Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:09 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,871 times

Advertisements

Without getting into how crazy a commute this is, I need to get back to work bad and have a pretty good paying job offer up in Fort Meade.

I understand that I can take the VRE to Union Station and then reverse commute on the MARC for free. Not sure what other options are available. I heard something about taking a shuttle from the Pentagon. If I could slug to Pentagon and then take a shuttle from Pentagon that would would work out better and I figure that would be less time consuming.

Again, I know the commute is rediculous but a family member is sick and the job has great medical benefits.

I guess that I could drive the 95 miles from my location in Spotsylvania on google maps on a daily basis for the most direct path....but I imagine traffic would be murder. I think I could get some good sleep on the train and take advantage of the educational benefits they offer.

Thanks for any ideas. Would relocate, but the contract is only for a year and my house is underwater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 PM

37 posts, read 112,574 times
Is renting your house out and renting a place near Ft. Meade an option? Or can you rent a cheap room in someone's house near Ft. Meade and go home on the weekends?

I'm sorry, but I can't think of any way this commute will be less than 4 hours daily (and that's on a reeeallly good day).

Old 11-09-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedChai View Post
Is renting your house out and renting a place near Ft. Meade an option? Or can you rent a cheap room in someone's house near Ft. Meade and go home on the weekends?

I'm sorry, but I can't think of any way this commute will be less than 4 hours daily (and that's on a reeeallly good day).
Short selling it might work since the job is ~9x miles per day. I am cleared though. Still I hear that won't hurt my clearance....however...as you might see I am sometimes VA unlucky.

I am thinking 6 hours per day commute door to door on a good day to be honest!

If it is all on the train that is cool but I find myself getting sick more often than getting in a car and driving slowly. At least I could catch up on sleep and get myself some certifications that will allow me to be more marketable locally at the same salary.

Thanks for your ideas....maybe renting would work but not so sure if it could with no real demand for jobs down here so I don't know who would rent it and come remotely close to the overpriced mortgage I pay.

I'll keep thinking about it.

Thanks

Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,303 times
I live in Spotsy also, and am considering an assignment at Ft. Meade. Right now I commute daily to Ft. Eustis from Fred, so I'm used to a commute. Have you had any luck with the commute dilemna, or have you begun the commute?

Old 03-01-2013, 02:17 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Try this website MWCOG.org - About Us

I read in our local news recently, about someone starting to form some carpools between Waldorf in southern MD, and Fort Meade, MD .

Old 03-02-2013, 12:59 AM

Haha, I heard rumor after rumor of busses running from Spotsy/F-berg to Fort Meade. No one could ever validate it...also tried the link the other poster presented but had no luck whatsoever.

I worked the job for a day and quit...took one of the 2 other offers that I had. Working in DC now.

Ft. Eustis? Not sure what you do and it's none of my business....but if you aren't enlisted I'd be looking at DLA in Richmond or the Federal Reserve or Fort Lee or Quantico for an easier commute...or even DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va_commuter View Post
I live in Spotsy also, and am considering an assignment at Ft. Meade. Right now I commute daily to Ft. Eustis from Fred, so I'm used to a commute. Have you had any luck with the commute dilemna, or have you begun the commute?

Old 08-27-2013, 01:11 AM

Same employer is still tickling me with this. There is now a bus that runs from Stafford to Fort Meade. Anything better yet?

Old 09-02-2013, 12:07 PM

25 posts, read 46,861 times
I was just trolling Clearance jobs, i'm in the same boat..Once i'm done on this Oconus contract i probably going to end up having to commute to Meade from Caroline..I'm not too worried as i hope the HOT lanes will be done when i'll have to start this so i will use those for getting to work and i will take 95/495 to route 5 to route 301 in the evenings to come home

Would be nice if Va had real train service

Old 09-06-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodinafg View Post
I was just trolling Clearance jobs, i'm in the same boat..Once i'm done on this Oconus contract i probably going to end up having to commute to Meade from Caroline..I'm not too worried as i hope the HOT lanes will be done when i'll have to start this so i will use those for getting to work and i will take 95/495 to route 5 to route 301 in the evenings to come home

Would be nice if Va had real train service
Thanks for the route 5 to 301 idea...I didn't know about that. I am interviewing over at Quantico shortly. I hope I get it. I'll tell you, I worked there for 2 years uncleared and didn't know how good I had it. Even with BRAC, and a clearance it has been impossible to get into again.

We should carpool if we both get stuck at Meade.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:20 PM

25 posts, read 46,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Thanks for the route 5 to 301 idea...I didn't know about that. I am interviewing over at Quantico shortly. I hope I get it. I'll tell you, I worked there for 2 years uncleared and didn't know how good I had it. Even with BRAC, and a clearance it has been impossible to get into again.

We should carpool if we both get stuck at Meade.

Thats definitely something i would consider..better to be stuck in traffic with someone to talk to thats human..lol

Good luck @ Q
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: