Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 AM

46 posts, read 61,703 times

Advertisements

I am currently a high school student who has live in MI my whole life. I love a lot about Michigan especially the weather but I'm getting restless and in a couple years I have the opportunity to leave! So I'm torn between a few states, Virginia being on of them. I've done extensive research on all the states I have pasted this thread on, most of it being on this website, but none of the information was tailored for me.
So I am wondering- is Virginia, specifically the Northern parts right for a young, single girl fresh out of high school? I would start out going to either JMU or VT, or Radford has my safety school, but only if I intended to live in VA for a long period of time after college graduation. Below is a little about me.

1. I enjoy warm but not Florida hot weather. I don't mind a little chill, love the rain.
2. I like swimming especially in natural water. Adore the beach on lakes and oceans both. Fishing is something I don't ever want to give up!
3. I intend to Major in Business, I'd like a job managing a corporation or being a real estate broker.
4. Coming from a place like MI, I need a state that's not the same all year. A little variety in seasons.
5.I would have no family near me with no connections in any of the states I've posted this on, so low crime and high moral would be a plus.
6.I would like a small farm one day with smaller animals
7.I live in a big college town, I could never live in a small place with one little shop. I like driving an ten minutes away and having everything I need.
8. Big, naturally curly hair; for those of you who can relate, you know that weather is a HUGE factor in our ability to look like poo or look fabulous. Any tips? (Unimportant I know, but come on a young single girl has gotta look good!)
9. I am ethnic though its not obvious, if my family came and visited, it would be clear I am mixed. Can't live in any racially tense areas. I hear a lot of stereotypes about the south and while I know most of them are just silly myths in this day and age, I still feel the need to mention it.
10. I love diversity! I don't just mean ethnically, though that is a plus, but with class and religion, styles, everything. I don't mind trailers and mansions, Catholics or atheist, rock and roll queens or timid blue grass lovers. I really enjoy every human being, the more the merrier
11. I like a bit of southern charm, but I'm also fairly liberal on social issues. I'm also not religious one bit.
12. I like "bang for my buck". I like big houses, big food, big everything. Economy is a major factor for me, so BIG economy with lots of variety in careers.
13. Having a family is very important to me. I understand that may mean moving away from the major cities im posting in, but over all, is the state good for raising a family in?
14. I like FUN. Not major all the time sky diving fun, but I cannot imagine living in a boring state/city period.

The main places Im interested In are Virginia Beach (I hear there is lots of crime?) Norfolk, and Richmond. A big city would be my preference but nothing so major that I cant walk outside at night without checking over my shoulder every five minutes.

Last edited by StuckinMi; 02-02-2014 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: Wasnt finished
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 02:03 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,142,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinMi View Post
I am currently a high school student who has live in MI my whole life. I love a lot about Michigan especially the weather but I'm getting restless and in a couple years I have the opportunity to leave! So I'm torn between a few states, Virginia being on of them. I've done extensive research on all the states I have pasted this thread on, most of it being on this website, but none of the information was tailored for me.
So I am wondering- is Virginia, specifically the Northern parts right for a young, single girl fresh out of high school? I would start out going to either JMU or VT, or Radford has my safety school, but only if I intended to live in VA for a long period of time after college graduation. Below is a little about me.

1. I enjoy warm but not Florida hot weather. I don't mind a little chill, love the rain.

8. Big, naturally curly hair; for those of you who can relate, you know that weather is a HUGE factor in our ability to look like poo or look fabulous. Any tips? (Unimportant I know, but come on a young single girl has gotta look good!)

The main places Im interested In are Virginia Beach (I hear there is lots of crime?) Norfolk, and Richmond. A big city would be my preference but nothing so major that I cant walk outside at night without checking over my shoulder every five minutes.
If you are coming here for college, you must first get into said college. Virginia state schools are becoming increasingly harder and harder to get into. You mentioned Virginia Beach as as attraction, but the three schools you mentioned are about 4 hours away, across the entire state.

Also, the three schools you mentioned are in the mountains, so you will get a lot more than "a little chill" in the winter.

(As someone who has big, naturally curly hair, I would stay AWAY from Va Beach. The humidity will kill your hair.)

Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 AM

7,056 posts, read 19,321,291 times
When deciding where to go to college, I wouldn't worry too much about where (geographically) you want to end up permanently after college. First, focus on your academic and career goals and find the place that will set you up for them. Do research on the degree programs, the faculty who are in those programs, the internship and/or research opportunities, and what the graduates of those programs end up doing after graduation. You'll probably find a bunch of schools throughout the country whose academic programs excite you.

Then use what cities those colleges are in as one of your "narrowing down" criteria later. College is 4 years of your life. You certainly should aim to spend it in a place you think you'll enjoy, but realize college isn't permanent, so don't make the city or state your top priority and then try to find a college nearby that is "good enough," do it in reverse.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:37 PM

46 posts, read 61,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
When deciding where to go to college, I wouldn't worry too much about where (geographically) you want to end up permanently after college. First, focus on your academic and career goals and find the place that will set you up for them. Do research on the degree programs, the faculty who are in those programs, the internship and/or research opportunities, and what the graduates of those programs end up doing after graduation. You'll probably find a bunch of schools throughout the country whose academic programs excite you.

Then use what cities those colleges are in as one of your "narrowing down" criteria later. College is 4 years of your life. You certainly should aim to spend it in a place you think you'll enjoy, but realize college isn't permanent, so don't make the city or state your top priority and then try to find a college nearby that is "good enough," do it in reverse.
It's as though you read my mind; just seconds ago, yes less then a minute, I exited off of college pages. A few minutes ago I told myself the same thing. I keep finding states (specifically TN) and THEN looking for colleges. Its been a struggle because the best business school in TN is very expensive. So I looked up a bunch of business schools without specifying state and several were in VA, and one in MI so close to me I could ride my bike.

I know it's off topic, but its good hearing reassurance. I come from a family the doesn't speak to each other so hearing words of advice that actually work is greatly appreciated, and I could not agree with you more. College searching is a stressful process; I'm only making it harder on myself by trying to plan the rest of my life along with it.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:17 AM

83 posts, read 113,496 times
I'll toss out that Richmond is a nice mix of "big city" and southern charm. I grew up in Alexandria, and I'd qualify the residents as cold and standoffish in general.

Richmond isn't too far from Northern Va. and has so much going for it. Our daughter graduated from VCU and we've fallen in love with the city. It has "upscale" stuff like museums, etc. and amazing local food. There is good public transportation. You can live in town without a car.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:00 AM

382 posts, read 868,595 times
I second the others when they say keep that focus and drive on getting that college degree first, you are very limited without it nowadays. It opens up so many doors, even if you don't work in your field of study. Your wants and needs will change many more times i'm sure, just make your chasing the right one at the right time.

Good Luck, and don't rush it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia