Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:40 PM

279 posts, read 482,137 times

Advertisements

Things to do - Virginia Is For Lovers

Things to do in Virginia: Check out 959 Virginia Attractions - TripAdvisor

Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries

I want to start checking out all Virginia has to offer, I've been some places and seen some things around my home state of Virginia but recently I've come to the realization that Virginia has MANY things I haven't checked out. IMO Virginia is the best and most beautiful state there is, it has everything one could want and is very diverse from great history, food, architecture, people, places, scenery, etc.

So let me know my fellow Virginians, what are the best places and things to check out in our great state? Like mountain hikes, lakes, rivers, parks, historic places, towns, cities, resorts, food, museums, plantations, buildings, etc.

Also, what cities have the most impressive skylines to check out? I would say Richmond, Norfolk, and Rosslyn. Can you think of any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 PM

CARRY ME BACK TO OLD VIRGINNY - Original 1878 Lyrics - Tom Roush - YouTube Carry Me Back To Old Virginny

My home's across the blue ridge mountain - Joan Baez - YouTube My Home's Across The Blue Ridge Mountains

Osborne Brothers - Blue Ridge Mountain Home - YouTube My Blue Ridge Cabin Home

"Oh Shenandoah" Violin & Guitar Duo - YouTube "Oh Shenandoah" Violin & Guitar Duo

Clinton Gregory - Christmas in Virginia - YouTube Christmas In Virginia

Old 03-25-2013, 04:45 PM

894 posts, read 2,314,193 times
There's a lot here I haven't done either. But it might help to know what you're interested in and what you've already seen. As you said already, Virginia is very diverse, more so than many people give it credit for. Even the natives!

Old 03-25-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
There's a lot here I haven't done either. But it might help to know what you're interested in and what you've already seen. As you said already, Virginia is very diverse, more so than many people give it credit for. Even the natives!
I'm looking for anything and everything as stated in my previous post involving VA. I'm just curious about places people have been and things people have done in VA that they would recommend doing.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:23 PM

Nelson county, VA state route 151

Nelson county, VA

Batesville, VA in Albemarle county

Crabtree Falls in Nelson county (highest water fall east of the Mississippi)

Southwest VA

Northern VA

Blue Ridge Parkway in VA

Crozet, VA

Goshen Pass in Rockbridge county, VA

Breaks Interstate Park in Southwest VA

Skyline Drive in VA

Natural Bridge in Rockbridge county, VA

Luray Caverns in Luray, VA

Falling Spring Falls in Covington, VA

Staunton, VA

Lexington, VA

Lynchburg, VA

Alexandria, VA
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2272$sx1704$s.

Williamsburg, VA

Harrisonburg, VA

Downtown Mall in Charlottesville, VA

Monticello in Charlottesville, VA (Thomas Jefferson's home)

Mount Vernon near Alexandria, VA (George Washington's home)

Montpelier in Orange, VA (James Madison's home)
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 960$sx339$s.

Ash Lawn Highland in Charlottesville, VA (James Monroe's home)

Roanoke, VA
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2048$sx1365$s.

Blacksburg, VA

Danville, VA

Richmond, VA
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1280$sx720$s.

Norfolk, VA
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1280$sx800$s.

Virginia Beach, VA

Arlington, VA

Rosslyn, VA

Chincoteague, VA

Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM

Wilderness State Park in Southwest VA

Walton Mountain Museum in Schuyler, VA

Humpback Rock on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Spy Rock in Nelson County, VA

Mount Rogers in Grayson County, VA (highest peak in VA at 5,729 ft.)

Westin Town Center in Virginia Beach, VA (tallest building in VA, 38 stories 508 ft.)

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel

Sandbridge, VA in the outer banks

Pentagon in Arlington County, VA

Virginia State Capital Building in Richmond, VA

White House of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA

Historic Jamestowne, VA

Historic Yorktown, VA

Old 03-25-2013, 09:45 PM

Redskins Park in Ashburn, VA (go Redskins!)

Richmond International Raceway in Richmond, VA

Martinsville Speedway in Ridgeway, VA

Lane Stadium, Blacksburg, VA (Virginia Tech Hokies)

Cassell Coliseum in Blacksburg, VA (Virginia Tech Hokies)

Scott Stadium in Charlottesville, VA (Virginia Cavaliers)

John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville, VA (Virginia Cavaliers)

Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek in Virginia Beach, VA (one of two US military bases where Navy Seals train, the other being in CA)

Naval Station Norfolk in Norfolk, VA (largest naval station in the world)

Marine Corps Base Quantico near Triangle, VA

Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 AM

Kerr Lake in Mecklenberg County VA (largest lake in VA)

143 pound catfish caught at Kerr Lake (don't know who they are in the picture)

cumberland gap national historical park (located at the border between Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia.)

Natural Tunnel State Park in Scott County, VA

Blue Ridge Tunnel near Crozet, VA (The Blue Ridge Railroad was incorporated by the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1849 with Claudius Crozet as chief engineer. Its purpose was to provide a crossing of the Blue Ridge Mountains for the Virginia Central Railroad into the Shenandoah Valley.When completed, the Blue Ridge Tunnel was the longest in the United States and one of the longest tunnels in the world, a remarkable feat of engineering. It opened to rail traffic in April 1858, and was considered to be one of the engineering wonders of the modern world.

Orkney Springs Hotel in Shenandoah County, VA (The Virginia House is believed to be the largest wooden structure in Virginia. It dates to the 1870s and is on the National Historical Register.)

Abingdon, VA

Monterey, VA in Highland County (Known as "Virginia's Little Switzerland",[3] Highland County is the least populous county in Virginia. Highland lays claim to being one of the least populous counties and one of the highest average elevations east of the Mississippi River.)

Middleburg, VA ( The self-proclaimed capital of Virginia's Hunt Country.)

Old 03-26-2013, 01:54 AM

Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA

Kings Dominion in Doswell, VA

Foamhenge in Rockbridge County, VA

Red Onion State Prison in Wise County, VA (super-maximum security VA state prison)

Virginia Zoo in Norfolk, VA

Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center in Virginia Beach, VA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia