nice 4BR home in a good neighborhood for 200K within half an hour of DC I would obviously be very interested in it, but my research indicates that this is a pipe dream at best.......so out to the sticks we go!

A footnote: We are also looking at a handful of other metros, and there is also a chance we may just remain where we are if certain things (job situation) stabilize up here. The DC region is one that I only recently became interested in. Right now, with any potential move still months away at the earliest, all these scenarios are about neck & neck. It's a big decision to move a family to a brand new area, so I am trying to get all the info I can before anything gets rolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia