Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 11:42 AM

7 posts, read 8,594 times

Advertisements

I was advised to plead not guilty is that a good idea? I wont be having a lawyer but my dad is going to come with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 5,546 times
A lawyer is really your best bet. Even just friendly advice from them is better then us. There are few lawyers on here I imagine.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:16 AM

4 posts, read 5,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achristie3 View Post
Yesterday I was pulled over. I made a dumb mistake and did not check my speedometer and was pulled over. The cop says I was going 60 on a 40 and was mad because i didnt slow down when seeing him. The thing is I didnt even realize he was there until it was too late.

I am only 18 years old and that was my first time ever getting pulled over. I am very nervous and stressed out my court date is in a month and a half which is too long of a wait.

Any idea on what is going to happen? I can't afford to get a lawyer at this time.
Don't stress over it. I got a reckless driving ticket when I was 16 after I had gotten my license. This is your first offense, so the judge will probably give you a first offenders break, make you pay a fine, court cost, take the driving class if the one you take isn't accepted, and he'll tell you that you need to keep your record clean for the next 6 months. If you do all of that, the charges will be dropped and reduced to improper driving.

In Virginia, the lowest charge they can give you for going 15+ MPH is Reckless, don't get scared by the name!

Don't be nervous! It won't be bad!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:35 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,269,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone94 View Post
Don't stress over it. I got a reckless driving ticket when I was 16 after I had gotten my license. This is your first offense, so the judge will probably give you a first offenders break, make you pay a fine, court cost, take the driving class if the one you take isn't accepted, and he'll tell you that you need to keep your record clean for the next 6 months. If you do all of that, the charges will be dropped and reduced to improper driving.

In Virginia, the lowest charge they can give you for going 15+ MPH is Reckless, don't get scared by the name!

Don't be nervous! It won't be bad!
That's not true. Officers can cite for speeding no matter what the speed. And the threshold is 20 over or 80 and above. But even above 80 or 20 over they can actually cite for speeding unless maybe some agency policy forbids it, which I doubt.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:12 PM

7 posts, read 8,594 times
So my dad has decided that we should get an attorney. Do you think that will make the case more likely to be reduced to improper driving or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia