Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:46 PM

4 posts, read 14,950 times

Advertisements

Have you looked into Richmond for the party/nightlife scene. Includes some fine museums, a great downtown in Shockoe Bottom for bars/clubs and restaurants. With a number of colleges in the area many younger people. Best part is prices are less than DC area, easier on the nerves for traffic and a fine easy in/out airport if you need it. Lots of housing to the south of F'burg (Spotsy, Caroline) and only a 45 minute easy drive to downtown Richmond. Or live in the burg. Remember traffic to and from DC is horrendous at ALL times of day, going north or south. No fun spending a major part of your life in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 05:12 AM

38 posts, read 84,863 times
My work in Fredericksburg is 7 am to 7 pm on Mondays. Either 7 am to 1 pm or 1 pm to 7 am rest of week. And 8 am to 2 pm on Sat. Would I stuck in the traffic like rest of ppl?

Old 05-10-2013, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 14,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothy604 View Post
My work in Fredericksburg is 7 am to 7 pm on Mondays. Either 7 am to 1 pm or 1 pm to 7 am rest of week. And 8 am to 2 pm on Sat. Would I stuck in the traffic like rest of ppl?
Check out the Trafficland.com cameras at those times which will give you a pretty good idea of what traffic is like on the I95 corridor. I commuted north for almost 25 yrs, it got progressively worse as the years went by to the point I would leave before 4:30 to have relatively easy commute. To come south you want to be pass the merge by 2:00 pm. Friday's (especially in the summer) didn't seem to matter what time you leave it just plain sucked! Problem is a mix of different drivers, the commuter just trying to get to or from work, the snow birds to and from the south, semi's trying to earn a living, and tourists either lost or trying to get to the beach and a road not designed to handle that much traffic.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:59 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,372,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeky12 View Post
Check out the Trafficland.com cameras at those times which will give you a pretty good idea of what traffic is like on the I95 corridor. I commuted north for almost 25 yrs, it got progressively worse as the years went by to the point I would leave before 4:30 to have relatively easy commute. To come south you want to be pass the merge by 2:00 pm. Friday's (especially in the summer) didn't seem to matter what time you leave it just plain sucked! Problem is a mix of different drivers, the commuter just trying to get to or from work, the snow birds to and from the south, semi's trying to earn a living, and tourists either lost or trying to get to the beach and a road not designed to handle that much traffic.
That's kind of hell when I think about it. I just looked at the map, and that's really the ONLY highway for everyone living on the East Coast to go south.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,188 times
I would suggest living in Fairfax and commuting to Fredericksburg (going against the traffic for the most part). I-95 and the like are a NIGHTMARE at most times of the day and that is not an exaggeration. There are lots of great places in Northern VA for singles to hang, Reston Towne Center is one area that comes to mind. Though I would suggest living more toward I-95, say Springfield/Newington as one other poster suggested. Another upside of living in NOVA is public transporation, Metro to a Nationals or Wizards game is a breeze if you want to avoid parking woes at those facilities. There is a commuter train (VRE) in Fredericksburg that runs to the North in the a.m. and South in the evenings but no other times, i.e., sporting events, etc. and a small bus system (FRED) in the Fredericksburg area. And other than a few taxis, there is no other system in place. Shopping has gotten better in Fredericksburg but it doesn't compare to what you'll find in NOVA. There's no GAP, Banana Republic, Williams Sonoma, etc. but there is a small Macy's, Joseph A. Banks, DSW along with a modest shopping Mall. Best of luck with your job and enjoy your new place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia