Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2007, 12:26 PM

170 posts, read 983,010 times

Advertisements

I'm from NJ and we get pretty hot and humid summers here. How do NJ summers compare to Virginias summer as far as heat and humidity go??

Also, is the winter shorter in Virginia?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 01:25 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,604 times
The winters are definately milder in VA than NJ. For the past few years here in Roanoke, I have noticed a warmer winter with less snow than years past. So far this year I haven't seen any appreciable snowfall in Roanoke, but in the outlying rural mountain areas, snow is much more common due to higher elevations. Neighboring NC gets more ice generally which can be treacherous.
Richmond, Norfolk and Washington DC have horrible humid summers. I know a lot of people who live in DC who leave for the summer. We still have humid summers here in the mountains of SW VA but with the higher elevations it seems to be much more bearable anyway. One still needs air conditioning in the mountains.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:56 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,659,076 times
hey windsurfingiskewl, I concur with roanoker4. I lived in NJ for, basically, my whole life...made the move to the Roanoke valley this last August. It is just as hot here as in Jersey. I dont think that the humidity is quite as oppressive, though, as up north. It is humid and hazy, though...last summer meant mostly hazy views of the mountains. But I think the slightly higher elevation might help cut the humidity.
Winter has been waaaaay milder here than NJ/NYC. A friend of mine here just mentioned to me a week or so ago, that if I didn't get used to the idea that this cold snap is "winter", I'd never have a winter here.
The snow makes the mountains really pretty, even if it's just a little snow.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:33 PM

170 posts, read 983,010 times
Thanks. What about the folliage? How long do the leaves stay on the trees and when do they grow back?

Up in Maine, there are no leaves on the trees by halloween. In NJ, the leaves stay till around early to mid november. They usually grow back in late april.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:49 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,659,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
Thanks. What about the folliage? How long do the leaves stay on the trees and when do they grow back?

Up in Maine, there are no leaves on the trees by halloween. In NJ, the leaves stay till around early to mid november. They usually grow back in late april.
VA had a pretty dry summer this year, and I believe that it pushed the color change back a bit (shortened Autumn, esentially). Seems like the colors lit up around Halloween, and then the trees gradually started losing leaves.
My background with Fall color change is with NJ, upstate NY, and the Rockies a little. In a "normal" Fall here in VA, I don't think we get as many brilliant reds as the northeast does. But there were some amazing contrasts, including some oranges that lit up like fire...beautiful. And the cooler weather killed the summer humidity haze on the mountains so you could see the contrasts, shadows, valleys, couloirs[sp] really well.
This will be my first VA Spring, so I'll have to wait and see when all the foliage comes back. But I'll tell you this...it gets ridiculously lush and green here in the summer. There are sections of rt 220 near Boones Mill that looked like a rainforest!!

Old 12-25-2007, 06:59 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,604 times
Default Views

I have seen some spectacular reds when the weather coperates but this year was not good for color. In the winter if there is a light snow and the parkway is open try a drive up to Peaks of Otter, very quiet and peaceful.
If the parkway is closed, take us460 east to Bedford and take the access road to the Peaks(always open in winter). The Hotel is open year round.
Avoid the Buchanan access road in winter! Another good view of the mountains is to take rt311 from Salem up to New Castle, over the mountain.
The road can be like a roller coaster at times but the views are superb!
While you're there visit the Homeplace Restaurant(check hrs before you go).
Just a tip for the newcomers. Enjoy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia