Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Virginia: job search, fresh start, rental, warehousing companies, great schools.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on which cities to live in in Virginia. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you
-Pie or cake?

We on the Virginia forum would appreciate it if you included the above information in your initial post so you can get the information you want as quickly as possible and we would not have to repost the same questions for every thread. Thank you.

PS: WTB Sticky.
I am a single mom in Maryland looking for a fresh start in Virginia. I will be looking for a new job, warehouse/distribution, A new place to live for my three children and I and good school for them to attend. I won't have as much $$ to start out with as most posters here talk about, three months salary and security deposit and first months rent, not looking for a million dollar house or 2000.00 rental payment, rent would have to be under 800.00 a month. I am looking for a laid back town, that is reasonable to live in, unlike Maryland where the price of everything has doubled and tripled in some cases. I hate to drive, so a commute of 1hr or less would be great to work or anywhere (shopping, doctors, etc). I have written to a couple of towns asking for relocation info, but have not heard a word on anything like that. I am just not sure where to start with such a move. I have lived in Maryland my entire life and We all need this change and new life. I love being in the country, but that is few and far between in Maryland now, something rural is great, a place for a garden and my little boy to run and actually play. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 06:12 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,311,722 times
Maybe Staunton??? When I was looking 9 months ago I found very affordable apartments there with an awesome view and a playground for the kids.

It's within striking distance of Charlottesville and Harrisonburg which probably have some work in your field.....

Just a thought off the top of my head.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:44 PM

50 posts, read 172,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mominmd5 View Post
I am a single mom in Maryland looking for a fresh start in Virginia. I will be looking for a new job, warehouse/distribution, A new place to live for my three children and I and good school for them to attend. I won't have as much $$ to start out with as most posters here talk about, three months salary and security deposit and first months rent, not looking for a million dollar house or 2000.00 rental payment, rent would have to be under 800.00 a month. I am looking for a laid back town, that is reasonable to live in, unlike Maryland where the price of everything has doubled and tripled in some cases. I hate to drive, so a commute of 1hr or less would be great to work or anywhere (shopping, doctors, etc). I have written to a couple of towns asking for relocation info, but have not heard a word on anything like that. I am just not sure where to start with such a move. I have lived in Maryland my entire life and We all need this change and new life. I love being in the country, but that is few and far between in Maryland now, something rural is great, a place for a garden and my little boy to run and actually play. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Try Craigslist.com for jobs/apartments...I have found it to be an excellent resource for relocation plans! BTW: I thought MD was beautiful when I was there for the day in Balto and the entire week in Ocean City. Wow! I might even consider...but not yet.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:54 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,234 times
Hi, This link might be helpful - a few years ago (not sure when) Reader's Digest made a list of best places in the US for families. I could have sworn there were a few more in VA, but I guess it just has Charlottesville and Lynchburg. Maybe Lynchburg would be a good recommendation for you? I think I have been there a couple of times, but I'm not an expert. Here's the link:

Lynchburg Reader's Digest award, rating, Amherst, Altavista, Bedford, Appomattox, Wintergreen, Smith Mountain Lake, Real Estate amherst, altavista, bedford, appomattox, wintergreen, smith mountain lake real estate

Old 10-22-2007, 11:45 AM

19 posts, read 90,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mominmd5 View Post
Consider the Roanoke area, there are a lot of rentals in your range and you could live in one of the surrounding areas, Franklin, Botetourt, Craig or Bedford counties and get to Roanoke in 30 minutes or less. There are a lot warehousing companies here to, Roanoke is the shipping hub of SW VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia