Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:56 AM

5 posts, read 60,301 times

Advertisements

First let me apologize because I know there are already many reckless driving threads on this forum, but I haven't been able to find a thread the quite answers my specific concern. My personal circumstances leave me very worried right now, and I have a lot to explain and a few parts to this question, so please do bear with me, and I GREATLY appreciate any assistance or advice.

I am a Maryland resident. I was working in VA for one night and was on my way back home at about 2 am when I got pulled over. I was in Virginia on I-95 doing 87mph in a 65 zone. I'm 24, been driving for 7 years, and this is my second speeding ticket. (first was 5 years ago, I was 9mph over the limit in MD)

The officer was "pleasant" and seemed "sympathetically disappointed" saying I was just "slightly too fast." This made me feel like maybe it wasn't a big deal, but I was still expecting a hefty ticket. When I got a court summons instead of a ticket I was very confused-- and I was even more expectant of large fines when I saw the "reckless driving" charge.

I noticed on the ticket that I could simply choose to pay the fine and avoid the court date, and I'd decided to do that until I came online and learned of the newest VA laws. I started browsing simply to find out what an estimated fine might be, but I then became VERY worried:

My specific situation:

• Being a MD driver, honestly, how serious is this charge? I have read many replies saying "only VA residents have to worry as the fines don't apply to out-of-state drivers." But finding out $3500 ticket fines won't apply to me didn't calm me down when I learned that the "reckless" charge can destroy one's record and insurance, etc. So what's the truth? Out-of-state drivers aren't affected? Or the criminal record charges are more detrimental than the fines???
REGARDLESS: Each of my possible options I'm considering seems to have a very negative outcome based on this:

• I am a MD resident who has been living back and forth between here and AZ for almost the past 2 years. My main problem comes from the fact that I already know that I need to be back in AZ on my court date. I have to be. I have a demanding, short-notice-schedule job there (which I nevertheless, love) and if I choose to stay in the DC area to deal with a lawyer and court dates, I will no longer have that job. Thus, I will not have the money to pay for the lawyer and trial fees, etc, anyway. I couldn't try to reschedule the court date, because I never know when I will be able to get off work in the future. (If I'm replaced, I'll be replaced, and I can't imagine losing this job over this)

• Therefore, this is the main reason I figured it's easier to "just pay the fine" and have it all be over with. A reckless driving fine (+ insurance increase) for an out-of-state driver couldn't possibly cost me more than the $1000+ in lawyer fees, the risk of losing my job, time-demands, and the overall risk of still being found "guilty" if I try to "fight" this... right? --I mean, I don't even feel like I deserve to fight it, I know I did something illegal and dangerous, so how could I go in front of a judge and come up with some excuse why it wasn't actually reckless? --Because I think I am a good driver and there were no other cars on the road? I don't need to waste his or her time to say that. --Even going to offer full apologies and swear to never do it again doesn't feel like it would be worth losing my job over. I already know for myself that I'll never do something like that again.

• Anyone have a guess how much this basic ticket might run? 22 over the limit? No other violations?

• Also, am I putting myself in a worse situation to actually call the courthouse and describe my situation and ask about the fine? By asking how much I could pay to avoid court, I wouldn't be committing to waive the trial, would I?

• And just curious, if anyone has experience, how DOES this affect car insurance fees if you're out-of-state? Just as badly as VA? Or not? --And how long can the premium increase last??

As you can see, I'm not about to say "this is absurd!" I understand 22 over the limit is pretty fast. I was indeed in a hurry to get home, but I know I violated a law attempting to do this. This is the main reason I instantly felt like I had to pay a ticket--but after finding that there wasn't even a ticket--I started to worry that this is a much bigger deal than I initially thought. --From all the reading I've been doing, it seems like I would have been better off getting a DUI in terms of what ends up on my record!

I pray that I'm just over-reacting to the initial shock of it, but if I can't go back to AZ in early October just because the attempt to clean my record is truly such a necessity, this is going to throw my life into such a tizzy I don't know what I'm going to do. I already don't have a disposable income, and even a $250 ticket is something I don't want to pay, but I can understand that as being a valid punishment for my crime.

BASICALLY, I just want to know WHAT I SHOULD DO? Do I just waive trial, pay the ticket, and go back to AZ? Or will I regret it? Is it worth possibly losing a job that I love just to get a "reckless driving" charge off of my record? It seems like either way, I made a mistake which is seriously going to destroy something in my life. The way I see it, insurance fees will absolute kill me because of my one time "recklessness," or I'll lose the job and life in AZ that I love because I tried to sort it out while all along I would have been content with admitting my mistake and paying a fine? Even if I get a clean record and second chance, I am positive my life in AZ is going to longer be nonexistent? Is there something I'm missing here? Will someone please tell me I'm over-reacting? What should I do?

Thank you so so so so so much. I'm sure you can see how much of a wreck this has made me.

Last edited by RailAndSky; 09-24-2007 at 04:05 AM.. Reason: general corrections
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 06:00 AM

168 posts, read 840,727 times
You may get advice here for sure.
But In your situation I would talk to a lawyer ASAP, and not be so interested in an internet forum's opinion.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:49 AM

I appreciate the reply.

Basically I just don't know how seriously to take this yet, and that's why I ask. Do you recommend a lawyer solely because I'm confused, or because I'm in deeper than I think?

If I had the money I'd immediately talk to a lawyer, but doing this would set me back and I figured if a forum member has something to offer that I might not have considered yet, I would very much appreciate the help.

Thanks again!

Old 09-25-2007, 07:49 AM

168 posts, read 840,727 times
I would talk to a lawyer,...(and alot of times initial consultations are free) because you are involved with something that may or may not be a big deal.

I would error on the side of safety, too much of a risk for me not to simply talk to a lawyer.

Ask on the forum,...and call around to find a lawyer who will do an free consultation with you, then once you have the facts you can decide what to do best.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:58 AM

Thanks again. I've never been in any sort of situation like this so forgive my confusion. I do appreciate the advice.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:02 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
First, if you received a court summons, that means you need to go to court on the date you are summoned (of course, you can bring a lawyer with you if you like). Typically, if an officer is going to let you pay a fine in lieu of a court appearance, they would give you a ticket on the scene and explain how you could pay it by mail. Maybe the officer did that in your case and you didn't pay quick enough and that's why the summons issued? Or it could be that a summons is issued in every reckless driving (20+ mph speeding) situation? Regardless, now that you have a summons, you need to go to court.

Second, take a deep breath. A reckless driving ticket is not the end of the world. And it is a far better thing to have on your record and for insurance purposes than a DUI. You may even find that good things happen when you make a court appearance. Sometimes, a reckless driving charge can get knocked down to a simple speeding charge, etc., if you are willing to sit in on an evening "driving school" seminar. Just relax, and rest assured that you are not the first person in the world to have driven 22 miles over the speed limit, and that probably includes the judge you will appear in front of.

Good luck.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:39 PM

Thanks very much. I certainly needed to hear that.

It turns out, the reason I thought I could just pay the ticket was because the cop "checked the wrong box" according to the clerk at the courthouse. She said I don't have to show up for court, and I won't go to jail or anything, I'll just automatically be found guilty and have to pay the $250-$500 fine. I'd almost just be happy to do that, but the Reckless charge is the thing I realize now is a really big deal...

:/

Oh well. But thank you for the reassuring words. You're right, regardless of everything, it's not the end of the world.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:58 PM
tdp

1 posts, read 11,999 times
just got out of fairfax county traffic court today. Hire the lawyer to appear on your behalf, explaining that you have to work out of state that day. Authorize the lawyer to plead guilty to the alternative finding of speeding or something like that. This is what many people were doing today. I didn't hire a lawyer and got totally screwed. Best of luck.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:08 AM

I appreciate the reply and the advice. Thank you for the reply.

I'm sorry to hear the bad news about you. Do you mind if I inquire about your specific situation? How exactly were you totally screwed?

I'd almost decided NOT to get a lawyer as I learned a reckless driving charge would not actually transfer points to my Maryland license. Things were seeming less severe than I thought from the start.

However, having a lawyer appear on my behalf would be wonderful considering I could go back to AZ.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 9,523 times
Rail and Sky: The same incident happened to me yesterday and I am not freaking out. I was wondering if you could tell me what you ended up doing and the outcome if you dont mind. As well as any advice!

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: