Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 01:54 PM

834 posts, read 2,281,187 times

Advertisements

Someone just told me recently that their insurance company told them they have to install an scrambler in their company van to block calls coming in or out. Reason being, that accidents are up tremendously due to people talking on the phone even if it's a hands free device. Apparently there are numerous studies that show that talking on a cell phone impairs a driver as much as driving drunk does. It's not the same as talking to a passenger in the car. I had no idea of any of this. I just read there was a Mythbusters show that demonstrated people drove worse on the phone than they did if they were drunk.

Personally I hate cell phones so I never use one in the car. However, I've had several close calls with people chatting away not paying attention. And Virginia seems to be one of the few states with no hands free laws. Regardless of the laws, the insurance companies make their own rules. They can still refuse to pay a claim.

Just an FYI. If everyone already knows this then carry on!

Drivers Distracted More by Cell Phones Than by Passengers - University of Utah News Release: November 30th, 2008

News Headlines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 12:21 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,013,642 times
Hands free, or not...it's the TALKING to someone who is not physically there that's distracting. If you're speaking to a passenger in your car, they, too, are aware of road conditions and traffic....and most folks will stop talking if traffic warrants it. It really doesn't matter whether it's a hand-held device or not...few folks drive with both hands!!! IT's the conversantion, not the phone.

If NO calls are allowed in a moving vehicle,....what about a passenger being able to make a call...the driver wouldn't be distracted at all. That's a silly supposition!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia