Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 09:06 AM

23 posts, read 81,549 times

Advertisements

We have a 3 year old and are older parents. We will spend $150K - $190K for a home. We love, love, love to fish (catch and eat). We are a diverse couple (husband from Bay Island in Central America). We like walking around a neighborhood in the early evening where other folks (or at least some) also are outside and say hello. We're modest folks (and middle income), and are open that we won't be able to have a big home. It seems we gravitate toward newer (within 10-15 years) even though it means smaller homes. The yard size doesn't matter to us, as we'll live close together or we'll be fine on a farm or ranch. Its the fishing we'd really like to be near. A beach or a swimming pool for our little one would be ideal. Dear hubby will look for a job in a restaurant, as he is a cook. I have a job, but need a solid internet connection as I work online from home. I thought the lake living was cool, but after visiting one in VA, it hit home that I really would like to find a neighborhood where some of the residents go outdoors and interact. We sure could use some guidance at this point with so many beautiful areas to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 10:52 AM

80 posts, read 218,696 times
Have you looked into smith mountain lake? It's sort of in the boondocks though and I've only been there once cause I have fam. that live near it. It seems to be mostly retirees though, I don't know how you would feel about that. There's also Virginia Beach if you want something more coastal. There're lots of new houses there, it's very much a growing area. But if you want a more mature and settled area, Norfolk might be an option. It's a short drive away from the beach and is also near to the dismal swamp but offers more of an urban life. Fredericksburg has the Rappahannock running through it where a lot of people fish and swim but since it's in northern Virginia the prices might be a bit steeper for the houses.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:26 PM

Thank you Kakalena for your excellent post. Smith Mtn Lake looks stunningly beautiful. As you guessed, I'm not too comfy with mostly retirees but ultimately, its just too far from Charlottesville for dear hubby's comfort level for a commute. I expect to have to give way on certain wishes in order to gain on others, but DH pretty certain he doesn't want an hour commute to work. I will check into Virginia Beach, because I didn't know about its recent growth. Norfolk has great prices for airfare for visits to/from relatives in New England and had missed being on my Look list because I assumed there would be a transient nature due to military. You're right noVa is pricier but the Rappahannock river sounds very very very enticing )))

Old 04-06-2013, 02:07 PM

I happen to live in Norfolk and it is a bit transient but settled at the same time. I live near Ghent which is an awesome little neighborhood in the downtown area. It's got military people but also people that have lived here for a long time so it's a bit of a mix. It's got some really cool old houses but my guess is that the price is too high for what you want and they're also older. But it's gone tons of character and I think it's only gonna get better as the years go on.

I've also lived in Fredericksburg in the old town part and it was very charming. They also have newer houses nearby as well as some very decent restaurants. Many people live in Fredericksburg and commute on the train to work which goes to both DC and Richmond.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:48 PM

I read somewhere here that Ghent is up and coming. I searched but nothing in my budget. Just as you predicted. I'll keep plugging. I had a little more than a dozen potentials pop up for Fredericksburg... now I've got to read them and map them all, lol. In or near Williamsburg VA and in/near Wilmington NC also sound good. Reading about places online just doesn't seems as effective as visiting in person. For instance, I thought I'd love Lake Monticello in central VA near Charlottesville but after visiting last weekend, that community just isn't for me. My house here sold much quicker than I'd anticipated, so I feel a lot of pressure. Thankfully, I can work online from anywhere, so when I've got enough areas to look into, I'll fly into Norfolk and spend a couple of days checking out the various areas along the coast that were procpects and hopefully (God willing) I can make a decision on the area to settle. From there, its just picking a house
If that is unsuccessful, there is always renting in the various areas but not many folks seem to want to have 6-month leases

Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,429,870 times
If you are interested in the Fredericksburg area, then you are not that far from Lake Anna. I know there is a lot of fishing there but have also heard it isn't too easy to catch at times. Living on the lake will be expensive but the places off the lake are much cheaper. It is "in the middle of no where" however with Fredericksburg about 30 minutes away the biggest town. Still, the state park has swimming for kids. Here's one link about it, Welcome to Lake Anna, Virginia

Old 04-09-2013, 12:21 PM

419 posts, read 902,118 times
The best and cleanest fish will be those from the ocean waters off the coast. Norfolk or anywhere in the tidewater (Hampton Roads) area allow relatively easy access, better if you have a boat. There are so many varying neighborhoods in the area that it is hard to define them all easily. Ghent is the only one where there is a defined vibe but other areas and pocket neighborhoods are nice as well. I have lived in the Norview area and my mother still does. The neighborhood is nice and everyone friendly but it is amidst other more sketchy areas. there is water that separates the neighborhoods but they all appear as one in the statistics. makes it hard to assess.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:35 PM

There's also the James River that runs through Richmond that I think people fish in. It used to be really polluted but I think I heard that it's a lot cleaner now. I'm not too familiar with it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia