Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:42 AM

595 posts, read 2,312,658 times

Advertisements

Redneck or not--It is a very safe city, and a great University. There were more homicides in DC yesterday, than there were in Harrisonburg all year! Look around, you'll find plenty of nose piercings and tattoos, if that's what your into. You won't find rats, muggers, or other garbage on the streets, though. Take a thirty minute drive to Reddish Knob--it's one of the most spectacular views in the State. Grab a bite to eat at Jesse's Quick Lunch on Main St. (run by immigrants, BTW).

If you want to be around a bunch of Liberals, move to Berkeley. But watch your step, there are homeless people all over the place, as well as a huge crime wave from Oakland. I lived in Harrisonburg for four years and was always treated respectfully by the locals.

I had a gay communications professor, who jokingly referred to Weyer's Cave as *****'s Cave. Maybe you would be more comfy there.

Last edited by barryhussein; 07-15-2008 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,127 times
If you are a liberal, gay, Yankee or any type of freak, harrisonburg is to the area what the American compound is to Saudi Arabia. There is a "sub culture" in Harrisonburg that kind of hides in the shadows of JMU. There are a few business all of which I think have been named that I would call liberal friendly but remember they are not just a few of them, THOSE ARE ESSENTIALLY ALL OF THEM. Smashing car windows that have Obama stickers is still a favorite passtime.

Harrisonburg's government is often more liberal than the population because for a long time it has been so business as usual in the area that the resident population is often complacent. This often allows special interests to sneek into office for a spell. If you are a liberal you can live in Harrisonburg if you are thick skinned but venturing out of the 2x3 mile city and it's a whole different story. In many of the small outlying communities, I'd say it could be quite dangerous for a yankee. Gay we won't even talk about. Gays and the Confederate flag don't mix well.

BTW, that Unitarian "church" gets vandalized regularly, it's neighbors hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia