Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 08:51 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,633,538 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I have a holiday from work until January 10, because my job company is moving from Fredericksburg to Lynchburg because they can get a place much cheaper there and for other reasons.

But I am married and have 7 kids and living in Fredericksburg. We really do not want to move houses because we are having a very good life. My kids are in a great private school and acing almost every test/project. Also we love that Fredericksburg is a large town and really convient as its mostly a restaurant/hotel/shopping area and is very convenient. My wife cannot drive so she needs shops in walking distance. Also my kids always split up every night and wander around the town together, and every thursday me and my wife go out together and all our kids split up and go together and all groups eat dinner out at different restaurants. Fredericksburg is the great place for us.

But sadly my job is moving to Lynchburg and I really don't want to leave my job as I love it and its a very good job, and get payed a good salary. So I am thinking maybe just driving from Fredericksburg to Lynchburg everyday. If we have to move we have to, but I seriously do not want to leave Fredericksburg. Has anyone else on here communicated between Lynchburg and Fredericksburg, or similar towns far apart like that? How long a drive is it from Fredericksburg to Lynchburg? Google Maps says its about 2 hours, but I have a feeling thats with no traffic. Also what is the most efficient route to take everyday to lynchburg, and what is the major interstate that lynchburg is along, like Fredericksburg is along I-95.

So basically I am having a hard time deciding whether to move to Lynchburg vs stay in Fredericksburg and just communicate everyday. A few of my colleagues are staying in Fredericksburg, but most of them are moving. As you can tell by now I am leaning towards staying in Fredericksburg. But if we absolutely HAVE to move, how is Lynchburg is it very restaurant/shopping/hotel like area like Fredericksburg? So what do you think is the best choice? If Fredericksburg to Lynchburg is doable everyday I will stay in Fredericksburg?

What do you all think?

Last edited by Danny K; 12-23-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:52 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
I've never done that specific drive but I think it would be extremely difficult every day. Throw in any kind of "issue" -- accidents, snow, ice, fog--and it would really be a nightmare.

I would assume you'd go through Orange to Route 29 and south. Your biggest problems would be tie-ups getting through Charlottesville because there isn't a by-pass and it is frequently a mess. Then from Charlottesville to Lynchburg (mostly Nelson and Amherst Counties) is is beautiful with mountains but can be very dangerous with weather issues and tons of deer. You also run a tremendous risk, especially after a day of work, of falling asleep on the road. Because of the rural nature, it is rather tedious.

Have you considered renting a room M-F in Lynchburg and commuting home on the weekends. Not ideal but might be cheaper than all the gasoline, wear/tear on your car and stress.

Remember, too, Lynchburg is cheaper so housing will go further and there are numerous private schools (and if the kids are acing everything, they're not be challenged where they are.) There are several threads on here about the pros and cons of Lynchburg.

Best of luck.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:15 AM

134 posts, read 331,900 times
For me it would be VERY hard to do every day—at least four hours in the car. You could make it easier by moving to Charlottesville...

I split time between homes in Lynchburg and Alexandria, and when I drive from Alexandria (I prefer to take the train, but that won't be an option for you) off of I-95 I take 3 to 20 to 15 to 64 to 29. I used to take 20 all the way to 250/29 because it's more scenic, but I've found 15/64 faster.

If I'm going through Fredericksburg @ 6:00 a.m., from where I turn onto 20 to my place in downtown Lynchburg it's ~two hours and ten minutes going only slightly over the speed limit (but observing the school and construction zone speed limits on 29 b/c there are often cops waiting there). If I have timed things poorly, though, that section of 3 through Fredericksburg is a bigger cluster mess than anything I encounter on the south side of Charlottesville, and if it's around 6:45/7 a.m. when I turn onto 20, I end up behind many school buses until I get to Orange.

The commute North in the late afternoon/early evening, which I've also done, takes me about 20 min. more b/c there is more slow traffic, esp. on 20.

Last edited by springgrl; 12-23-2013 at 11:35 AM..

Old 12-23-2013, 12:05 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,633,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I've never done that specific drive but I think it would be extremely difficult every day. Throw in any kind of "issue" -- accidents, snow, ice, fog--and it would really be a nightmare.

I would assume you'd go through Orange to Route 29 and south. Your biggest problems would be tie-ups getting through Charlottesville because there isn't a by-pass and it is frequently a mess. Then from Charlottesville to Lynchburg (mostly Nelson and Amherst Counties) is is beautiful with mountains but can be very dangerous with weather issues and tons of deer. You also run a tremendous risk, especially after a day of work, of falling asleep on the road. Because of the rural nature, it is rather tedious.

Have you considered renting a room M-F in Lynchburg and commuting home on the weekends. Not ideal but might be cheaper than all the gasoline, wear/tear on your car and stress.

Remember, too, Lynchburg is cheaper so housing will go further and there are numerous private schools (and if the kids are acing everything, they're not be challenged where they are.) There are several threads on here about the pros and cons of Lynchburg.

Best of luck.
Yeah I have considered that. I won't even need to have rooms. My company is moving to Lynchburg because they can get a huge villa for about half the price, they can get a small villa in Fredericksburg. So my company will basically have rooms availible on the second floor. They wanted that so they have places for people we want to employ in the rooms. Yeah I have considered sleeping in one of those for the weekdays, but I would lose A LOT of family time. Do you mind linking some threads about Lynchburg Pros and Cons? And yeah I am worried about weather conditions as well. By the way if this helps you I am a carpenter.

I actually do have 2 colleagues that also want to stay in Fredericksburg as well. My bosses are thinking to maybe have us come to Lynchburg 3 times a week instead of 5, because then we can pick up stuff the first day, and take the wood to fredericksburg and work there, because one of my friends that I work with has a huge shed, that we can maybe work there 2 days a week, and come to Lynchburg 3 days a week. But if that doesn't work out I will probably have to consider staying in Lynchburg for the week. Its just my kids will really miss me a lot and my wife will as well.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:49 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
At the top of the Virginia forum and also on the Roanoke one, there is a "search" feature. There's quite a few threads.

As a quick synopsis, I'll say if you are a fairly traditional, conservative, religious family, you'll probably like Lynchburg. All of the churches, scouts, sports, youth groups etc are available. If you are seeking a cosmopolitan, diverse, liberal area, you probably won't like it quite so much. There are a good number of restaurants and there are several colleges so plays, concerts, art shows etc are also plentiful. But read through the threads and see both sides for yourself.

Best of luck.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:10 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
One way to think about it.....I can't imagine you doing this forever - however, you might be able to suck it up and do it for a while - esp. with the 3 day a week option - and it would buy you some time as you evaluate whether you value your job most (at the cost of losing your location) or whether you value your location the most (at the cost of losing your job). Make sure the family is ALL IN with the price everyone will have to pay.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:03 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
NO! If you do not want to move the family, then become a geographical bachelor. Rent a room in Lynchburg and come home on the weekend.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:33 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
I know Richmond to Lynchburg is a good 2 hours at least.

So....driving each way at least 2 hours a day or even a few times a week...how much more time without being exhausted will that give you with your family?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
The idea of a villa, a vast one at that, and one that houses a company and guests has me intriqued.

Where in Lynchburg is this?

Old 01-11-2014, 07:35 PM

895 posts, read 2,095,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
The idea of a villa, a vast one at that, and one that houses a company and guests has me intriqued.

Where in Lynchburg is this?
My guess is a hotel. The Hampton Inn was just sold... Could be a mgmnt team coming to operate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia