Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 08:38 AM

16 posts, read 103,650 times

Advertisements

I live in Virginia, and i must say it does not seem southern as when i get into the Carolinas or Tennessee.

Would you still consider Virginia a southern state culturally? I understand that it is traditionally southern but even geographically it is in the middle of the country.

Most religious states

http://friendlyatheist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/map.jpg (broken link)

Frequency of either "Y'all" or "You all" to address multiple people, according to an Internet survey of American dialect variation.

The merger of pin and pen in Southern American English. In the purple areas, the merger is complete for most speakers.

Last edited by Virginian1984; 01-29-2011 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Adding map
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 04:23 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,149,681 times
Well, I think that depends on who you ask

I can tell you that I grew up in Virginia and am raising my kids here in Virginia. I still say "sir" and "mam" to my elders and am raising my kids that way. I have my oldest in Cotillion and my youngest will follow in a few years.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:36 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,073 times
truthfully have noticed only a slightly higher amount of politeness compared to New York. (I live outside Roanoke).

People are friendlier, but in raw politeness (like, manners), its only a bit better here. Just like home I don't know any of my neighbors lol.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:28 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
In my travels I have never met friendlier people than in Tennessee. They seem to welcome all strangers, especially in the Smoky Mountain area of E. Tenn.
Virginians tend to be a bit more reserved at first towards strangers.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:14 PM

68 posts, read 242,029 times
Virginian1984, I live in VA too, and I don't see the southern culture either, but thats because I live in the Hampton Roads area. I think here in the Norfolk/ Virginia Beach area we forget that once you past Suffolk and go west, or go south of the border into the Carolinas, things change quickly and become more southern. We may be in the immediate southeast region, but Richmond seems to be more southern than us. Obviousuly Northen Virginia isn't very southern either.

I think if you go to any other part of VA thoough you'll see the southern charm everyone speaks of.

I'm not sure what part of VA you're from, but I like to say we're historically southern, and more mid-atlantic now, due to geography and diversity. Others in more rural areas of VA will disagree though.

Like someone else said, it depends on who you ask, and you'll also get the sterotypes out there too. I can't tell you how many people think all of us in Hampton Roads are surfer dudes that like to hang out at the bach all day, despite the area having a strong military presence.

Last edited by suffolkhr; 01-30-2011 at 07:23 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 04:25 PM

506 posts, read 1,402,506 times
If you live along the coast, Charlottesville, some sections of Richmond and in Northern Virginia, things might not be so southern.

The rest of the state.....................YES!!!

Old 01-31-2011, 05:01 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,934 times
Just live north of the Mason Dixon like I have had to for the last 30 years (I'm a native of Danville, Va- which is very Southern, BTW!) and you will never question whether anything south of the Mason Dixon is Southern ever again!

Old 01-31-2011, 05:18 PM

174 posts, read 528,651 times
I live in Roanoke and feel like it is quite southern. But, not as southern as the Wythe/Carroll/Grayson county area where I grew up.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:35 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,356 times
There is definitely southern culture here. But not everyone has it or displays it. I've grown up here and don't have or display any of the southern stereotypes. I have also been mistaken for being from the north by transplants from up north! My music teacher from VT thought so, my boss from Baltimore, and an acquaintance from NJ. I also hate collared greens and grits and have a neutral accent.I'm not the only one either. But there are definitely others who do have that southern thing going on. My goodness, I was in the Ruckersville Wal Mart the other day and it felt like a redneck twilight zone! BTW, what is up with people wearing pj's and slippers out in public?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 PM

174 posts, read 528,651 times
I don't consider wearing slippers and pj's to WalMart to be a southern thing. I lived in the north and saw it there too, I think that is just a WalMart thing. Also, I wouldn't consider being redneck a southern thing either since there are rednecks in all regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia