Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 06:16 PM

28 posts, read 75,723 times

Advertisements

We want to stay in the 30 mile (or so) range from work. I saw a town called Manassas? It looks ok. I realize the housing costs are significantly different, but I guees we are looking for a middle to upper middle class suburb. We aren't rich. Gosh, I really feel a little tentative here. I have tried to read some posts and get information, and there is so much insulting and fighting. Please take it easy on a Texas girl. I am scared to move across country and I don't know anything about that area. We have one second grader so schools are important. Thanks and Happy holidays to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 04:24 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,005,439 times
Hi,

I first lived in McLean and then when I got married, my husband wanted acreage, so we moved to a gorgeous "estate" home in Manassas. Manassas is just a mix - it's more like a city with different divisions than it is just one homogenous place. There are some bad areas, and some very, very nice areas.

Now, there are some newer areas of the county that are very popular with people with children. These include Haymarket, Bristow and Gainesville. Bristow is home to the community "Braemar" (as well as a few others, but you hear about Braemar a lot). I always *hate* to send all new people to these places because there are so many interesting, older places out there, but you almost can't go wrong with these (almost - I don't want anyone to pull in examples of how you can go wrong - no place is perfect). This is just personal, but I would maybe favor Haymarket here ... Bristow just seems a little bit cliquish - I just knew too many Bristow moms. Haymarket (and Gainesville) also offer close access to 66. You can check the schools on www.greatschools.net - they are great.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:12 PM

267 posts, read 1,675,737 times
You're looking in the 30 mile range, but that can translate into 1-2 hour commutes depending on where and when. Manassass to DC is not the greatest commute, although the VRE(commuter train) does run from Manassass to DC. Where exactly in DC will you be working? I'm from Greenville, TX originally so I know how the Dallas traffic can be. DC is just as bad, and worse. Where to live is dependent on where the job is. There is a reason Manassass is cheaper. Schools aren't the best, the crime rate can vary and the the population is highly populated with immigrants (illegal and legal) in certain areas. Don't look just where it's cheaper. It's cheaper for a reason. We're in Loudoun which has good schools, low crime, but high home prices. There are tradeoffs.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:17 PM

My husband said Tysons Corner. He goes there so much and I have never been. He said he really likes Chantilly, but wow. I hate that the housing market is the way it is now, but maybe we can get into a decent home for a good price. Some people that he works with say they, and quite a few other employees live in Ashburn? There is only one person we know in Chantilly, but her and her husband both high up in different companies, lots of money. When I first found out we were going we talked about commuting by train. He knows one person that travels from Philly! I don't think that would work for us. I think it would be best case scenario to live as cose to Tysons Corner as possible!

Old 12-30-2007, 12:19 PM

Ok it was late last night when I typed that. I knew exactly what I was talking about! Ok, his work is in Tysons corner. People he works with are just saying here is where I live, and it's nice. A few people here have given us some ideas and we appreciate it. There are so many factors to look at. I would like to hear about Sugarlan Run? Pretty close to Tysons Corner as well. My husband says he plays golf there occasionally and there were some nice houses. I have not seen anything about it on the posts. Thanks guys.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:13 PM

267 posts, read 1,675,737 times
Sugarland Run is an older neighborhood that now has a high immigrant population and I personally would not move there. It's in Loudoun county which overall has good schools, but I'd say the worst schools are in parts of Sterling, specifically Sterling Park and Sugarland Run. I think you really need to come check out the area. Loudoun overall has a low crime rate, but Sterling has the majority of major crimes in the county. A lot of people in Loudoun commute to Tysons. You could even look in Leesburg, but be aware traffic is heavy on the route he would be traveling. There are tradeoffs. The closer to Tyson's you live, generally it's more expensive. The farther out, the commute is worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia