Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Virginia in need of showcase, archaic laws, lack of annexation, showcase city Washington, D.C., revitalization period, visionary leadership, civic pride, regionalism, consolidation

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:07 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
I say the less we resemble the NC growth patterns, the better.

Yes, North Carolina population is growing at 10% while Virginia is growing at 8% (according to the latest census quickfacts data). Yes, North Carolina has Charlotte. But North Carolina also has an unemployment rate of 4.9% while Virginia's is noticeably lower, at 2.9%. Furthermore, Virginia's median household income is 25% higher!

North Carolina has the 2nd fastest growing illegal immigrant population in the USA. The 2nd highest! I mentioned this before, but the Pew Hispanic Center estimates that 2/3rds of the hispanic population in NC are illegal immigrants. Despite this, Virginias % of hispanic owned businesses is nearly TWICE that of North Carolina's. There are also a greater % of women owned businesses in Virginia.

Virginia also enjoys a much higher federal spending rate. While NC gets about 55B, VA enjoys over 90B in annual federal investment. This washes over into our general economic health in so many ways.

I see an economic perfect storm brewing in NC in many industries.

Much of Virginia lies within the growing D.C. Megalopolis, therefore it needs no "showcase city".

Sean
Good post and great points..... That's kind of what I was getting at with the D.C. area. NOVA is D.C. pretty much so if you feel the need for some "showcase" area that can easily be considered as such...

While Charlotte shows NC growth patterns, as a man in the valley I'm sure you'd hate to see Roanoke become the next Asheville as well....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 07:27 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,563,286 times
All this talk is crazy. You don't need a "showcase" city. Charlotte is the biggest city in NC, but I think Raleigh has something to saw about being a showcase city for NC too and we are also up and coming and growing. I grew up in NoVA and liked the fact that I lived 15 miles from DC, even though we didn't have a unified city up there. I like the small towns in and around the big suburban environment. Virginia does a lot of things right and they should keep it that way. I remember a few years ago the stink about VDOT...well NCDOT is much worse. Anyway all I'm saying is that Charlotte is not the "world class" city it portrays itself to be. It is up and coming, but don't forget about Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and especially not Raleigh & Durham. Virginia too has a goo dmix of medium size cities (Richmond, Va Beach, Alexandria, Roanoke, Charlottsville, etc, etc)...their does not need to be a showcase city. let's not forget that Arlington and most of Alexandria actually used to be part of DC.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,081,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdshiflett View Post
Sean I couldn't agree with you more and so enjoy reading your post!

As a native Virginian and having lived all over the United States. I don't think we need a singled out showcase city. Virginia in itself is a SHOWCASE.

You're a Real Estate agent and need to think that way, but Va., Richmond especially, needs an enima.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:08 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,771 times
Talking To Each His Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
You're a Real Estate agent and need to think that way, but Va., Richmond especially, needs an enima.

The way I feel about Virginia has nothing to do with my being a Real Estate agent. I am Virginian born and bread. I have lived all over the United States. When I was younger I couldn't wait to get away from here. Now that I am older and much wiser. I am thankful that I alway ended back up in Virginia with all it has to offer.

As far as your Enima comment. The wonderful thing about an enima is that it expells that which is not needed.

So by your own admission in a previous post.
"VA is called the "Old Dominion" for a reason, and some like it that way, and some do not. I don't, and thats why I am outta here. "

I think it definately works.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:28 AM
CNI CNI started this thread

194 posts, read 578,724 times
[SIZE=2]Now that's what I was expecting...some back-&-forth. I thought this issue should raise some passionate debate.
1st - Thanks for EVERYONE'S participation! No fun posting & not getting any responses.
2nd - I can appreciate everyone's perspective.
However, LET'S NOT TURN THIS INTO ANOTHER CHARLOTTE VS RICHMOND, RALEIGH VS RICHMOND, N.C. VS VA THREAD. Several of those out there already (plus N.C. related threads are well represented on this site). This is about VIRGINIA.
Only pointed to Charlotte in NC because it appears (according to population, corporate headquarters, professional sports, hype, etc.) to be NC's leading spot (I may be wrong).
Point is that most of our country's most populous states have "showcase cities" (see list below).
These showcase cities are not representative of residents from every portion of the state (ex, NYC not representative of rural residents of NY state). Some residents may have a rural or suburban inclination. VA has numerous opportunities and options for its residents with these rural & suburban tastes.
A showcase city in VA, however, would allow state residents with more urban inclinations to meet their needs within their own state.
The entire state is not old & settled. If you have established yourself & are looking to be settled then fine. But there are also eager people - some young, some not so young - who deserve opportunities. If those opportunities cannot be provided here in VA then they will relocate other places. Sometimes we can learn from our critics (yes, I'm referring to patsfan).
That's what this debate kinda comes down to. Many in this state seem to be happy with standing still. And if you stand still while others are moving forward then, essentially, you are REGRESSING. The next generations of Virginians needs us to PROGRESS because they need opportunities. Do we want to be so pristine, undeveloped, anti-development, etc. that we morph into an eastern version of WEST VIRGINIA? That is why I propose that there be a "showcase city" - where it is clearly understood that growth and progress are the focus. Stagnation is not an option in the "showcase city".
Having a showcase city potentially attracts opportunities (economic, recreational, cultural, etc.) that otherwise would not be possible. Without D.C. & NOVA the state of VA would not be experiencing some of the economic growth in industries of the future (i.e., high tech) it has experienced. D.C. & NOVA allow VA residents to get a big city fix without spending more hours on the road. For ex, DC's zoo allows us a real zoo experience (sorry, but the Chesterfield zoo is not a zoo & Norfolk's zoo just isn't up to par). We'd have no pro sport representation w/o D.C. (Please do not speak to me about NASCAR). Many entertainment options (concerts, plays, etc.) would not be possible w/o D.C. We would not have a high federal spending rate without our proximity to D.C.
Having said all of these glowing things about D.C. I must also say that D.C. is not a part of the state of VA. When Virginians attend an event & spend $ in D.C. - does that directly increase the wealth of VA? No. Maybe indirectly but not directly. Could I apply for employment opportunities in D.C. requiring D.C. residency? No. I would guess that D.C. residents do not consider themselves to be VA or MD state residents.
Plus, we should stop leaching off of D.C./NOVA & have other regions of VA step-up and contribute more significantly to strengthening the state. By relying so much on D.C./NOVA we basically agree to sink along with that region should they experience economic downturns.
Again, I respect everyone's arguments but, to me, you cannot claim D.C. as part of VA. (No more than N.J. can claim NYC). Therefore, D.C. cannot be VA's showcase city.
By state population (approx; millions):
CA (36.5) - several major showcase cities (LA, San Fran, San Diego)
TX (23.5)- several major showcase cities & up-&-comers (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin)
NY (19) - NYC
Florida (18) - showcase city & up-&-comers (Miami, Orlando, Jacksonville, Tampa)
Illinois (13) - Chicago
PA (12) - Philly & Pittsburgh
OH (11) - Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus
Michigan (10) - Detroit
Georgia (9) - Atlanta
NC (8.8) - Charlotte
New Jersey (8.7) - *NYC
VA (7.6) - *D.C.
Mass (6.4) - Boston
Washington (6.4) - Seattle
Indiana (6.3) - Indianapolis
Arizona (6.1) - Phoenix
Tenn (6.0) - Nashville(?)
Missouri (5.8) - St Louis, Kansas City
Md (5.6) - Baltimore
Wisconsin (5.6) - Milwaukee
Minn (5.1) - Minneapolis
Colorado (4.7) - Denver
Alabama (4.6)
SC (4.3)
La (4.3) - New Orleans
Kentucky (4.2)
Oregon (3.7)
Oklahoma (3.6)
Connecticut (3.5)
Iowa (3)
Mississippi (2.9)
Arkansas (2.8)
Kansas (2.7)
Utah (2.5)
Nevada (2.5)
NM (2)
WVa (1.8)
Nebraska (1.8)
Idaho (1.5)
D.C. (under 1 million)
[/SIZE]

Old 11-02-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdshiflett View Post
The way I feel about Virginia has nothing to do with my being a Real Estate agent. I am Virginian born and bread. I have lived all over the United States. When I was younger I couldn't wait to get away from here. Now that I am older and much wiser. I am thankful that I alway ended back up in Virginia with all it has to offer.

As far as your Enima comment. The wonderful thing about an enima is that it expells that which is not needed.

So by your own admission in a previous post.
"VA is called the "Old Dominion" for a reason, and some like it that way, and some do not. I don't, and thats why I am outta here. "

I think it definately works.

How clever, you must be a really good agent. I was relying on the enima to wash out the Va. Govt., but your post is pretty funny! If you all in Va. get rid of these "relects" in office, maybe this state will become something other than just a Historic Battlefield.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:04 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
How clever, you must be a really good agent. I was relying on the enima to wash out the Va. Govt., but your post is pretty funny! If you all in Va. get rid of these "relects" in office, maybe this state will become something other than just a Historic Battlefield.
You're a bit of a paradox here.... It sounds like you feel there should be a "showcase city" in Virginia for all that such a city might provide in entertainment and cultural value, YET when are confronted with the fact that DC really IS this to many Virginians it becomes a matter of economics.

Fairfax, Alexandria, Arlington, etc, etc, etc... ALL benefit economically with their proximity to the District. Again I don't really see the need for Virginia to have it's own mega-city (which is really what you're angling at here).

I'll raise my hand to be counted among those who like that the majority of the state remains relatively rural and a "Historic Battlefield". In fact a large portion of the reason I moved back. I missed that aspect..

Explain to me further your reasoning for leaving...... You're leaving the state because there's no "showcase city"??? Guess I don't understand the personal importance of having that. Sure it'd be neat for Richmond or Norfolk to get a professional sports team or something, but not essential...

Old 11-02-2007, 01:06 PM

210 posts, read 1,139,771 times
Actually I am a Great Agent!

Old 11-02-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
You're a bit of a paradox here.... It sounds like you feel there should be a "showcase city" in Virginia for all that such a city might provide in entertainment and cultural value, YET when are confronted with the fact that DC really IS this to many Virginians it becomes a matter of economics.

Fairfax, Alexandria, Arlington, etc, etc, etc... ALL benefit economically with their proximity to the District. Again I don't really see the need for Virginia to have it's own mega-city (which is really what you're angling at here).

I'll raise my hand to be counted among those who like that the majority of the state remains relatively rural and a "Historic Battlefield". In fact a large portion of the reason I moved back. I missed that aspect..

Explain to me further your reasoning for leaving...... You're leaving the state because there's no "showcase city"??? Guess I don't understand the personal importance of having that. Sure it'd be neat for Richmond or Norfolk to get a professional sports team or something, but not essential...
I don't really care if this state has a showcase city or not, but if it did, could you imagine the over priced housing that it would have. My reason for leaving is quite simple. Not to turn this into a RIC vs CLT debate(too late right?), but when I lived in CLT there was this vibe the city had, and I'm sure it still has. I never felt that living in Richmond, nor did the people there seem to want to better their city. They're content with the way it is, and thats fine I suppose, but I like a vibrant city, and it just doesn't exsist here. It is true, there is a place for everyone, and Va. doesn't seem to be it for me. So......see yah! Adios, I've been brushing up on my Spanish being I'm moving back to Charlotte.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:13 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,891,442 times
Default DC is the place!!

Maybe Virginia is just too dominated by DC's influence, so there is no rush here to build up our cities to look like Charlotte or Raleigh. I also think Virginia's historic past is something that is ingrained into our psyche. After all, this is where the U.S. began and from what I understand from history our founding fathers from Va didn't believe in big cities. I think all over our region there is some jealousy toward Charlotte and Raleigh from pulling jobs away from VA with NC's aggressive economic development practices. For so long NC was looked down upon by VA as the "TarHeel" state and I think Carolinians have always wanted to better themselves, due to the decline of textiles, etc. Its just called competition. I don't see much potential for any city in VA(except up and coming Roanoke) for increased tourism or economic development. I feel DC will continue to grow and its suburbs will spread down to Charlottesville. If I can ever get into DC I will but I hope there will be a train someday!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia