Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:56 AM

132 posts, read 488,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Williams View Post
I have to say I really do not “get” Virginia....I have actually ended up in some heated discussions at my work place because I got irritated that they put resumes to the side because “they are not local”. It took me close to 2 years to get a full time job with benefits that were not so great (beggars can’t be choosers though) . I can easily say that moving to Virginia close to ruined my career.
Obviously different employers function differently. Companies that have their HQ OUTSIDE Virginia will happily send people to work in VA. Local companies are some what skeptical to outsiders.
Wow, sounds fairly extreme. I hope I don't run into the same thing. I won't even consider moving, however, until I have a firm commitment on a postion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 05:54 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,672,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael49 View Post

Any other "Northern" transplants down here?

By the way, I'm a friendly New Englander whose attitude/demeanor is probably more "Southern" that it is "Northern".

How is the hiking/camping/biking around Roanoke?
yup (raises hand) northern transplant here.
hiking/camping/biking around roanoke is basically endless. besides all the stuff in va, you also have wv, nc, tn (great smokey mtn national park, pisgah, etc.) all within easy reach. and the comfortable camping (temp) season is fairly long. in fact, if you were willing to deal with a little cold, you could camp year round down here.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,253 times
Smile Moved to Richmond from Boston

Quote:
My wife and I are in our mid 30's and live in New England. We are considering moving to Virginia for the milder winters and better housing; its 400k here for a 100+ year old house that needs work!!!

We love the outdoors and like to hike, bike, kayak, run, etc. We also like a somewhat liberal community with fun/funky (but not snooty) restaurants and shops. We both work in health care.

People have suggested Charlottesville and Roanoke to us in the past. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Richmond Va. area is a great place to live. The James River is great for Kyaking ( I kyak myself ) an most all communities have nature trails or sidewalks to run on. We are located a short drive to Va Beach or to DC.

You will find Charlottesville very expensive and Roanoke a little to remote. [mod]link and solicitation removed[/mod]

Last edited by scirocco22; 01-13-2008 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: Please read T.O.S. or DM me for an explanation.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:25 PM

6 posts, read 16,328 times
Default I agree with ESQ2B....

I think Roanoke is probably one of the prettiest towns (cities) ever but it is boring and there are too many people there who have no goals, rednecky, big time. I lived there for 10 years and made several great friends but besides them, most people were fake, fake, fake. And mean!! Look at SeanPeco's answer to ESQ2B...insulting and mean. Saying ESQ isn't intelligent or interesting. It's exactly this kind of "redneck" (i.e. not very smart, and insulting) behavior that makes this beautiful small city such a terrible place to raise a family. Go somewhere where the people are nicer AND there are things to do AND is beautiful.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:27 PM

Angry Another meany...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
I love this post. I agree with it in almost every aspect.
See? Another meany...just like Seanpeccer!
STAY OUT OF ROANOKE!!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Go See Miniature Graceland If You Are In Roanoke, it's fantastic and I'm not even a huge Elvis fan. The guy who builds it must be a genius with his hands!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:35 PM

Wink I'd suggest...

Quote:
My wife and I are in our mid 30's and live in New England. We are considering moving to Virginia for the milder winters and better housing; its 400k here for a 100+ year old house that needs work!!!

We love the outdoors and like to hike, bike, kayak, run, etc. We also like a somewhat liberal community with fun/funky (but not snooty) restaurants and shops. We both work in health care.

People have suggested Charlottesville and Roanoke to us in the past. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I'd suggest Charlottseville of the two. It's more expensive than Roanoke but it's also more sophisticated.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:28 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,205,080 times
*edit* I decided not to feed the trolls.

Sean

Last edited by seanpecor; 04-29-2008 at 04:59 PM..

Old 04-29-2008, 04:55 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,672,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicka777 View Post
Go somewhere where the people are nicer AND there are things to do AND is beautiful.
Where is that? Flicka777, where'd you end up after leaving Roanoke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia