Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 29,903 times

Advertisements

There are countless threads on VA reckless driving. However, most give advice on what may happen and often cite the maximum $2500 fine and jail time. The less available threads that describe the actual outcome never seem to result in fines approaching that level and seem to rarely involve jail time. With that said, in the interest of helping me and others choose the appropriate action, I was hoping that people with actual experience with a RD charge in VA (start to finish) could briefly state the line of defense they chose and the outcome. (VA traffic lawyers, please do not reply, your opinions are well represented on this forum).

Speed limit/speed you were travelling:

County of charge:

Home state:

Plea (guilty or not-guilty):

Prior driving record:

Did you hire a lawyer?:

If you hired a lawyer, how much did you pay?:

If you did not hire a lawyer, did you appear in court?:

If you did not hire a lawyer or appear in court, did you write a letter to the judge instead?:

What was the outcome (both in fines and convictions or dismissal):

Other considerations worth sharing:

Thank you ever so much in advance for your response. I'm hoping to collect empirical evidence, not opinions.

Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 11:46 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,239,065 times
I don't have an RD conviction to help you with but speaking as a retired 30 year VA police officer I can say with certainty very few people ever come close to the maximum fine allowed for RD and even less go to jail. From my experience the vast majority (75-90%) see their charge reduced. Usually to Improper Driving.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:11 PM

419 posts, read 902,252 times
Speed limit/speed you were traveling: 60/86

County of charge: Nelson

Home state: Virginia

Plea (guilty or not-guilty): Not/no contest/please let me have a lesser charge

Prior driving record: Clean for 20 years

Did you hire a lawyer?: No

If you hired a lawyer, how much did you pay?: N/A

If you did not hire a lawyer, did you appear in court?: yes

If you did not hire a lawyer or appear in court, did you write a letter to the judge instead?: No

What was the outcome (both in fines and convictions or dismissal): Convicted of Reckless Driving and total of 350 in fines costs etc. (loss of one day work = 1000)

Other considerations worth sharing: Judge said if i had been going four more miles an hour i would have been spending the weekend in the nelson county jail and hotel

Old 05-02-2012, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 29,903 times
Thank you Bigfoot424, and gregir for your replies. Hopefully this thread can amass a larger case study than 1. You've both been very helpful.

Todd

Old 05-31-2012, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 22,472 times
Speed limit/speed you were travelling: 78/55

County of charge: VA Beach

Home state: MD

Plea (guilty or not-guilty): No Contest

Prior driving record: Clean for 9 years

If you hired a lawyer, how much did you pay?: NA

If you did not hire a lawyer, did you appear in court?: Yes

If you did not hire a lawyer or appear in court, did you write a letter to the judge instead?: No

What was the outcome (both in fines and convictions or dismissal): Reduced the wreckless to 74/55. Judge waived my fees since I made the trip down from MD....(40 dollars in gas is a lot better than $100-$300 in fines). Had to pay $66 in court fees. I was the luckiest one there for sure.

Dress nice, be honest, and use manners. It goes a long way in the court room. Told the judge I was not aware of my speed, and my clean record (bring a copy from your DMV) was proof of a lapse in common sense.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 AM

67 posts, read 308,272 times
Speed limit/speed you were travelling: 79/55

County of charge: Richmond

Home state: NY

Plea (guilty or not-guilty): I didn't show up to court

Prior driving record: Clean

If you hired a lawyer, how much did you pay?:

If you did not hire a lawyer, did you appear in court?: No

If you did not hire a lawyer or appear in court, did you write a letter to the judge instead?: Yes

What was the outcome (both in fines and convictions or dismissal): $120 ish

I took the advice of some VA trooper online and mailed a letter to the judge with a copy of my clean driving record. It must have been tossed in the garbage because I was convicted of reckless driving anyway. In retrospect I should have hired a lawyer to try to get it reduced as I now have a criminal conviction for BS. The conviction has never been a problem (got hired as a cop myself a few years later).

Old 06-20-2012, 12:38 PM

306 posts, read 689,706 times
Speed limit/speed you were travelling: 83 in a 55

County of charge: Chesterfield

Home state: VA

Plea (guilty or not-guilty): Guilty

Prior driving record: At the time, first ever ticket.

If you hired a lawyer, how much did you pay?: N/A

If you did not hire a lawyer, did you appear in court?: Yes

If you did not hire a lawyer or appear in court, did you write a letter to the judge instead?: Nope

What was the outcome (both in fines and convictions or dismissal): Asked for driving school and it was granted. I took the class and got it reduced to speeding for 19 over. (74 in 55)

Old 07-19-2015, 08:34 AM

14 posts, read 20,522 times
Just go on the court's website and search for all reckless driving cases. You'll see the outcome and the lawyer's name right there if the defendants have a lawyer go with them.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:43 AM

45 posts, read 102,004 times
Speed limit/speed you were travelling:65/84

County of charge:Hanover

Home state:Va

Plea (guilty or not-guilty):

Prior driving record:Clean for few yrs

Did you hire a lawyer?:Yes

If you hired a lawyer, how much did you pay?: 250

If you did not hire a lawyer, did you appear in court?:

If you did not hire a lawyer or appear in court, did you write a letter to the judge instead?:

What was the outcome (both in fines and convictions or dismissal): dismissed with online traffic school

Other considerations worth sharing: Hire a lawyer

Old 12-07-2015, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,143 times
Hi i just got pulled over when i went to virginia have RD 73/45 i'm considering hiring a lawyer but idk how much it will cause me and i live out of state any advices would really help thanks in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia